Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2022, 07:43 AM   #1
Captain Joy

Default One-Handed Staff Parry Questions

The 7† ST stat for a Quarterstaff (B273) means a Quarterstaff can be used one-handed with no readiness penalty if the wielder has a ST of 14 (B270).

Question #1: Would a Quarterstaff wielded in this way get the +2 Parry bonus? I.e. when you wield a Quarterstaff one-handed, are you still using the Staff skill to wield it, or does the Staff skill require a two-handed grip?

Question #2: Why does the Naginata (B273) not get a +2 Parry bonus when used with the Staff skill?

Last edited by Captain Joy; 03-03-2022 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Corrected ST stats per Curmudgeons correction two posts down.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: One-Handed Staff Parry Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
The 9† ST stat for a Quarterstaff (B273) means a Quarterstaff can be used one-handed with no readiness penalty if the wilder has a ST of 18 (B270).

Question #1: Would a Quarterstaff wielded in this way get the +2 Parry bonus? I.e. when you wield a Quarterstaff one-handed, are you still using the Staff skill to wield it, or does the Staff skill require a two-handed grip?
Staff requires two hands; to use it one-handed, you'd need to use Broadsword or Spear. Personally, I think I'd be fine with just letting you use Staff (but then, I think Staff and Spear should be merged), possibly at a penalty (albeit more Familiarity than Exotic Weapon Training for negating said penalty) but you need the two hands to get the +2 to Parry.

Quote:
Question #2: Why does the Naginata (B273) not get a +2 Parry bonus when used with the Staff skill?
Because GURPS hates polearms. From what I understand, realistically, polearms can be used every bit as defensively as staves. Personally, I'm inclined to let fairly balanced ones (like the naginata, and possibly some of the dueling polearms) get the +2, while other polearms would get a +1 instead.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Staff requires two hands; to use it one-handed, you'd need to use Broadsword or Spear.
This agrees with a conversation I had with Kromm long ago. If you were strong enough you could use a two-handed sword in one hand but Skill became Broadsword.

I believe there's text in MA to this effect.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:55 PM   #4
Plane

in the case where you have enough ST to wield a 2H weapon one-handed without penalty, I'd let you get bonuses for using 1H w/ 2H if you used a 2nd hand anyway
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:35 PM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
in the case where you have enough ST to wield a 2H weapon one-handed without penalty, I'd let you get bonuses for using 1H w/ 2H if you used a 2nd hand anyway
Most weapons that have both a 1h and 2h entry are at -1 to damage when used 1h, relative to when used 2h, and I'd be inclined to maintain this when using an exclusively-two-handed weapon with one hand (due to high ST). There are two additional options in Martial Arts that would make using the weapon in two hands preferable. First off, under "A Matter of Inches" (MA110), there's the option for weapons that you have twice the MinST for (necessary to wield one-handed without issues) to get a +2 bonus to make or resist a feint, and to also apply this to offset the iteration penalty for multiple Parries in one turn. A 2h weapon wielded in 1h should be treated (at least for these purposes - I don't think it's appropriate to treat such like this when it comes to determining maximum ST) as having MinST equal to the minimum to wield it 1h without issues, so unless you greatly exceed the weapon's MinST, using it in two hands works better here. The other option, only available for Reach 2+ weapons (but a quarterstaff certainly qualifies), is "Parrying with Two-Handed Weapons" (MA123), which gives slightly improved performance against dual-weapon attacks and also cuts the iteration penalty for multiple Parries in one turn in half. If combining the two options, treat the "halved penalty" as being just like Trained by a Master / Weapon Master - apply the weapon weight-induced reduction first, then halve the result, for -1 per additional Parry.

So, for a Quarterstaff, if you have ST 14, you can:
Wield two-handed with Staff, as normal, and get the +2 to Parry for being a Staff weapon and only suffer a -1 per additional Parry
or
Wield one-handed with an appropriate skill (Staff if the GM allows it, Broadsword or Spear otherwise), be at -1 to damage, Parry at +0, and suffer -4 per additional Parry. Note if using Spear, you probably will lose the option to swing, being restricted to thrust.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #6
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This agrees with a conversation I had with Kromm long ago. If you were strong enough you could use a two-handed sword in one hand but Skill became Broadsword.

I believe there's text in MA to this effect.
I could not find this in Martial Arts. Anyone else have any luck?
Old 03-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
I could not find this in Martial Arts. Anyone else have any luck?
Your Search-Fu is weak!
(No, but seriously, this took me for freaking ever to find)

MA220, in the "Unorthodox Attacks" box. Looks like it's actually canon that two handed weapons used in one hand are at -1 to damage, so that's neat.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:34 PM   #8
oneofmanynameless

There's a stick fighting technique of holding one stick in the off hand in the center of the stick, rather then at one end, in order to have both the full breadth of the stick as parrying surface while also balancing the weapon relative to what fighting with it in a sword grip is like. I've never seen rules for how to handle this but initially imagined it might be something similar to wielding a smaller staff-one handed. Is there a canon on that?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #9
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Your Search-Fu is weak!
(No, but seriously, this took me for freaking ever to find)

MA220, in the "Unorthodox Attacks" box. Looks like it's actually canon that two handed weapons used in one hand are at -1 to damage, so that's neat.
Your Search-Fu is impressive, Varyon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA220
As explained on p. B270, a strong enough fighter can wield a two-handed melee weapon – one with “†” or “‡” on its ST statistic – in one hand. When doing so, use the weapon’s two-handed statistics but apply a -1 to damage. The skill required to wield it may change:
So, when wielding a Quarterstaff one-handed, I would roll against my Broadsword skill to hit, but I’d still use the Staff skill stats for everything else, including the parry bonus, with the exception that I apply a -1 to damage.

At least, that’s my interpretation of the RAW. It still seems wrong to me that a quarterstaff wielded as a broadsword should get a +2 parry bonus.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 03-04-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:39 AM   #10
Curmudgeon

Quote:
The 9† ST stat for a Quarterstaff (B273) means a Quarterstaff can be used one-handed with no readiness penalty if the wilder has a ST of 18 (B270).
The ST 9† stat on B273 is for the Naginata, not the Quarterstaff. The corresponding stat for Quarterstaff is ST 7†, which would make your wielder's ST 14 as per B270.

Quote:
The thrusting damage line for a quarterstaff corresponds to the staff being used for a poke. A poke has the staff held in one hand while the other hand manipulates the staff forward and back, so as per B270, it always requires two hands when used in this mode regardless of ST.

Having seen videos of the quarterstaff being swung in arcs and spun, which would utilize the swing damage line, it is again clear that one hand remains steady as the fulcrum about which the staff is swung and the other hand does the rotating, which again means that as per B270, two hands are required regardless of ST.

I.E., in both instances the Quarterstaff is more like a bow or pump shotgun than not, the damage arises from the manipulation of the rest of the staff as an object moving about the held fulcrum/rest and that always requires the use of two hands regardless of the ST of the wielder.

Quote:
Perhaps the better question is, why can you use a Naginata with staff skill at all? Staff skill under Melee Weapon skill B208 states that Staff skill is for "any long, balanced pole without a striking head" and that the +2 to Parry comes from making good use of the staff's extensive parrying surface. The Naginata has a striking head. It is the Japanese version of a glaive and, as a glaive, properly should be classed as a polearm. While the Polearm skill does not mention the Naginata by name, it does specifically mention the glaive as one of the weapons covered by the skill. One can only assume that the way in which the Naginata is used makes greater use of the haft in parrying than would be the case with Western polearms and hence it is allowed the use of the Staff skill to reflect that, but having a striking head, it is ineligible for the +2 Parry that a true staff would get.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
one-handed, parry, rules question, staff