Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
jackcelso

Default Area spells and Size modifiquer

Hi

I have a doubt, if a Giant SM+4, occupying an area of ​​2 hexes of radius is cast with a spell mass sleep what would be the FP cost?

1. Base cost: 3. Minimum radius 2yards. So cost 6 covering the entire are where the Giant is.
By reading DFRPG (with is not GURPS) the SM +4 is irrelevant (absolut no metion in any GURPS book or official FAQ).

2. Should I multiple by SM+4 so cost 30 points.

The option 1 sees a litlle out of the cost range agaist Sleep. Cost 4 multiple by SM+4 . total cost 20FP

Any official rules any where our comments.
jackcelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Area spells and Size modifiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcelso View Post
Hi

I have a doubt, if a Giant SM+4, occupying an area of ​​2 hexes of radius is cast with a spell mass sleep what would be the FP cost?

1. Base cost: 3. Minimum radius 2yards. So cost 6 covering the entire are where the Giant is.
By reading DFRPG (with is not GURPS) the SM +4 is irrelevant (absolut no metion in any GURPS book or official FAQ).

2. Should I multiple by SM+4 so cost 30 points.

The option 1 sees a litlle out of the cost range agaist Sleep. Cost 4 multiple by SM+4 . total cost 20FP

Any official rules any where our comments.
Large Size and Magic thread tangentially touched on this and based on the RAW spell cost does increase with size but does not decrease (ie a pixie like creature would pay spell costs as if they were SM 0)
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Hi

No different than for a SM+0 caster. The "Area" of Area spells is not relative to the caster. It uses the same 1 yard hexes everyone else does.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #4
Varyon

Is the question here how to handle if the SM+4 giant is the one casting the spell (what the other two posters seem to think it's about), or about an SM+4 giant being the target of a spell cast by someone else (which was my assumption)?
Old 04-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #5
Pursuivant

Quote:
Base Cost 3 x minimum radius 2 = 6 FP.

You pay the same cost regardless of the target's SM.

Remember, Area spells cover a circle of ground and then affect whatever is inside that circle.

Total casting cost for Area spells is always (spell base cost x spell radius in hexes*) - energy reductions for high skill.

Look at Page 11 of GURPS Magic (English version) for full rules. Sorry that I can't provide a Portuguese edition page number.

The one problem with putting a big giant to sleep is that Area spells effects only extend 12 feet (4 yards/meters) above the ground. (Think of the area of effect as a cylinder-shaped area.) If the giant is taller than that the GM might rule that the spell doesn't work because it doesn't affect the giant's entire body.

There are no official rules which apply to this situation, either way. Hope that your GM is generous!

* Or meters or yards if you're not using a battle map.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:49 PM   #6
jackcelso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Is the question here how to handle if the SM+4 giant is the one casting the spell (what the other two posters seem to think it's about), or about an SM+4 giant being the target of a spell cast by someone else (which was my assumption)?

the giant is the target
Old 04-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
the giant is the target
The FP cost would change for a Spell of the "Regular" class but not for one of the "Area" class. As logn as the giant officially occupies on of the hexes in the affected Area he takes the full effect. It doesn't even matter if some parts of his body (or eve the Head) are outside the area.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Does DFRPG replace the SM rule in Magic with the use of Area spells instead of Regular for single targets?
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:40 PM   #9
jackcelso

in DFRPG the description of area spell are very clear.... SM doesnt matter for the cost of the spell if the target has SM+20 and he is inside the area the cost is the same to affect a SM 0 target
Old 04-26-2022, 07:12 AM   #10
Anaraxes

Thanks. It's nice to know the DFRPG take, as it's another view on basically the same rules. So, changes are something to ponder.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote