Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2020, 02:43 AM   #41
Rupert

Default Re: Dirty Cheap Unkillable [Powers]

So... I've just been reading Impulse Buys, and the rules for Flesh Wounds don't actually let you buy off nearly as much nasty as has been suggested - it lets you buy of the injury (i.e. Hit Point loss) but not the other effects (like becoming dead).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:59 AM   #42
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The Flesh Wounds cinematic rule is much cheaper than Extra Life, so I doubt that anyone will ever buy Extra Life in a game that uses that rule.
Flesh Wounds' initial powerful workings on B417 got a nice nerf in Impulse Buys where it basically counts like healing all but one lost HP or FP, but negates injury after it causes whatever effects that injury does, so there's still shock, knockdown, severed limbs, unconsciousness or death, if damage was enough to do that (now, not in basic)

Quote:
someone could keep a reserve of 4 CP, just in case, and get the same benefit as 100 CP worth of Extra Life.
I think that's why the note on pg 11 of IB:
"Those thinking of invoking Flesh Wounds (p. 10) to avoid the expense take note: Death, like unconsciousness and crippling, is just another injury effect. You can have your HP back
(which can make it easier to resurrect you with magic or ultratech), but you’ll still be a stiff!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
So... I've just been reading Impulse Buys, and the rules for Flesh Wounds don't actually let you buy off nearly as much nasty as has been suggested - it lets you buy of the injury (i.e. Hit Point loss) but not the other effects (like becoming dead).
Yeah, wasn't the case in basic set AFAIK (RAW) but it's a very sensible clarification.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:32 AM   #43
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
That's probably why it's good not to flaunt it. Like in many cases if an NPC thinks you're normal they'll shoot you and let you bleed out (save ammo) and assume you died.
True, but you might need points elsewhere to do that. But, if that's your character concept, that's awesome! Make the world think there is a secret society of superheroes just waiting for their turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I thought it always did that, weird. It actually came up once that someone used flesh wounds against a 7xhp attack. They absolutely died, but when the cleric found the body it was in good enough shape that there were no penalties to resurrection (there was still the steep money cost and giving up a valuable dragon heart...)

EDIT: I wonder if the modifiers for Extra Life would be fair on Unkillable? Requires Body could be fun, Copy might work if the character is otherwise already rich and manages to keep constant and lots of backups.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #44
AlexanderHowl

Well, the nerf to Flesh Wounds makes Extra Life and Unkillable much better than. It is still really easy to negate both though. Extra Life does not heal the character, nor does it prevent any other complications other than death.

For example, you could have Burning Attack 1d (Cyclic, 6 10 second cycles, Prevented by public confession of worst crime, +250%; Malediction 2, +150%; No Signature, Mundane, +25%; Symptoms, Disadvantage (Vulnerability (4x, Burning Damage), -1/3 HP, +240%; Symptoms, Disadvantage (Unhealing (Total)), -1/2 HP, +60%; Symptoms, Disadvantage (Fragile (Unnatural)), -2/3 HP, +50%; Variable, +5%) [44]. The attack is directly against the essence of the individual, making them more vulnerable to burning damage before blocking their ability to heal and, finally, their ability to exist. If a character possesses Extra Life, Extra Life would bring them back to life should they die, but it would not remove the Symptoms, as they can only be removed by healing.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #45
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I wonder if the modifiers for Extra Life would be fair on Unkillable?
Requires Body could be fun,
Copy might work if the character is otherwise already rich and manages to keep constant and lots of backups.
Evil Computer (H88) has both Copy and Requires Body on UK3 so that implies there's some trading allowed.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #46
Celjabba

Quote:
If a character possesses Extra Life, Extra Life would bring them back to life should they die, but it would not remove the Symptoms, as they can only be removed by healing.
That is a GM choice.

Quote:
No matter how sure your foes were that they killed you, you didn’t really die. Work out the details with the GM.
I can see your point.
Using the extra-life should not automatically erase disadvantages gained / restore lost advantages.

But in that specific case, as the symptoms come from/with the same attack that killed the player, imho : no, they don't come back.

Also, an unmodified Extra-life doesn't have to be "healing to full hp", it can be any justification you work out with the GM.

Perhaps it was your long lost twin ?
Or the attack set your coat ablaze, but not you ? Good think you picked up that sick mouse earlier.
Or a guardian angel / benevolent power / old one / nosy ascended being / ... happened to look in that direction that day ?
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #47
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Evil Computer (H88) has both Copy and Requires Body on UK3 so that implies there's some trading allowed.
For example, Unkillable 3(not Unkillable 1:-20%, copy:-20%, Requires a backup Server/shell :-20%, trigger: legal notification of destruction: -5%) [53] should/could replace extra-life on most THS infomorph, imho.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #48
AlexanderHowl

If the attack targets your soul, the effects should remain despite Extra Life.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #49
Celjabba

Quote:
In some settings.
And assuming the attack hit. With extra-life, that is not a given.

As a player, unless being well informed before the campaign start, I would be .. unhappy... to be killed by an attack, use my extra-life, and return permanently crippled by that same attack.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #50
Anders

Quote:
Maybe the curse stays in the Underworld.

Tags
evil computer, requires body