Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
Dalillama

Default Re: Dwarven Governance & Economics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
The Natural Resources of Dwarves

Oil/NatGas

Dwarves dig. We all agree on this much. If your world has Petroleum and Natural Gas, this might make for an interesting addition to the economy allowing for the evolution fo Dwarven Alchemists(Chemists). Wow. now that I think of it, wouldnt it be great if the Mithril shirt from the Hobbit wasnt made of metal dug up from the earth but from Kevlar spun from a Dwarven oil find. Note that finding stores fo these energy dense materials would also serve as a great fuel for forges and gets away from the 'Well where do the dwarves get the wood for fires?' question.
Kevlar is no good for defending against spears or swords. I gave the dwarves in my world the Bessemer process, giving them access to lots of steel for a lot less coal/coke. (although they were unabashedly TL 5, verging on 6 in some areas; that was their 'hat' since they had no magic.)
If t hey tap into natural gas reservoirs, they can have gaslights, too, assuming they don't use magic.
Quote:
Geothermal

If you go with Geothermal heat as an energy source for your dwarves, then i recommend using the central shaft as the heat radiator. This way as the dwarves dig down, they alo get warmer, drier and more cozy. A fitting re-enforcement of their already borderline agoraphobic ways.
This can also help to solve the pumping problem; run the water near enough, and it turns to steam and rises all by itself. Put condensers at the top, run it through a waterwheel, then down through the factories and dwellings to be used (gravity flow running water is something dwarves should definitely have), then down again to be boiled. This requires periodic cleaning of the boiling chambers, since all the crud that's boiled out of the water will collect there, which is probably a very low status job (similar to the untouchables of India, perhaps.) Water from bathrooms should go through the fungus and other farms first, to reclaim the nutrients.
Quote:
Non-Miniing Agriculture

The non-mining agriculture of dwarves falls into the 'Everyone else' category of labor and since it deals with contact with the world outside the mountain, it is probably not a 'First Choice' Career path for anyone but the most solitary and/or adventurous of thier ilk.

Also, rock providing, it seems that the concept of the flower pot, when affixed to a dwarven ceiling at fairly shallow depth might be an ideal place to grow and harvest root foods like carrots, potatoes, radishes, and othersuch things.
From the other thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
underground greenhouses with semitransparent windows in the rock that aren't obvious from a distance.
Crystal/glass/mirror faced lightwells are also a possibility. These can be combined with the ventilation system as well. I personally am very fond of the idea that dwarves cultivate huge chambers full of fungi, along with termites and molluscs that feed on it and in turn feed the dwarves. They could also supplement their diet with lichens and vegetables grown near the entrances and lightwells. The canals and underground rivers can also host fish and shellfish. I also had a vision of fermentation pits where yeasts are cultivated for both beer/alcohol and a protein-rich marmite-type paste that dwarves spread on everything.
Quote:
Livestock
Termites seem like another great one, primarily as a food source. I can see a breed of half-blind cave chickens, that eat the insects that live among the fungi.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I can see a breed of half-blind cave chickens, that eat the insects that live among the fungi.
Ah yes. Gallus gallus domesticus var abnoctii aka the Dwarven Cave Chicken.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
isf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Non-Miniing Agriculture

The non-mining agriculture of dwarves falls into the 'Everyone else' category of labor and since it deals with contact with the world outside the mountain, it is probably not a 'First Choice' Career path for anyone but the most solitary and/or adventurous of thier ilk.
While I like the idea of an everyone else category, the dwarves usually seem too dependent on outside trade to make all of the category undesirable. What are the high status/luxury imports?

I like the blind cave chickens and rats would both be suited for getting the most value out of scarps and waste food. I do think that they would exploit most accessible or creatable fish supplies.

Do the dwarves have any access to magic of any kind, whether their own or through trade? Magically lit underground gardens for herbs, vegetables, grain and alchemically useful plants would be suitable for luxury goods.

Magically produced foods or thaumavore crops and livestock would be another possibility. Rock to Food would solve a lot of problems with both food source and getting rid of waste rock; I'd probably have it be bland by default.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
whswhs

One of my fantasy settings, a long time ago, had dwarves divided into seven houses, lineages, or castes, based on the seven forms of the element of earth: Sand (glassmakers), Soil (landscape architects and farmers), Clay (bricklayers and potters), Stone (masons), Metal (smiths and foundrymen), Gem (lapidarists), and Dwarf (rulers).

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
I like the blind cave chickens and rats would both be suited for getting the most value out of scarps and waste food. I do think that they would exploit most accessible or creatable fish supplies.

Do the dwarves have any access to magic of any kind, whether their own or through trade? Magically lit underground gardens for herbs, vegetables, grain and alchemically useful plants would be suitable for luxury goods.
A lot of caves contain water and could support fish.

Bill Stoddard
Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #26
Spudzill

I love the idea of Dwarves fishing for blind,albino fish.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #27
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudzill View Post
I love the idea of Dwarves fishing for blind,albino fish.
Hey, it worked for Gollum, when he couldn't get orc.

Bill Stoddard
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #28
Spudzill

I love the idea of a Dwarf getting squicked out when eating fish topside :Are they supposed to be that color?"
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
Magically produced foods or thaumavore crops and livestock would be another possibility. Rock to Food would solve a lot of problems with both food source and getting rid of waste rock; I'd probably have it be bland by default.
In goes coal and sand, making rock hard tofu. I like it. Possibly the skin of a fungal-like creature.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
Spudzill

I suspect human beer is way too weak for them. And if someone starts a distillery Dwarven Spirits may be too potent for humans to consume.

Tags
dwarves, world building