Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Finalsora811

Default Knocking Unconscious easily

Is there a skill, technique, or something else that would allow me to knock people unconscious easily (e.g. like hitting someone in the back of the neck like they do in the movies)?
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Knocking Unconscious easily

Brawling includes the use of the Sap or Blackjack.
This is lightweight weapon that does a little more then normal unarmed Brawling damage (typically +1) and you could learn a targeted attack technique for the back of the head. Or if taking your foe by surprise (which is how its typically used) should be able to hit easily with a telegraphic attack and there not going to see it coming (if surprised) so wont defend.
Then its just a matter of enough damage to knock them out without doing enough for serious injury. Always an iffy move, unlike the movies.
A more cinematic approach would be to use Pressure Secrets which in this case I would allow to use with Brawling (for a cinematic game)
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
Is there a skill, technique, or something else that would allow me to knock people unconscious easily (e.g. like hitting someone in the back of the neck like they do in the movies)?
Generally, no. Since there's really no way to do that.

I feel like I've seen a cinematic rule someplace to fill the void. Called kayo maybe?

EDIT: Of course, you can easily 'knock out' cannon fodder/mook NPCs without any additional rules.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 05-23-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I would say the relevant skill is pressure secrets.

as to whether its done by damage, or simply forces a HT roll is up to the GM
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Finalsora811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I feel like I've seen a cinematic rule someplace to fill the void. Called kayo maybe?
Kayo is perfect since I AM playing a cinematic game. The thing is, I wanna knock out PCs and steal from them. So I need to Kayo so they don't see me.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Kayo is perfect since I AM playing a cinematic game. The thing is, I wanna knock out PCs and steal from them. So I need to Kayo so they don't see me.
I cannot tell you where it can be found or how it works, nor even definitely assert its existence.

Hopefully someone else can...
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Pressure Points to the skull would blind them for 2d seconds if you hit and win the contest. Something could be built off that for unconsciousness.
It wouldn't be RAW as far as I know there is no skill or combat technique to do what your describing. At least not without actual damage.
Do you really want to go around hitting PCs in the head to injury them?
You will fail a roll at some point and then there going to know whats up, assuming they were not already suspicious. To pull this off you have to sneak up behind them and then knock them out without them ever spotting you or knowing you were there.
EDIT: I looked at Basic and Marital Arts. I do not have Mysteries but do have pretty much every other 4e book except for the Action line and it might be in one of those.

Last edited by Refplace; 05-23-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
vierasmarius

The most direct answer would be to give them an Affliction or Innate Attack (w/ Side Effect) that inflicts Unconsciousness (+200%). Melee Innate Attack + Side Effect would certainly be appropriate if the KO ability involves striking the victim, while a Melee Affliction would fit for something that requires a touch, but does not injure them. Another option is Imbuements; Stupefying Blow can put an opponent to sleep at -15 on the roll, while Crippling Blow can paralyze for the same skill penalty.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Finalsora811

Quote:
I cannot tell you where it can be found or how it works, nor even definitely assert its existence.

It's in DF2, pg. 12 I believe.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
the_matrix_walker

Quote:

Quote:
It's in DF2, pg. 12 I believe.
MH2 Page 14 in the box labeled "Sentries" actually.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, skills, techniques, unconscious