Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
clu2415

Default Shield and spear thrower?

If you have a small or medium shield strapped to your arm, could you use that hand to help ready a spear thrower or light sling?

Also, just confirming that if you have 18+ ST, you can use a spear at reach 1,2 in one hand.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Shield and spear thrower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
If you have a small or medium shield strapped to your arm, could you use that hand to help ready a spear thrower or light sling?
I don't know enough to answer this question. The rules, I think, imply that you can't because loading a weapon is more than simply "carrying" something, but I have no idea what's actually involved in loading a spear thrower. Perhaps you could allow it with a skill or timing penalty (one extra turn).

Quote:
Also, just confirming that if you have 18+ ST, you can use a spear at reach 1,2 in one hand.
That's my reading of the rules, definitely.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
peruses

Beleivable enough for Dungeon fantasy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gXiUDJRgiUc
peruses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I've never used an atlatl, but having watched a few videos of people using an atlatl it looks like you certainly could load a spear into an atlatl while having a shield strapped to your arm. You couldn't block with the shield while reloading, but I'd allow someone to hide behind their shield while using the hand to hold a spear and reloading the atlatl. Blocking with the shield or getting hit on the shield by a melee attack would likely cause the spear to come out of the atlatl while you're loading it, effectively unreadying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
That's what the single dagger next to the ST requirement for a spear means, yes. If you have 1.5x the required ST you can use it one handed but it becomes unready; if you have 2x the ST you can use it one handed normally.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:53 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

samuelddarden reported as a spammer.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
Black Leviathan

I'd say even if it's justifiable in RaW realistically you can't. Any shield mounting I've seen requires you to hand-hold the shield in some way (Bucklers being an exception) You could hold another object in the hand you're using a shield with but you couldn't manipulate it in any realistic way. You couldn't hold a shield and reload a weapon (Barring a one-handed reload perk).
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlatl, shield, spear and shield