Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #131
ladyarcana55

Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
If we can get backgrounds and characters done and approved this week, I'd like to kick the actual game off by Monday, February 2nd.

Sounds like a plan?
YES! I'll definitely work on Ariella
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #132
archypetro

I should be ready by then too!

Just working out how I'm going to get everything I want :)
archypetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #133
archypetro

A quick question regarding disadvantages:

In addition to the disadvantages that the were provided in the template we're allowed an additional -10, right? or can we take a few more? Gregarious/Workaholic etc.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #134
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
One thing I'd like to see is a timeline of significant events. It doesn't have to be super detailed, or even give exact dates...years are fine. Things like Birth, military join date, significant training or operational events, etc. If your characters have families (most should) some details about parents, siblings, spouses, and children will all help flesh out the characters.
How's this...

Ariella “Lioness” Zarzecki

Born December 15, 1984, Ariella Zarzecki was the third child in a family of two daughters and three sons. Gilad, Oded, Ariella, Yoel and Zamira. Growing up in Israel has always been anything but boring. The perpetual sense of caution and fear one gets used to over time. Even the bombings can become a common occurrence, a way the human mind rectifies a terrible situation. But it did not take long for Ariella to grow tired of the fear she felt and saw around her. And when a suicide bomber killed her mother and severally injured her baby brother, she swore she would live up to her name and be the Lioness who would protect her people and her homeland.

When she turned 18, she did not hesitate to join the IDF. They did not have to conscript her, she was eager to take her place among the heroes who did much to protect their people. She excelled in her studies and her training and rose in rank quickly, much to the concern of her parents. They always dreamed she would marry well and raise a family. It was difficult for them to accept that she had other plans. They were alarmed when Ariella told them she had petitioned to join the Sayeret. Her mother cried when Ariella was accepted.

By this time, she had given ten years of her life to the defense of her homeland. She was fearless and focused. She soaked in everything she was taught like a sponge and the more she learned the more she hated the terrorists who would attack and destroy innocent people. The more she hated them, the more determined she was to stop them, by whatever means necessary. She had a passion not often seen in veteran soldiers, let alone one so young.

Then came her first mission. She was tasked with infiltrating a terrorist cell in finding any and all information. It took months of preparation. She had to learn the Islamic culture, the languages, the Koran, every that would be expected of her. When she was deemed ready, she wasn’t afraid, she wasn’t nervous or excited. She was calm and focused. It took months of living among them, slaving for them, enduring poor treatment, but she earned their trust. Or rather, she had become familiar enough that the people would ignore her presence. She took advantage of that to acquire all the information she could of these people and their plans. She even managed to set a couple of the men up to take the fall for her. Then she planted a bomb among the arsenal that was being hidden there and she left.

It was more successful than anyone had expected. No one among the enemy ever guessed Israel would send a woman to do a man’s job so it was very easy for her to move about, and the birqa made disguises and make up a non-issue. And the best part about it, no one knew that she was the one who did it and she was able to use this identity for further missions.

Since then she has had many other successful missions. She has found and identified threats, hide outs, and weapons bunkers among other things. Those that were not captured or destroyed by IDF forces were destroyed by her. In time her gender became known among those of her field and many learned to be wary lest they come to the Lioness of Israel’s attention.

She has had the honor of serving and protecting Israel for 15 years. But now her prey have have to other jungles to hide and her superiors have informed her that it is time for her to stalk her prey where ever they may hide. And so, here she is. Ready for her next assignment.

Gilad is the oldest of the five. He was born in 1979 and he is a doctor. He and his wife are expecting their fifth child.

Oded was born in 1981 and he is a high school teacher. His wife just gave birth to their third child.

Yoel was born in 1986. He recovered from his injuries as much as he was able and he became a rabbi. He is married with two children.

Zamira is a graphic designer. She is married with one child.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #135
TheOneRonin

Great write-up, LadyArcana55!

@archypetro: The base template has 85 points of disadvantages. 75 of those 85 points are already picked for you. For the remaining 10 points, you must choose from the approved list of disadvantages. If you want to get more disads, I'm okay with that as well, just don't go overboard.

@MatthewVilter: Are you still interested in this game? If so, please try to submit a basic build this week.

@Fifiste: Did you see the build I sent to you for your character? Let me know what you think.

Also, I'll be out of town this weekend, but if I get everyone's characters and approve them before then, I'll be ready to kick off the game by Monday.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #136
MatthewVilter

Yep, yep, very interested. This week, no problem.

Quick question: Why are ST and HT each 5 points (instead of 10) in the PJ template?
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #137
archypetro

Okay, thanks for the update. I'll try to get the guy written up today (i'm out on friday/saturday too) but if it fails i'll have it done by the end of sunday, ready for monday.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #138
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
Yep, yep, very interested. This week, no problem.

Quick question: Why are ST and HT each 5 points (instead of 10) in the PJ template?
Because I'm dumb and messed up the costs. :-)

Fixed now, so the PJ Lens is priced correctly.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:19 AM   #139
MatthewVilter

Timeline outline:

18 years - Grows up on family farm, honor student, lots of friends.
~1 year - Starts on technical degree in agriculture. Then 9/11, joins USAF.
2 years - Immediately starts pararescue training (good thing his high school had a nice pool).
9 years - Active pararescue work in Afghanistan and Iraq + cross training and black ops support with other special forces.
~1 year - Return to civilian life, wraps up educational credentials (GE from agriculture school, EMT training, correspondence courses, etc), joins SAD.
~1 year - SAD training.
2 years - SAD ops.

34 years old, 14 years military/intelligence experience, ~1.5 bachelor degree level credentials, EMT certified.

Build:

Base template [300]
-Central Asian Cultural Familiarity
-Native Farsi/Kurdish
-Accented Arabic
-Broad-Minded, Congenial, Humble, Responsive, Dislikes “thugs and bullies”, Curious*
-Area Knowledge (USA) and (Afghanistan)
-Current Affairs (Headline News)
-Survival (Mountain) and (Plains)

*not sure on this...thoughts?

Pararescue [56]

Accented Hindi-Urdu [4]
South Asian Cultural Familiarity [1]
West Asian Cultural Familiarity [1]

Attractive [4]

Area Knowledge (Pakistan) 13 [1]
Area Knowledge (Iraq) 13 [1]
Survival (Desert) 14 [2]

Breath Control HT/H 12 [2]
Forward Observer IQ/A 12 [1]
Scrounging Per/E 14 [1]
Streetwise IQ/A 12 [1]
Urban Survival Per/A 14 [1]
Weather Sense IQ/A 12 [1]

Bicycling DX/E 13 [1]
Farming IQ/A 12 [1]
Riding (Horse) DX/A 12 [1]

...that’s 380 points...I think...

Full character sheet and background writeup to follow.
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 AM   #140
ammulder

So I'm in the process of writing up one of Carter Murphy's early missions in Afghanistan (the Sep 2002 entry on his timeline). He was wounded during the mission, making it difficult for his team of four Green Berets to get down from the craggy mountain near Pakistan where the op took place to a flatter spot where a helicopter could pick them up.

If you don't want us to all come into this as total strangers, then MatthewVilter, it could be that one of your guy's first missions was to parajump onto this Taliban-occupied mountain to help cart Carter to a pick-up. Of course, the characters probably would have lost contact since then, so it would be one of those "surprise reunions" when they first throw us in a room together at SAD. (Naturally, the boss knew all along -- it being the CIA after all -- but the characters wouldn't know in advance.)
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, espionage, martial arts, tactical shooting, technical grappling