Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #51
Plane

Default Re: New perks

Popular Employee
once per hour (max twice per day) if crit failing your Job Roll or other blunders (aside from gross misbehavior like assault or gross immortality) would normally result in losing your job, this is no longer automatic.

STEP ONE
When this situation arises, you have two options:
OPTION A: ROLL SKILL

1) roll a Quick Contest of an appropriate influence skill (at +1) vs your employer. If this succeeds normally, make an IQ+1 roll. If it fails, you lose your job.
If MoV was 10+ add +1 to IQ roll. If MOF was 10+ see BAD END
2) roll a Quick Contest of an ESPECIALLY appropriate influence skill (at +1) vs your employer. If this succeeds, make an IQ+2 roll. If it fails, you lose your job.
If MoV was 5+ add +1 to IQ roll. If MOF was 15+ see BAD END
3) roll a Quick Contest of an INappropriate influence skill (at +1) vs your employer. If it succeeds, make and IQ roll. If it fails, you lose your job.
If MOV was 15+ add +1 to IQ roll. If MOF was 5+ see BAD END
OPTION B: ROLL REACT
instruct GM to have your employer make a Reaction Roll (standard modifiers) at +1 to you:
*3 or less: see BAD END
*4-9 : you just lose your job, nothing special
*10-15: roll IQ+1
*16-18: roll IQ+2
*19+: roll IQ+3
BAD END: you overplay your hand, you not only get fired, you gain quirk-level disadvantage like reputation (whiner/manipulator) or debt (lost your severance pay)

STEP TWO
If you were allowed to make an IQ roll in previous step, have your employer roll against IQ to resist it in a Quick Contest. If you win, you keep your job, and if you fail, you lose it. On a MOF of 10+ see BAD END above. On a MOV of 10+ get a one-time windfall of 10% your monthly pay as a bonus (employer feels guilty for harassing you)

This is based on Tenure [5] from B93 with the following modifiers:
Reliable +1 (+5%)
Requires Reaction Roll (-5%)
Requires IQ vs IQ roll (-20%)
Requires Recharge: 1 hour (-30%)
Limited Use: 2x per day (-30%)
Took some license in interpreting how Fickle (PU8p13) results work in Option A since it doesn't explain what appropriateness of influence skill does.

Since you presumably lose Tenure if you lose your job a lot of standard considerations (paying FP on subsequent IQ checks, cumulative -1 per attempt to invoke a fickle ability) aren't going to apply, if viewing "getting fired" as a one-time danger.

If getting fired is a PROCESS on the other hand, it might give multiple opportunities to roll against this perk. If it's a process then one-time success would not guarantee being fired, just avoiding 1 minute's worth of avoiding negative repercussions (requires IQ roll activates ability 1 minute)

One might view getting fired as a multifaceted process of demoting you from current income to zero income, so a single failure in a multi-hour (multi-day) "employment review" process just means your income level is reduced by 1 level (you got demoted) and the "firing process" is basically a series of rolls each of which can demote you by 1 level, so you need to fail ALL of them to be COMPLETELY fired.

Those levels are assumed to be auto-fails w/o Tenure and auto-successes w/ Wild Tenure, rolls only matter for Limited Tenure.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:24 PM   #52
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Popular Employee
I like the idea but it seems overly complicated. I feel like No Nuisance Rolls: My Job emulates it well enough (assuming your skill is high enough for that).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #53
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
assuming your skill is high enough for that
It is until it isn't: sirens kept you up and you are -2 to IQ for missed sleep, below threshold and suddenly crit-fail your daily Long Tasks roll and waste supplies.

Monthly rolls is probably an oversimplification for long campaigns.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:39 AM   #54
kirbwarrior

I just remembered that Focused Fury lets you combine the All Out (Strong) with the Extra Effort version that does the same for a really strong attack at the cost of defenses and FP. While the options for boosted skill or number of attacks is too strong for a perk, I could totally see it working for Long to attack at +2 reach by vastly overextending. It's definitely cinematic, but I can see certain genres supporting it. Maybe call it Supreme Lunge.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #55
Phil Masters

Can I suggest simply Boss Charmer: add your reaction modifiers when making your monthly job roll. (Obviously you should only take this if you have net positive reaction modifiers.) Conditional modifiers apply if they apply to your current boss (GM decides).
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #56
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Focused Fury lets you combine the All Out (Strong) with the Extra Effort version
Mighty Blows.

Definitely cheaper than buying even One Attack -60% All-Out -25% Striking ST (that's 1/level but you need 2 to get +1 damage so 4 to match +2dmg) or even Crushing Attack 0.25 (ST-Based +40% Melee -35% Costs Fatigue -10%) (1 per level so 2 to match +2dmg)
Old 10-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #57
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Can I suggest simply Boss Charmer: add your reaction modifiers when making your monthly job roll. (Obviously you should only take this if you have net positive reaction modifiers.) Conditional modifiers apply if they apply to your current boss (GM decides).
Sounds like a great trick for someone who might have awesome skills that don't apply to jobs, letting you get away with sub 12 prerequisites.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:30 AM   #58
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
The "sleeping with the boss" clause. I like it.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:55 AM   #59
Plane

Minute MR
Prerequisite: non-mage

Pick 5 colleges except Healing. Spells from those colleges work against you normally.

All OTHER colleges will work normally at FIRST, but if the caster's margin of success was merely 1, it MAY wear off a minute later.

If you attempted to resist the spell and failed, also keep track of the margin of victory.

after 1 minute goes by, if the spell is still in effect, make a HT roll.

If the HT roll succeeds, a spell which succeeded by 0 will end.

If you resisted and caster's MOV merely 1 or 2, it will also end.

If you drink any magical elixirs you succumb normally but need to roll against HT+1 a minute later and if you pass it wears off.

Under the Hood:
This is one level T63's "Minute Magic Resistance" with the maximum -30% discount for not applying to 5 colleges
with "requires HT roll -10%" and
B113's "Onset: 1 minute -10%" applied
to bring the total value to -50%, making this MR a perk.

Last edited by Plane; 10-26-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #60
kirbwarrior

Hidden Blow Dart

This is just a 0d+1 pi- innate attack with No Signature +25%. You have a hidden and not powerful built in attack that you can get through security. It also doesn't have to be a blow dart but it's a common choice (just pick a different skill for use. For instance, it could be a low powered gun)

However, if you think you need to round the 0.75 pt up, add Can't Aim -20% and decrease No Signature to +20%. Still, I'd rule that this attack can't do appreciable damage without hitting the eyes or vitals so I think it's fair (otherwise it's not functionally different from pi damage).

Tags
perks