Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #61
jason taylor

Default Re: Bronze-Age city-states and the gifts of their gods

What do the Hulwaldian's do when they are attacked. Surely they need a more belligerent god for times like that?

Also which pagan goddesses were you using as models? The first that comes to mind is Hestia. Though Hestia and Athena are my two favorite Olympians(Athena is nothing like that; she was kind of like Jadzia Dax recycled on Olympus), but Hestia is a lot like your weeping goddess. I suppose they appeal to the modern pallette better then, say, Ares. Come to think of it, the Hellenes seemed to have liked them better too.

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-21-2013 at 08:53 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #62
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
That doesn't sound like the kind of goddess you would have in Warhammer. But maybe I'm thinking of 40K.
She's in Fantasy. And yeah, she's unusually kind, caring, and helpful.

In the 1st Edition Warhammer Fantasy game, which has an alignment system, she's the only one of the human pantheon listed as Good (which does not mean that there are not some minor or regional human gods who are also good). That edition is arguably not so grimdark, though.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #63
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
What do the Hulwaldian's do when they are attacked. Surely they need a more belligerent god for times like that?

Also which pagan goddesses were you using as models? The first that comes to mind is Hestia. Though Hestia and Athena are my two favorite Olympians(Athena is nothing like that; she was kind of like Jadzia Dax recycled on Olympus), but Hestia is a lot like your weeping goddess. I suppose they appeal to the modern pallette better then, say, Ares. Come to think of it, the Hellenes seemed to have liked them better too.
I'm going with the one god per city/tribe rule the OP laid out at the beginning.

Even so, the goddess does not do anything to prevent her people from defending themselves. She doesn't teach that they must not fight. The ones who hold containers of her tears are reluctant to kill, but that doesn't apply to anything close to the whole city. And if a cruel enemy enters the city to enslave, murder, rape and pillage, Twylb is going to show up and start crying in front of the commander. Not good. Imagine the horror as his lieutenants see their hearty chieftain wither with unnatural age while a seemingly defenseless girl whom none of them can bear to strike stands before them weeping...

RE mythology-

Twylb is not based on any specific mythological figure, but the helpful and health-wise aspects of Artemis and the Roman cult of Bona Dea come to mind.

If you want to see one with a more definite connection to a mythological figure, Bulbulus was inspired by Beelzebub as 'Lord of the Flies.' But there's an important difference. Bulbulus isn't a demon or a fallen angel. He's not even 'evil' in the sense you or I would use the word. He's weird, not malicious.

Last edited by combatmedic; 09-21-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #64
jason taylor

Indar: goddess of homes.

In her domain are all who deal with domestic crafts. Housewifes, chefs, and such are in her domain. As are all domestic servants. All house feys regard her as their queen. She is also the queen of architects. She has a martial side as well as the personal guards of the rich and noble pledge to her. Marriages are pledged by her as are the oaths of armsmen to their lord. She punishes unfaithful servants and tyranical masters and has a special fondness for children. Her symbol is the ever-tended fire.

The city of Parda holds her as patron. Pardan chefs are known for miles around and it is a mark of honor for a noble to have one in their employ.

Disad: SoD(homes and all connected with it)

Skills:

Area Knowledge

Cooking

needs a bit more work.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #65
combatmedic
Banned

I like the use of 'house feys.'

I also like Indar's multiple areas of interest.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #66
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I like the use of 'house feys.'

I also like Indar's multiple areas of interest.
Actually Indar was a pun on tinder as in "fireplace tinder". Parda was a pun on Parsi as Parsis think fire is really, really, cool.

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-21-2013 at 10:23 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #67
combatmedic
Banned

Nice.

I've just written up another:

Slizatt The One Who Delights in the Cracking of Whips

Slizatt appears as flabby, pale man in a black leather hood and studded leather skirt. He carries a barbed whip that drips with scorpion venom. The god imprisons or tortures anyone who crosses his path. He lives in a dungeon under the settlement of his tribe, emerging when the supply of prisoners/toys dwindles or he decides a ‘holiday’ is due to him.
Most the god’s victims die in agony, but some survive with bodies and souls scarred. Dark, terrible urges seethe in their twisted minds. Each survivor bears a bloody mark somewhere upon his flesh, the parting kiss of the envenomed whip.

Slizatt’s people dwell in the basalt city of Zerat, built in the caldera of an extinct volcano. The grim town rises between a beautiful crystal blue lake and rich fields of loam good for growing many foodstuffs. The men of Zerat send armed parties into the countryside, searching for potential captives to replenish their slave stock.

Slizzat's gift:
0 point
• Talent/4 (interrogation, intimidation, profession: jailer, profession: slaver, shadowing, stealth) 20
• Bully (SC 15) -5
• Sadism (SC 15) -7
• Callous (SC 15) -3
• Wounded -5

Another forumite created a god with Callous as part of the divine gift. I think Slizzat and his gift are different enough from that other one to pass muster, but I welcome criticism.

EDIT- Went with flabby body. He looks and acts differently than Vastil, so a mere paunch and pale complexion is acceptable overlap.

Last edited by combatmedic; 09-21-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #68
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Nice.

I've just written up another:

Slizatt The One Who Delights in the Cracking of Whips

Slizatt appears as flabby, pale man in a black leather hood and studded leather skirt. He carries a barbed whip that drips with scorpion venom. The god imprisons or tortures anyone who crosses his path. He lives in a dungeon under the settlement of his tribe, emerging when the supply of prisoners/toys dwindles or he decides a ‘holiday’ is due to him.
Most the god’s victims die in agony, but some survive with bodies and souls scarred. Dark, terrible urges seethe in their twisted minds. Each survivor bears a bloody mark somewhere upon his flesh, the parting kiss of the envenomed whip.

Slizatt’s people dwell in the basalt city of Zerat, built in the caldera of an extinct volcano. The grim town rises between a beautiful crystal blue lake and rich fields of loam good for growing many foodstuffs. The men of Zerat send armed parties into the countryside, searching for potential captives to replenish their slave stock.

Slizzat's gift:
0 point
• Talent/4 (interrogation, intimidation, profession: jailer, profession: slaver, shadowing, stealth) 20
• Bully (SC 15) -5
• Sadism (SC 15) -7
• Callous (SC 15) -3
• Wounded -5

Another forumite created a god with Callous as part of the divine gift. I think Slizzat and his gift are different enough from that other one to pass muster, but I welcome criticism.

EDIT- Went with flabby body. He looks and acts differently than Vastil, so a mere paunch and pale complexion is acceptable overlap.
Somehow I think Indar would be SLIGHTLY better company at a tea party.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #69
the_seeker

This thread strongly and pleasantly reminds me of a certain Lord of Chaos and his patronage of Nadsokor, City of Beggars. :)

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.
the_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #70
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_seeker View Post
This thread strongly and pleasantly reminds me of a certain Lord of Chaos and his patronage of Nadsokor, City of Beggars. :)
Ah, yeah!

I love Nadsokor.

Check out 'Erbin the God of Beggars' from the 3rd Edition D&D web enhancement for Deities and Demigods:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020406a

Tags
bronze age, collaborative setting, divine gift