Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-19-2009, 01:53 AM   #181
Mailanka

Default Re: Is WoD the new D&D for bashing purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Not just that. In Old Vampire at least there was a rule that you could never roll more dice for any Virtue than you had dots in Humanity. So if a vampire got his or her Humanity down to two or one he or she tended to run in panic from candles and cigarette-lighters, flee or frenzy at any threat, and feed rapaciously every time he or she smelled or saw blood when he or she was not not replete. Running out of Humanity was critically disabling—for vampires.
That isn't the case in Requiem, as far as I can tell, which is really a shame IMO. They keep talking about how your Humanity "keeps the beast at bay," yet I don't see any mechanics for how high humanity makes frenzy less likely. Really seems like something should be there.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 AM   #182
GrimGent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
In Old Vampire at least there was a rule that you could never roll more dice for any Virtue than you had dots in Humanity.
In the new Vampire, Humanity just sets a cap on your dice pools for social actions when you try to deal with, well, humanity, since ordinary people become increasingly disturbed by your behaviour and presence as the rating plummets down.

Incidentally, in case this hasn't come up yet, the nWoD Virtues are quite different from the traits in VtM. Every character, whether mortal or supernatural, has both a Virtue and a Vice (each from a selection of seven options), which correspond roughly to how Nature used to function in the old games. Indulging in your Vice, often at the cost of victimizing others and thus potentially putting your Morality at risk, brings instant gratification as you immediately regain one point of lost Willpower. Following the better angels of your nature instead and acting according to your Virtue in situations where remaining virtuous isn't exactly the easiest way out brings greater rewards later, though, as you regain all lost Willpower, but only at the end of the session.
GrimGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #183
Chef Zomagic

Eeeh... nevermind. I don't think there's a good way to say what I was saying without ******* someone off, even though I didn't mean it that way.

Last edited by Chef Zomagic; 12-22-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: nevermind
Chef Zomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #184
Daniilka

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I found predicting expected results trivial. You are rolling 7 dice against a difficulty rating of 8; you succeed on an 8, 9, or 10 (30% of the time), but a 1 is a botch that takes away one success (10% of the time), so your net number of expected successes is 20% x 7 = 1.4. I found that sufficient for planning scenarios. The big quirky thing was whether you rolled excess botches, but the chance of that was always small.
botch (1-7) - 11 %
fail (success = botch) - 16.9 %
1 success - 24.11 %
2 success - 23.37 %
3 success - 15.36 %
4 success - 6.74 %
5 success - 1.89 %
6 success - 0.31 %
7 success - 0.02 %
Daniilka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #185
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniilka View Post
botch (1-7) - 11 %
fail (success = botch) - 16.9 %
1 success - 24.11 %
2 success - 23.37 %
3 success - 15.36 %
4 success - 6.74 %
5 success - 1.89 %
6 success - 0.31 %
7 success - 0.02 %
Honestly I think every game system should have its odds published in this way. It would make munchkinry a bit more transparent.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #186
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Honestly I think every game system should have its odds published in this way. It would make munchkinry a bit more transparent.
Well, the oWoD odds are built as a three-dimensional matrix, 10×10×10. Or more like 9×10×15 if one is picky.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #187
Daniilka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
If you need it, here is a tables of odds calculated for oWOD.
Daniilka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d&d, d&d bashing, wod, wod bashing, world of darkness