Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
Maz

Default Re: Recovering from unconsciousness? Magic effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
There's no point in the Awaken spell if you can just wake up by being healed by other means.
There are plenty of applications.

First off, Awaken works to counter magical and mundane sleep, and stun effects (as Bruno noted).

There are also plenty of times where healing won't be enough (In my case for instance, I rule that people have to be at _full_ HP, which isn't easy to achieve. Same for what Dustin suggest but just getting to positive is a bit easier).
But Healing spells also accumulate an increasing penalty to use the spell on the same person in a day, and you might want to get a person back up you can't heal due to penalties.

Sometimes you also want people to be awake and NOT heal them. If they might be enemies for instance but you want to talk to them.

And allowing healing to wake people faster is really nice in settings that have healing potions or healing drugs so character without magical Awaken spells, can still get someone back on their feet quickly.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
sunstone

Default Re: Recovering from unconsciousness? Magic effects

Thank you guys for all your input. Some good ideas and pointing out the Awake spell was a key point for me.

Our combat takes long because of 6 Players and lets say 6-8 Enemy NPCs each with their own HP tracking and calculating damage and bookkeeping of shock and wounds and how many arms everyone has left *grin*. But well we get along.
sunstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, recovery, rfu, unconscious