Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
Langy

Default Re: Spaceships: Chance of a space combat aid. But is there a need? 2D or 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
Her point is that there isn't a screenshot to be had. No GUI, so no screen to shoot.

If you're interested in the client/server setup, I'd be happy to lend a hand. It's something I do as part of the day job.
I'm pretty sure that Vicky is a male name in Russian-speaking countries, and that Molokh is a man. Understandable that it's a bit confusing; Vicky is short for Victoria over here, and is a female name.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Spaceships: Chance of a space combat aid. But is there a need? 2D or 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
Not much to comment, just posting to show my interest in this project. Any chance of some screenshots of the WIP?

I play much of my gaming online, have you considered a simple client/server interface so remote clients could control some of the elements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I'm generally Unfazeable, so I'd check it out / play with it as it is now. Only if that would help out (I have done a lot of QA as well as software development), not if it would put you out or be an unhelpful inconvenience to start getting feedback or thoughts at this stage.
Just to clarify, I considered the screenshot to be extremely inadequate due to much of the stuff it does not being (yet) represented in any meaningfully 'screenshottable' manner.

Nonetheless, I uploaded some files into a Google group called
GURPS Spaceship Battles Playtest (its address is all-lowercase and spelled with dashes instead of spaces, at googlegroups dot com). Anyone can join and view the shared files (I'm doing this to see how many people are watching the project).

I made a shot of the (experimental) formation builder (a 5-ship pyramid seen onscreen). It arranged ship models based on number, to ease showing fleets onscreen. I don't think the fact that some of the ships/vectors are situated above the 0-grid is visible. Also, the hexgrid scaling is totally off - I didn't bother setting up a proper texture until the thing is even remotely useful.

The braves can download a PC (Windows) or Mac (X) version of the software (if you can call it that). But be sure to check the readme - the current UI is extremely non-obvious, even if you're used to things like Homeworld.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #23
Dammann

Nice! I've joined the group. Look forward to following this project!
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Nice! I've joined the group. Look forward to following this project!
Did you try out the first build? Does it even run outside my computer? ;)

Edit: why is WeakReference so obscure that Google doesn't mention it when I search for ways of referencing a variable? Arg.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 11-03-2011 at 05:44 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #25
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Just in case the first message is not displayed in the group: this is the address of the folder with the pre-alpha files, a short readme, and a screenshot of the features currently under work.

I don't have as much free time and inspiration as I'd like, but I think ship option editing is the next thing I'm gonna work on (now that I figured out that System.Reflection's GetField/SetValue).
Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
Dammann

I can't get it to open. Explorer keeps trying to open it.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #27
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I can't get it to open. Explorer keeps trying to open it.
Explorer? It's an archive. Try downloading it and then extracting.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #28
Dammann

OK, now I am getting it to work. Let me play with this for a bit...
Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #29
Dammann

This works pretty well! I am able to move vectors and ships around, no problem. I'll need to dl to my other computer to get a middle mouse button.

So, PC version appears to work so far!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
This works pretty well! I am able to move vectors and ships around, no problem. I'll need to dl to my other computer to get a middle mouse button.

So, PC version appears to work so far!
Just a note: currently the moment you press down MouseMid the ship rotation resets to look level, and the LookAt point is placed onto the same plane the ship is on. This is a known limitation/bug, and it will solve itself when I implement the ship facing AND LookAt point indicator as a single rendered line (currently the ship facing line is not handled by the ship class at all - just childed to the ship's transform).

Tags
game aid, gurps spaceship battles, spaceships