Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #121
ammulder

Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

I saw American Sniper last night. Kind of a mood setting thing. :)

MatthewVilter, I hope you can come up with a character!
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #122
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammulder View Post
I saw American Sniper last night. Kind of a mood setting thing. :)

MatthewVilter, I hope you can come up with a character!
Yup...I have an oscar screening copy of it that's been calling my name for a couple of days now. I'm really excited to see it.

I'm still not finished with Ladyarcana55's character...hope to get that done in the next day or so. And MatthewVilter needs to submit his first draft, and then we will be ready to go.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #123
TheOneRonin

@ Ladyarcana55

I finally finished your character.

Here is the whole sheet:
Spoiler:  

Below is a summary of changes from the base template:

The following skills were added or improved by adding the Special Forces, Weapons Expert, and Combat Engineer lenses:
  • Added Armory (Small Arms)
  • Improved Body Language
  • Improved Diplomacy
  • Added Engineer (Combat)
  • Added Engineer (Civil)
  • Improved Explosives (Demo)
  • Added Explosives (EOD)
  • Added Explosives (Fireworks)
  • Improved Gunner (Machine guns)
  • Improved Guns (Rifle) and defaulting skills
  • Improved Stealth
  • Improved Teaching
  • Added OTW: Architecture Defaults to IQ for building Demo

Since you wanted to focus on also being a good infiltrator, I spent your remaining points on improving the following skills:
  • Acting
  • Climbing
  • Detect Lies
  • Escape
  • Interrogation
  • Judo
  • Karate
  • Knife
  • Lip Reading
  • Lock Picking
  • Photography
  • Pickpocket

I bought up Judo a Karate a lot...I figure Hand-to-hand skills are going to be a lifesaver if you do a lot of group infiltration.

You still need to choose 10 points worth of disadvantages from the approved list and pick a specialty for your Current Events skill.

Let me know if this fits your vision or if there are some tweaks you want to make.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #124
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
@ Ladyarcana55

I finally finished your character.
Thank you so much! And I'm so sorry to make things a bit difficult!

Quote:
I bought up Judo a Karate a lot...I figure Hand-to-hand skills are going to be a lifesaver if you do a lot of group infiltration.
Awesome! But can her primary hand-to-hand style be Krav Maga? It would make sense since that is the main style they use.

Quote:
You still need to choose 10 points worth of disadvantages from the approved list and pick a specialty for your Current Events skill.
I would think that after everything she has seen and done, she would have a prejudice against Arabic people, but Arabic men especially. Can this sort of racism be her disadvantage?

Quote:
Let me know if this fits your vision or if there are some tweaks you want to make.
Luvs it! I totally luvs it! I'll try to get a more in depth back story together soon.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #125
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Thank you so much! And I'm so sorry to make things a bit difficult!
No worries. Like I said before, it's a HUGE base template, so it's not easy to work with.

Quote:
Awesome! But can her primary hand-to-hand style be Krav Maga? It would make sense since that is the main style they use.
Remember, in GURPS the "Karate" skill is not the Japanese Karate style. The skill just represents training in a formal body of striking techniques using fists, feet, and everything in between. Likewise, the "Judo" skill just represents formal grappling training that includes throws and takedowns and what not.

Depending on the complexity level you are comfortable with, we can handle this one of two ways:

FLAVOR APPROACH
We leave the skills as is and just say that your character has training in Krav Maga. Anything a Krav Maga person can do in real life can be replicated with the Karate and Judo skills, including elbows, knees to the groin, weapon disarms, etc. So it is a narrative change that doesn't affect anything mechanical in the game.

MECHANICAL APPROACH
In GURPS: Martial Arts, you can spend some points to learn specific styles like Krav Maga. Each style has some skill requirements, and once you spend the requisite points, it unlocks the ability to buy certain perks and improve certain techniques. I love using the Martial Arts rules and the options they open, but if you aren't familiar with the rules, then I'm not sure if you would get anything out of this approach.

You let me know which one you want to take, and I'll be happy to implement it.

Quote:
I would think that after everything she has seen and done, she would have a prejudice against Arabic people, but Arabic men especially. Can this sort of racism be her disadvantage?
You might have to be careful with this one. Having an Intolerance disadvantage might making infiltrating such groups VERY difficult. There's nothing wrong with having a hatred of such people, but that's more of an RP thing than a full-blown disadvantage.

You aren't limited to the list below, but these are disads that make sense in the game world for these types of agents to have:

Charitable, Chummy or Gregarious, Intolerance (of terrorists or threats to the US, worth 5 points), Overconfidence, Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents, worth 10 points), Selfless, and Workaholic.

Quote:
Luvs it! I totally luvs it! I'll try to get a more in depth back story together soon.
Please do. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #126
ladyarcana55

Quote:
FLAVOR APPROACH
We leave the skills as is and just say that your character has training in Krav Maga. Anything a Krav Maga person can do in real life can be replicated with the Karate and Judo skills, including elbows, knees to the groin, weapon disarms, etc. So it is a narrative change that doesn't affect anything mechanical in the game.
I'll go for this one. Let's try to keep it simple. LOL

Quote:
You might have to be careful with this one. Having an Intolerance disadvantage might making infiltrating such groups VERY difficult. There's nothing wrong with having a hatred of such people, but that's more of an RP thing than a full-blown disadvantage.
Ooh...I hadn't thought of that. Let's go for Workaholic and/or Selfless
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #127
archypetro

Hi TOR,

I was wondering if there's still yet another place? (I sent a PM with a few more details)
archypetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #128
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by archypetro View Post
Hi TOR,

I was wondering if there's still yet another place? (I sent a PM with a few more details)
There certainly is room. I'll review your pm when I get home.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #129
TheOneRonin

Alright...this is coming together.

He is a recap of what we have so far:
  • Ammulder: Army SF/Intel/Face, Western European/Russian/North African focus
  • Ladyarcana55: Israeli Sayeret Combat Engineer/Wps Expert/Infiltrator with a Middle Eastern Focus
  • Fifiste: Former Croatian Army mechanic, then US Navy SEAL, Vehicle Pilot/Mechanic expert, explosives and sabotage, focus on Eastern Europe and Black/Adriatic sea areas
  • MatthewVilter: Former US Air Force PJ/Medic <more info coming>
  • Archypetro: <still working on specifics>

5 players is perfect, and we have just about all of the core bases covered.

If we can get backgrounds and characters done and approved this week, I'd like to kick the actual game off by Monday, February 2nd.

Sounds like a plan?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #130
ammulder

That works for me!
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, espionage, martial arts, tactical shooting, technical grappling