Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 AM   #81
Icelander

Default Re: Talents & Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Does your setting have other similar Talents, for other character concepts? Or is Experienced a unique thing?
I generally allow any Talent that can be described as competence in a field smaller than the broad categories of DX or IQ.

The rogue-type character has been raising Smooth Operator and Business Acumen, for example. As I recall, I allowed Psychology (Human) to fall under Smooth Operator, as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #82
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
OK, in response to the OP. There's a limit to how much you can improve your DX, Talents gets you past this. This is more of a Ritual Magic thing, but the Rule of 20 says that your default, before defaulting penalties is 20 if the base stat is higher then 20, again Talents gets around this. Talents can probably also be used against penalties
My first reaction to this is "of course they can be used against penalties, just like other means of raising skill." Then I realized that my second clause was an assumption of what I thought you meant. Since I don't have Mindreading (Over forums), I thought I'd ask.

What do you mean by Talents being used against penalties?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #83
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
100 to 200 for typical career adventurers as written in Basic.
I've read that 150 is equivalent to the very common 100 of 3rd edition.
In the bit about power level several power levels are mentioned. Nowhere in the text is it claimed that one point range is the standard.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #84
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
In the bit about power level several power levels are mentioned. Nowhere in the text is it claimed that one point range is the standard.
That's being a bit willfully ignorant, don't you think? The majority of players play pseudo-medieval mid fantasy similar to D&D.
Whether T.P.T.B. want to admit it or not, Gurps makes many assumptions that aren't clearly spelled out.
But that's drifting far afield of the thread topic.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #85
Žorkell

Quote:
That's being a bit willfully ignorant, don't you think? The majority of players play pseudo-medieval mid fantasy similar to D&D.
Whether T.P.T.B. want to admit it or not, Gurps makes many assumptions that aren't clearly spelled out.
But that's drifting far afield of the thread topic.
Annoyingly literal, perhaps.

Ah.. But Peter claimed RAW, and the W in that means written. I have nowhere seen it spelled out in a GURPS book that 150 points is the standard.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #86
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Annoyingly literal, perhaps.

Ah.. But Peter claimed RAW, and the W in that means written. I have nowhere seen it spelled out in a GURPS book that 150 points is the standard.
You don't think, "being typical for career adventurers" is almost synonymous with standard for posting here?
It's not like I agree with Peter much of the time, though.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #87
Žorkell

Quote:
You don't think, "being typical for career adventurers" is almost synonymous with standard for posting here?
It's not like I agree with Peter much of the time, though.
Like I said, annoyingly literal.

Also that sentence suggests a range of 100-200 points as typical. What makes 150 points more typical than any other point total in that range?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #88
Anthony

Quote:
Like I said, annoyingly literal.

Also that sentence suggests a range of 100-200 points as typical. What makes 150 points more typical than any other point total in that range?
It's been a rule of thumb that 150 is the new 100 (e.g. http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...00&postcount=8), but that's quite far from an actual official statement that 150 is average.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #89
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's been a rule of thumb that 150 is the new 100 (e.g. http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...00&postcount=8), but that's quite far from an actual official statement that 150 is average.
It mutated over time. 3e defaulted to 100 points (150 4e points.) The 4e rules were vaguer but a lot of the early supplements implied a 150 point default - most of the templates were under 150 and sample characters for GURPS Fantasy were built on a 150 point budget. When Dungeon Fantasy came out, the default power level was 250 for reasons detailed elsewhere by Kromm and later supplements (Action, Monster Hunters) went with higher power. So I'd say nowadays 200-400 is assumed to be the common starting point - larger than life but not superhuman - with 150 as a low powered option (DF Henchmen etc.)
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #90
Xplo

ISTR that back when 4e was new and SJG was talking it up and doing Q&A about the new rules, it was observed that the equivalent to a 3e 100 point character was ~150 points. People may be thinking of that.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, skills, talents