Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 AM   #31
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [DF] How Many Abilities Should A Race Get?

I think having a template with a humanoid form that transforms into a demonic form might be a decent solution, though I doubt it will get much below 250 CP. For another interpretation of Succubus, look at Lost Girl, where the succubus has the power to drain an entire room. Her ability would be Leech 1 (Accelerated Healing, +25%; Cone, 10 yards, +140%; Link, +10%; Malediction 2, +150%; Ranged, +40%; Steals FP, +50%; Selectivity, +10%) [132] plus Affliction 1 (Cone, 10 yards, +140%; Ecstasy, Secondary, +20%; Euphoria, +30%; Link, +10%; Malediction 2, +150%) [45], meaning that would be 177 CP by itself.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #32
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I think having a template with a humanoid form that transforms into a demonic form might be a decent solution, though I doubt it will get much below 250 CP. For another interpretation of Succubus, look at Lost Girl, where the succubus has the power to drain an entire room. Her ability would be Leech 1 (Accelerated Healing, +25%; Cone, 10 yards, +140%; Link, +10%; Malediction 2, +150%; Ranged, +40%; Steals FP, +50%; Selectivity, +10%) [132] plus Affliction 1 (Cone, 10 yards, +140%; Ecstasy, Secondary, +20%; Euphoria, +30%; Link, +10%; Malediction 2, +150%) [45], meaning that would be 177 CP by itself.
Sure, but why would you want to give a player that kind of power as the part of a race template in a DF adventure?

It eats up so much of their budget that the character will either use it as an I-win button, or encounter something it isn't very effective against and be overshadowed by other player characters who are less one-note.

It isn't something I'd like to deal with as a GM either.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #33
Hide

Hey there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
The problem with this is that now your character is sexually attractive to EVERYTHING, EVEN THINGS WHICH DON'T EXPERIENCE SEXUAL ATTRACTION, if you can't see the problem with this there's something wrong with you.
At the beginning I ignored the fact that your definition of succubus race lacked certain traits that consolidate it as such.

However, considering your comments on this thread, it became more and more obvious that this race you want to establish as succubi drifts away from the original definition.

To exemplify what I understand from you at this point: It is as if you started a thread asking for abilities for human beings, but little by little your definition of a human being stands for something (similar, but actually very) different: An ape.

I don’t know if you lack information about succubi or if you simply dislike the fact that succubi are demons. But as I see it, such potential bias is actually making you shun away abilities or concepts that do make a succubus. This takes me to this comment of yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Why are you so hung up on them ingesting this sort of stuff?
Blood, semen, the vaginal mucous (sometimes heat, breath and saliva), are considered (in many cultures and the folklore around the world) ““containers”” of the “very energy of creation”; that’s sort of basic if you talk about succubi, as they have contact with it during sex. You can look for it.

Succubi feed from energy, which is gathered trough sex. Ideally, they should be capable of luring any sentient being into giving away themselves through sex. The easier they can achieve such feat, the better they are. If the (sentient) creature is capable of having sex, it does not matter whether it originally has a sexual drive or not. That’s when the power of the succubus takes action. If a succubus is not capable of doing this basic feat, then it is a useless succubus.

That’s another reason I originally pointed that succubi start with the advantages attractive (without enhancements) and awe. Then I said you could expand the abilities buying universal, and later I said you could include cosmic; these two are not quite basic, but strengthen the race’s concept.

Succubi are very inclined to taking action as soon as you give them the chance, they want it right now. In the human norm, that would look as if they were desperate, but they are not.

This is just an approach to how a succubus abilities should start, including:

Basic Succubus [40] to [75]

Advantages
Appearance (Attractive +4) [4]
Awe I [40] (sidenote: you could change awe for charisma 8 or less)
Extra Fatigue Points III [9]
Increased HP III [6]
Leech I [45] (Heals FP (Player Chooses), +60%; Contact agent (must touch skin), -30%; Affects Others (Single person), +50%)
Sanitized Metabolism [1]

Disadvantages
Draining [-10] (Blood, Common, -5, Illegal -5)
Unhealing [-20] (Partial)
Old 10-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Thanks largely to Morrigan Aensland, wings have become pretty much a defining characteristic of succubi .
Batwings dominated the portrayal of succubi long before Morrigan. But that's because they're demons. The wings and the claws are the props of a kind of creature that this one specifically isn't.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #35
AlexanderHowl

I would suggest the following aspects would be a minimum for a Succubus based off modern interpretations:

Appearance (Beautiful) [12]
Flight (Winged, -25%) [30]
-Cutting Attack 4d (AA; Melee Attack, Reach 1-4, Dual Weapon, -0%) [6]
-Morph (AA; Cosmetic, -50%; Retains Shape, -20%) [6]
Leech (Accessibility, Sex, -25%; Accelerated Healing, +25%; Blood Agent, -40%; Heals FP, +60%) [30]
-Healing (AA) [6]
-Immunity (AA; Metabolic Hazards) [6]
Reproductive Control [1]
Voice [10]

Lecherousness (12-) [-15]
Xenophilia (12-) [-10]
Old 10-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #36
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
I would suggest the following aspects would be a minimum for a Succubus based off modern interpretations:

Appearance (Beautiful) [12]
Flight (Winged, -25%) [30]
-Cutting Attack 4d (AA; Melee Attack, Reach 1-4, Dual Weapon, -0%) [6]
-Morph (AA; Cosmetic, -50%; Retains Shape, -20%) [6]
Leech (Accessibility, Sex, -25%; Accelerated Healing, +25%; Blood Agent, -40%; Heals FP, +60%) [30]
-Healing (AA) [6]
-Immunity (AA; Metabolic Hazards) [6]
Reproductive Control [1]
Voice [10]

Lecherousness (12-) [-15]
Xenophilia (12-) [-10]
Couple things. First, I personally would definitely not allow such a list of abilities to be AAs. They aren't linked thematically or in terms of source. Second, I don't think you can use Blood Agent on sex-based abilitites, I think it has to be Contact Agent. You can use Takes Extra Time (the succubus template from Horror has 10 levels) to lower the price. As it stands now, your succubus will be able to drain her partner in a matter of seconds. I also don't really see the point of including Healing, especially without Affects Self.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #37
AlexanderHowl

Blood Agent effects mucous membranes, which includes the sex organs, mouth, and anus.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #38
Hide

Quote:
I would suggest the following aspects would be a minimum for a Succubus based off modern interpretations (...)
Magnificent.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #39
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Couple things. First, I personally would definitely not allow such a list of abilities to be AAs. They aren't linked thematically or in terms of source. Second, I don't think you can use Blood Agent on sex-based abilitites, I think it has to be Contact Agent. You can use Takes Extra Time (the succubus template from Horror has 10 levels) to lower the price. As it stands now, your succubus will be able to drain her partner in a matter of seconds. I also don't really see the point of including Healing, especially without Affects Self.
The thematic relationship between Flight, Cutting Attack, and Morph is the tenebrous material that makes up the wings (Flight occurs when extended from the shoulders, Cutting Attack occurs when extended from the arms, and Morph occurs when wrapped around the body). The thematic relationship for the Leech, Healing, and Immunity is manipulation of life force (Leech is taking, Healing is giving, and Immunity is balancing). As for the quickness of Leech, you do not need to drain every second.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:47 AM   #40
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
At the beginning I ignored the fact that your definition of succubus race lacked certain traits that consolidate it as such.

However, considering your comments on this thread, it became more and more obvious that this race you want to establish as succubi drifts away from the original definition.

To exemplify what I understand from you at this point: It is as if you started a thread asking for abilities for human beings, but little by little your definition of a human being stands for something (similar, but actually very) different: An ape.

I don’t know if you lack information about succubi or if you simply dislike the fact that succubi are demons. But as I see it, such potential bias is actually making you shun away abilities or concepts that do make a succubus.
Being a demon is not a core trait of succubi, while many are, not all are and this seems to be a trait that has fallen by the wayside, and the very first succubus was not. Given how varied succubi tend to be it's likely that they began as a collection on unrelated myths, not all of them demonic.

Quote:
Blood, semen, the vaginal mucous (sometimes heat, breath and saliva), are considered (in many cultures and the folklore around the world) ““containers”” of the “very energy of creation”; that’s sort of basic if you talk about succubi, as they have contact with it during sex. You can look for it.
Those views are no where near universal, nor do they really fir in here. If the view of blood as the source of life was so strong, blood-letting would have never caught on a a treatment.

This also has some rather big problems with making them a player race.

Quote:
That’s another reason I originally pointed that succubi start with the advantages attractive (without enhancements) and awe. Then I said you could expand the abilities buying universal, and later I said you could include cosmic; these two are not quite basic, but strengthen the race’s concept.
I never put Universal on the trable.

Quote:
The thematic relationship between Flight, Cutting Attack, and Morph is the tenebrous material that makes up the wings (Flight occurs when extended from the shoulders, Cutting Attack occurs when extended from the arms, and Morph occurs when wrapped around the body). The thematic relationship for the Leech, Healing, and Immunity is manipulation of life force (Leech is taking, Healing is giving, and Immunity is balancing). As for the quickness of Leech, you do not need to drain every second.
Any Morph or Alternate From would not be racial, but rather brought after wards, so that a succubus could have many forms, otherwise they would be limited to one. And 4d is massive for a starting player where melee combat is viable.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote