Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [Magic] How much food can the Blossom spell produce?

Blossom (Magic, p. 162) is worded in a way that makes it sound like it can produce a full year's harvest in an hour if cast on an orchard. Is that really right? If so, what population densities could it support when combined with otherwise ancient/medieval tech? I got thinking about this for purposes of trying to explain how you justify huge populations of dwarves or whatever living deep underground with limited ability to get food from the surface. But it could also apply to explaining how huge elven cities could exist in the middle of a forest. Thoughts?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: [Magic] How much food can the Blossom spell produce?

What's the mana level of the setting? What's the proportion of mages to muggles in the setting? Is magic common, rare, hidden, illegal, or what?

With the right adjustments to these parameters, almost any type of changes or none can be inferred.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
What's the mana level of the setting? What's the proportion of mages to muggles in the setting? Is magic common, rare, hidden, illegal, or what?

With the right adjustments to these parameters, almost any type of changes or none can be inferred.
I'm assuming normal magic with magic out in the open and legal—probably a decent number of mages, but even a single community around one mage could be interesting. Like a single caster leading a ceremonial casting with a hundred untrained assistants can cover maybe five acres with one casting if my math is right. The biggest limit on productivity might be how many apples a person can pick in a day, at least once you get to something like 1 mage per 5000 people capable of assisting rituals.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
edk926

Plant Spells has the Harvest spell, which would do the dirty work for you. It's just a matter of having the energy requirements for both.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
Gef

Unless you rule that magically stimulated plants don't deplete the soil, then your limiting factor is Essential Earth. If I recall it costs 8 per hex, and it is NOT an Area spell. I'm not botanist enough to know how many growing-season-equivalents you get before having to recast Essential Earth.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
Plant Spells has the Harvest spell, which would do the dirty work for you. It's just a matter of having the energy requirements for both.
Good catch. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Unless you rule that magically stimulated plants don't deplete the soil, then your limiting factor is Essential Earth. If I recall it costs 8 per hex, and it is NOT an Area spell. I'm not botanist enough to know how many growing-season-equivalents you get before having to recast Essential Earth.
It's true that an annoying thing about Blossom is ambiguity about the effect on soil—as well as the air and water. Though Purify Earth is worded such that it sounds like it fixes the problem in a more energy-efficient way?
Old 03-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #7
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Though Purify Earth is worded such that it sounds like it fixes the problem in a more energy-efficient way?
Yes, of course - sorry, didn't have my books when I posted. -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #8
Taneli

Apparently an apple tree produces something like 100 to 200 kg of fruit per year (" a harvest"), and contains about 500 kcal per 1kg of apple. Now, assuming 2500 kcal per person per day, that’s about 5 kg of apples per day, so one harvest is good for one person for between 20 and 40 days, or about one month. This of course assumes no spoilage or anything like that.

So, is one casting of Blossom and Harvest worth it for one person’s monthly food supply?

And how sick of apples would you be after just one month? :P
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
And how sick of apples would you be after just one month? :P
And quite malnourished.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
Anders

You turn the apple into cider. Much healthier.

Tags
food, magic