Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #31
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Another Approach to Spell/Talent Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post

For comparison: the cost for increased attributes in the current draft:
Added attribute point - .... XP cost
33rd or lower – ................. 100 XP - .... deliberately cheap to encourage the new character!
34th – ............................. 200
35th – ............................. 400
36th – ............................. 800
37th – .......................... 1,200
38th – .......................... 1,600
39th – .......................... 2,000
40th – .......................... 3,000
41st and later – ............ Magic is needed.
Hi Steve, everyone.
Just a quick thought,

Anyone like the idea of extending this series of attributes which you can buy by 2 steps, but we make those steps VERY expensive. For example:

40th - .............................. 4,000 XP. // Note, changed from above.
41st - .............................. 8,000 XP.
42nd - ........................... 12,000 XP.
43rd and later - ............... Magic is needed.

This way if someone REALLY wanted a bit higher attributes, they could try, but they would be giving up many talents and it would take a long, long time.

It used to be possible to buy 15 attributes with attribute adders, but now they max out at 5 levels. (And presumably are more expensive.) So in that respect, we have a 'bit more room'.

I do not feel strongly one way or another, but am raising this for people's comments / consideration.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #32
Skarg

I think it's one of those "game settings" options. I generally agree and kind of expect that many games would in theory allow slight increases above 40 which are theoretically possible but almost never occurring due to ever-increasing EP. In practice, I wonder how many people will even get there, how many years it will take, and how long it will take for anyone to go from 40 to 41, especially if there are other interesting things to do with EP than increase attributes. I think the answer will vary a lot by group, and there will be some groups who rarely get to 37 points, and others who dish out EP or change the curve just so they can play more powerful characters. It's especially hard to say at this point when so many interdependent things seem unfinalized.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #33
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
It's especially hard to say at this point when so many interdependent things seem unfinalized.
Poor Steve has been drinking from the fire hose this whole time...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #34
David Bofinger

Quote:
Added attribute point - XP cost
33rd or lower – 100 XP
I would like to see this table extended below 32 points, so that campaigns can if necessary start with very inexperienced 30-point farm boys who don't know what they're in for, or even less capable.

I also think most campaigns are going to house rule in progress above 40 points. It would probably be smart to say, "If you want to do that here are the costs we recommend," or something like that.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #35
tomc

Default Re: Is the elder game schizophrenic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
  • Fist damage is 1d - 4, no scaling with ST
  • -2 DX adjustment and blocking 3 hits does not work against ranged weapons
I thought that SJ was assuming a ST 8 character in his example, thus the 1d-4 damage. Has he said definitely that punches are 1d-4 no matter what your ST?

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #36
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I would like to see this table extended below 32 points, so that campaigns can if necessary start with very inexperienced 30-point farm boys who don't know what they're in for, or even less capable.

I also think most campaigns are going to house rule in progress above 40 points. It would probably be smart to say, "If you want to do that here are the costs we recommend," or something like that.
I've always liked those "zero-level funnel" type adventures! ;-)

And I think your second item is a good idea too. Perhaps something along the lines of; "If the GM and Players agree that they want to increase the attribute cap beyond 40, we recommend doubling the cost per Attribute Point above 40 (i.e., 6000 XP to reach 41, 12,000 XP to reach 42, etc.)."
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #37
Skarg

Default Re: Is the elder game schizophrenic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Yes, however I tend to think 100 XP is a good number for those, which is what it says.

Another question is what about non-humans? I would tend to shift the table, so if your race starts typical "above average" PCs at only 30 points, then subtract 2 from all the attribute values on the table. For reptile men & gargoyles, shift the same way but in the other direction, but then double the XP costs. For giants it probably needs a special rule since their ST varies by tens of points and their DX & IQ are constrained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I thought that SJ was assuming a ST 8 character in his example, thus the 1d-4 damage. Has he said definitely that punches are 1d-4 no matter what your ST?
Not yet, that I've seen.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #38
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Wonder if anybody wants to submit a short article for the TFT site about the low-level adventure?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #39
Jackal

Quote:
Wonder if anybody wants to submit a short article for the TFT site about the low-level adventure?
How low level? 32-points low? Or DCC funnel low?
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #40
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Lower than 32. You could still have a fun adventure with low-low characers, if people got into it.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote