Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #81
kirbwarrior

Default Re: New perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
Highdentification (specialty):
Pick a drug. You are able to identify the amount and type of this drug when it is introduced into your body. You may pick from stimulants, depressants, hallucinogens, or whatever else the GM deems appropriate.
Definitely handy to have. I can bet a lot of settings have one particular drug that sticks out that you'd want to know about.

Then again, being immune to one specific thing is 1pt... but that's an exotic perk, this one sound somewhat plausible, if cinematic.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #82
Gumby Bush

And one might not actually want to be immune to some drugs, yet want to be able to precisely monitor the quantity in one's body. I can imagine this being true of both alcohol and caffeine, for instance.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #83
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby Bush View Post
And one might not actually want to be immune to some drugs, yet want to be able to precisely monitor the quantity in one's body. I can imagine this being true of both alcohol and caffeine, for instance.
You can also combine them. I could see like 4 1pt traits combine to 'reverse' the drug; immunity, this perk, blow dart perk, and a perk to let you 'remove' a drug from your system into your blowdart (probably still needs the regular amount of time first aid or whatever would have but lets you do it tool free).

I definitely like the alcohol idea. You might even be able to track how much it is affecting you despite the IQ penalty so you never hit 'drunk'.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #84
JulianLW

Reading the "Silly Perks" thread, I started thinking about creating new perks based on Smooth Talent pricing, but with non-talent advantages. These perks all have prerequisites and are a way of embellishing existing advantages. Because they have sometimes expensive prerequisites, they are sometimes a bit more powerful than standard perks. Thoughts?

I Have a Bad Feeling About This

Prerequisite: Danger Sense or Intuition and Strategy or Tactics

This perk gives +1 to either your Strategy or Tactics skill. You may buy this perk once for each skill.

Great Body ‡

Prerequisites: Fit or Very Fit and Sex Appeal.

You're in great shape, and people can tell. If you are Fit and have spent at least one point on Sex Appeal, you may buy one level of Great Body for an additional +1 to Sex Appeal. If you are Very Fit, you may buy a second level of Great Body for +2 to Sex Appeal.

An Instant Faster

Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes and Fast-Draw.

Once per session, you may preempt the Wait maneuver of an opponent by spending 1 FP and beating him in a Quick Contest of your Fast-Draw -4 vs. his DX. (The +1 to Fast-Draw from Combat Reflexes counts as usual, and any Fast-Draw skill will work - i.e. you may roll against Fast-Draw Sword without being armed with a sword.) If you win this Contest, you may act before your Waiting opponent.

Vacation Home †‡

Prerequisite: Wealthy.

You have an additional home somewhere: a beach house, a lake house, a cabin in the mountains, etc. You must specify the location for each extra home when you buy the perk. The house matches your Status level and is not secret, like the Base perk from Power-Ups 2; anybody who investigates can easily find out that you are the owner. You may buy your first Vacation Home for one character point if you have at least 20 points in Wealth advantages, and you may buy additional Vacation Homes for each 5 extra points your character has invested in Wealth. If you are Filthy Rich, you may spend as many CP as you like on Vacation Homes. Because you have spent CP instead of in-game money to acquire these houses, treat them as Signature Gear. If, for some reason, your character loses points in Wealth, you may opt to lose the points spent on Vacation Homes before losing points in the Wealth trait. The GM must approve each Vacation Home should require an in-game explanation of how the house was acquired, as with Signature Gear (i.e. this perk should not be used to circumvent game challenges - "I just happen to have a cabin right here in the Carpathian Mountains!").

The Power of Love †‡

Prerequisite: at least 5 CP invested in Allies or an Ally with a FoA of 15 or better.

For every level of The Power of Love, you may get a +1 per session to any single roll to give direct assistance to your Ally. Any roll that will benefit your Ally qualifies: from a complementary roll to a damage roll against a foe in combat with the Ally. You may buy as many levels of this perk as you wish, but buying more than 4 levels for the same Ally changes the trait to Buddy Bond from Pyramid 3/53, which is useable any time you assist your Buddy.

I Knew This Would Happen

Prerequisite: Intuition or Common Sense.

Once per session you may use an unspent character point (or Impulse Buy point or Destiny point) to buy a roll against IQ-4 to get a single use of Foresight from Pyramid 3/53. If you fail the IQ roll, you lose the character point. At the GM's discretion, a complementary roll against an appropriate skill may improve your IQ roll.

Extra Mental Cage *‡

Prerequisite: Mind Trap

If you have spent any points on the Mind Trap technique, you may buy extra mental cages - up to as many levels as half your Mind Shield level. You must spend 1 FP to activate an Extra Mental Cage, and it will work for only a limited time - as many minutes as your margin of success on a Mind Trap roll; at that point, you must roll to trap your opponent again, though at a +3 for being restrained, as per "Additional Contact" in Psionic Powers.

Spare ID ‡

Prerequisites: Alternate Identity and Forgery.

You have passable fake identification documents to use for emergencies. Once per session per level of this perk, you may use fake documents unconnected to any of your identities to satisfy authorities for one situation or scene. Each use of Extra Documents requires a successful Forgery roll, modified by BAD level or by the difficulty of the situation. A success means the identity works without problems; any failure must be roleplayed. A critical failure on this roll threatens to expose your Alternate Identity. Each time you use this perk, it must be renewed by spending 1/20 starting wealth between sessions, though these funds may come from a budget supplied by a Patron or the like.

Daring Skill †‡

Prerequisite: Daredevil

For any single risky skill you may always reroll a critical failure, no matter the circumstances. For example, Daring Climber allows you to reroll any critical failure with Climbing, even if you're not engaged in particularly risky behavior. You may specialize in any skill, from Daring Broadsword to Daring Fireball, but no Daredevil may have more than three Daring Skills. This perk essentially grants Daredevils the option of buying Stabilizing Skills - and allows them to accept greater skill penalties with a negligible risk of critical failure.

Let me know what y'all think!
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #85
JulianLW

I decided to finally take a look at Mass Combat, and it looks like it would be easy to come up with lots of perks (and advantages, too) applicable to this subsystem. Here's one:

Heroic

When using the rules from Mass Combat, your character gets a +1 to her Risk Modifier roll without having to add it to her Misfortunes of War roll. This allows her to take a Risk Modifier up to +4, rather than only +3. If your character is not a force commander, this same perk allows her to take the same +1 and apply it to a Significant Actions roll.

I'd be very interested to see any perks (or other traits) designed specifically for Mass Combat or for other subsystems, especially Realm Management or Boardroom and Curia (or even City Stats?). I'm not really very familiar with any of these systems, but I would like to see what kind of perks folks might come up with, especially since character traits are often a good way to start to understand how a system works ....
Old 07-17-2022, 03:33 PM   #86
johndallman
Night Watchman

Worryingly Significant

To buy this perk, you must have a skill that would be useful in battle at a minimum of 18. With that, and this perk, you get +2 on your Heroism roll under "Significant Actions" on p. 33 of Mass Combat, rather than +1. However, your Risk Modifier must be at least +2 for this to work.

Optionally, this can be a levelled perk, requiring skill 21 for the second level, and giving +3 on a Heroism roll if you take a Risk Modifier of +3.

Last edited by johndallman; 07-17-2022 at 03:37 PM.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #87
Astromancer

Pocket Change

This can only be taken along with Wealth: Comfortable or better. As a perk Pocket Change simply means you always have at least a little actual cash on your PC. This isn't cash you planned to carry, like the Gizmo advantage, it just so happens you have the cash.

This will need to be ajudicated by the GM. As a rule of thumb, PCs of Wealth: Comfortable won't have a spare ten thousand in their pockets (although someone with a few levels of Multimillionaire just might).

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:07 PM   #88
JulianLW

Cunning Commander

When using the rules from Mass Combat, your character may opt to use a "Cunning" value (as per "Battling Monsters") equal to the greater of her IQ or Per for any one of Intelligence Analysis, Leadership, or Strategy for the duration of the battle. The "Cunning" value may be reassigned for each battle; the character need not specialize. Note that Charisma adds to Cunning when used to replace Leadership.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:30 PM   #89
Fred Brackin

Handy Handset

This is a historical Perk fromt he pre-cell phone era mostly seen with TV Heroes.
No matter where you go phone calls that you've been waiting for will find the nearest phone to you and even strangers will not mind answering the phone for you.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #90
JulianLW

Charismatic Command *‡

When using the rules for NPC behavior from Boardroom and Curia or Realm Management, the PC may adjust Will rolls of any NPC with whom she has direct, personal contact (as with Charisma) by +/- 1 per level of Charismatic Command, up to a maximum of 3 levels. This bonus may stack with any bonus from the character's Charisma, if applicable. At the third level of Charismatic Command, the character may temporarily adjust the Loyalty Rating of an NPC up or down one level.

I'm not totally clear on how Realm Management plays; I'm guessing for most actions using the Realm Management rules, personal contact means using Public Speaking skills to influence an action? Comments would be appreciated. I'm imagining this perk functioning as aspected Charisma that only works for actions outlined in the books I mentioned....

I'd love to get feedback on any of these new perks I've recently posted. I'd also really like to see any perks others might come up with for Mass Combat, Boardroom and Curia, Realm Management, or any other subsystems I'm not thinking of right now.

Last edited by JulianLW; 07-18-2022 at 12:55 PM.

Tags
perks