Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
BaronVonStevie

Default Re: my "GURPS: Star Trek" game

according to canon, Vulcans are really strong. The average Vulcan is three times as strong as a human.. according to canon. I'm not carrying it that far. Take a BL score. An average human has a 20. I would need to give Vulcan's an average score of 17-18. That's 70-80 pts right off the bat. I don't think that's playable at all. I'm very willing to break from canon there.

but yeah, humans are weaker than Vulcans. there's no way around it. There's that scene where Nero's first officer tells Kirk that he was suprised at how weak humans were. In TOS, kirk is often on the losing end of a strength contest. Picard was also routinely overpowered. That's kind of the way it goes in star trek. most of the alien races out there are kind of supermanish. It's just kind of part of the setting.

Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-09-2009 at 11:50 AM.
BaronVonStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonStevie View Post
but yeah, humans are weaker than Vulcans. there's no way around it. There's that scene where Nero's first officer tells Kirk that he was suprised at how weak humans were. ....
But that's not my point. +2 is barely noticeable except when considering who to ask to help you move.
I'm only mildly suprised at how weak most humans are. ;)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
BaronVonStevie

like I said, paying for an average ST score of 17-18 is unattractive to me. I'm not saying it's accurate. Star Trek games usually lowball Vulcans ST-wise. I understand why. Canon makes them too strong to be a playable race IMO.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #24
Davies

For Vulcan strength, I might build on some hints in Diane Duane's novels and give them a species Perk that lets them learn Power Blow without Trained by a Master. (She describes what they do as "controlled 'hysterical' strength.)

Chris Davies.
Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
For Vulcan strength, I might build on some hints in Diane Duane's novels and give them a species Perk that lets them learn Power Blow without Trained by a Master. (She describes what they do as "controlled 'hysterical' strength.)

Chris Davies.
I was quite prone to hysterical strength temper tantrums as a kid...
I'm looking more and more alien as time goes on. :)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #26
BaronVonStevie

you could cover that under unusual training if you wanted. the bottom line is that vulcans in canon have outrageous strength. whether they control it or not, wouldn't erase the actual score. I simply choose to ignore that because it makes Vulcans unplayable. Another 50 points (at least) tacked on to that template means I would have to change the game too much.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #27
Koley Porter

I was wondering what you are doing for Starships. My group likes things to go quick and dirty, so I wrote up a system based on the Star Wars d6 rules. Essentially, space combat is very similar to personal combat, with a few tweaks. It keeps the play fast and cinematic, the way my players like it.

Then I ran into a problem. There really are not very many Federation starship types in TOS that I can remember. There is the Constitution class and the... nothing that I know of. I thought about filling in with the Saladin, Hermes and Federation class ships from the Starfleet Technical Manual, but these are rather dorky looking and do not seem credible as ship designs (based on what we see in other series).

So I have a big gaping hole from which the verisimilitude of my game world is leaking. Have you thought about what to do for starships in your game? Thanks!
Koley Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #28
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Would this help?

It'd be nice if they'd sort it by date of inception, grumble grumble...
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #29
Phantasm

I remember the Constitution-class ship, one Klingon design, and the one Romulan design, from the TOS. There were a few more in the Animated Series as well which could be viable in this setting; again, though, I can't think of any designs off-hand. If we include the movies, the design of the Reliant is also viable for the Federation, and I seem to recall a long-range shuttle used by Spock in the first movie which some sources indicated was a purely Vulcan design (it lacked the "saucer" of the Earth/Federation ships).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #30
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I remember the Constitution-class ship, one Klingon design, and the one Romulan design, from the TOS. .....................
Thats because that all they coud afford to show with a 1960s TV budget.

HOWEVER.......

The 'robot' or Drone Ship from the animated episode "More Tribbles, More Tribbles" is now somewhat canon. The enhanced and restored episodses that have the CGI special effects used that design for both the live action "Charlie X" episode and "The Ultimate Computer". In the case of "Charlie X" the special effects artists added on a more obvious crew area shape to that ship.

The "one saucer & one Warp Engine" designs that were in the old Franz Joseph book are now also kind of 'canon' now after seeing the USS Kelvin in the J.J. Abrams movie.

IF we ever get a decent still picture or two of all those other Starfleet starships that were launching off for warp in the movie - then we'll have 4 to 5 new (to us) ship classes to talk about.
While in the theater I counted at least 4 different starship looks or types right before Captain Pike had the "Punch it!" dialogue scene.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html

Last edited by Qoltar; 06-19-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star trek