Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
ParadoxGames

Default People who never played TFT yet

I never played TFT before, although for years I wanted to. Now, with the game back under SJG's helm, I've been anticipating the chance to fianlly go on fantastic adventures.

Is there anyione else who never played but have been curious, before the public announcement of the TFT's return? What's drawing you to the game?

And for those who are veterans to the game, I'd love to hear the story of your introduction to the game. I want to try to experience, through your words, what it was like to first encounter/buy/play the game in thse classic gaming days.

Also, are Cardboard Heroes related/compatible with TFT?
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: People who never played TFT yet

You'll love TFT. For your question on how we all got started, it sounds like you want to pore over the Obligatory "How Did You Get Started in TFT Thread.
. I first used Carboard Heroes for TFT.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
Skarg

Cardboard heroes are compatible with TFT... though if you're using standard hexes, they're a little big if you start having a bunch of dead bodies - you may want some flat stand-in counters for people who are lying down.

I'm so grateful that TFT was my first RPG. For me it was at a perfect level of complexity, easy enough to learn (especially starting with arena duels in Melee) but you can add enough to keep you busy for years, and even at the basic level, a simple fight is interesting and exciting to play, and (most important to me) the rules generally make sense as a representation of what's going on and what tactics make sense and what specific situations lead to what outcomes.

It makes RPG combat something a game unto itself that's worth playing just for the sake of that game, rather than something abstract to get over with.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
JLV

I think most of the active writers on here are "old heads" from back in the 70's and 80's who found TFT great the first time around. But I sincerely hope you're only one of hundreds of new players to come! And I hope you'll keep writing on here -- your ideas and opinions are going to be very important to keeping TFT alive.

I kind of envy you the discovery you're about to enjoy! ;-) But welcome aboard, and I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
XRaysVision

I am one of those who has never played TFT. My best gaming buddy has tons of experience with it. He was playing since the early releases while I was playing board games from SPI and Metagaming. He extolles the virtues of TFT and still has all his stuff from his early days.

I did dabble in the TFT clone from Dark City and have most of those solo adventures.

By the way, my friend has forbidden me from reading certain adventures being re-released because he wants the pleasure of GMing them.
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
By the way, my friend has forbidden me from reading certain adventures being re-released because he wants the pleasure of GMing them.
Welcome to TFT. You're in for a treat.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
LOL! I did that with Call of Cthulhu back in 1981 -- in fact, I wouldn't even let my players read any of the fiction (which was, admittedly, quite a bit harder to find back then) for the first year so I could have the pleasure of introducing the various monsters to them for the first time! I think you'll really enjoy that! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote