Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Desert Scribe

Default The Monopolis campaign

This year, I'm trying to run a monthly series of related scenarios in an attempt at a quasi-narrative Ogre campaign. These games use my large hex mat, Monopolis terrain, and Ogre (and other) miniatures.

I'm posting about it on my blog; I enjoy taking photos of my games and sharing the battle reports. I hope it proves inspirational for those looking to start using miniatures in their games. Here are batreps from the first two scenarios:

Chapter 1: The Forlorn Hope

Chapter 2: Supply Run

I find that committing to a monthly game in writing has helped me keep this project going; my third installment takes place this week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Blue Ghost

Default Re: The Monopolis campaign

Just out of curiosity, are there actual campaign rules for building tanks, GEVs, Ogres and training infantry?
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
Desert Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Just out of curiosity, are there actual campaign rules for building tanks, GEVs, Ogres and training infantry?
No. Although an interesting concept, that's outside the time scale of the Monopolis campaign.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
There's likely something available in GURPS: Ogre for most of that.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
cedric18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
There's likely something available in GURPS: Ogre for most of that.
Nothing that I can recall. AtomicKennedy posted some tentative campaign rules quite a while back, but if I recall correctly they were not complete as it was a work in progress. There have been quite a few variations here and there on the interwebs over the years, but nothing that really stood out in my opinion.
cedric18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric18 View Post
Nothing that I can recall. AtomicKennedy posted some tentative campaign rules quite a while back, but if I recall correctly they were not complete as it was a work in progress. There have been quite a few variations here and there on the interwebs over the years, but nothing that really stood out in my opinion.
Looking through GO, campaign rules certainly seems like that's the whole point of the book (it is for role-playing, after all).

I think context scope is needed to fully understand the original question, because it sure looks like Chapter 5: Vehicles and Chapter 6: Ogres cover the "building tanks, GEVs and Ogres" part. About the only thing I don't see that's obvious is Training Infantry.

Like I said, some more details about exactly what is meant by the question might clarify things. What kind of rules are you looking for? What scope? How detailed? What do you expect for "Training INF?" What does training influence/change?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Desert Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Looking through GO, campaign rules certainly seems like that's the whole point of the book (it is for role-playing, after all).

I think context scope is needed to fully understand the original question, because it sure looks like Chapter 5: Vehicles and Chapter 6: Ogres cover the "building tanks, GEVs and Ogres" part. About the only thing I don't see that's obvious is Training Infantry.

Like I said, some more details about exactly what is meant by the question might clarify things. What kind of rules are you looking for? What scope? How detailed? What do you expect for "Training INF?" What does training influence/change?
I took his question to mean rules for replacing or adding to your forces. GURPS Ogre has rules for building Ogre vehicles using the GURPS system.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
I took his question to mean rules for replacing or adding to your forces. GURPS Ogre has rules for building Ogre vehicles using the GURPS system.
That's part of the problem, what's the scope? Does it mean managing a supply chain from your factory, converting a captured factory, building from spare parts, etc? It would be fairly easy to translate the rules for CEs and Vulcans repairing units into "building" armor, but the BPC has to come from somewhere.

I'm still confused about what training INF would get you. Is that just making new INF, or is it intended to give you specialized INF? I could see maybe saying standard INF can be "trained" to be Marines, or something like that (assuming you have access to the materials necessary to modify the battle suits), but I would probably frown on "INF with a +1 die roll" or some other weird modifier.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. GURPS Ogre, most of which I've read (last year), is for RPing, and not really oriented towards the board game. The Ogre Book also has lots of ideas and various designers' notes, but not rules for manufacturing forces and taking territory.

After all this time I thought there might be, and I did come across a website with some rules, but I thought there might be some official thing somewhere by SJGames specifically.

It's not a big deal. I was just curious. And no, I'm not up to drafting a rules set if there isn't one, and submitting it to SJGames. It's out of my ability, though I am interested in whatever comes down the pipe.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #10
Mack_JB

Not quite the same thing, but I've often thought you could do a new world map, suitably broken down into the appropriate regions for Ogre era States -- then adapt and tweak the rules for "Axis & Allies" for doing the big picture of economics and conquest, while still using the traditional Ogre and GEV set-ups for the actual battles.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote