Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
kimski

Default HOW DO YOU PLAY THIS GAME?

I just bought "Munchkin" at Target and these instructions are horrific. I am so completely confused. Below is just a sampling of my questions.
What is the objective?
What are the tokens for?
Why are there level cards higher than 10 if level 10 means you win?
What does the "will not pursue" cards mean - you won't pursue others?
How do you use Treasure cards?
When do you look at your face down cards in order to play them?
What do you do with the class cards?
What is the dice for?
What do the gold coins do for you?
When does your turn end?
The examples crack me up because I have no idea how to get to level r with a chainsaw!
These directions don't explain any of this stuff. Is this a continuation of another game or something?
kimski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Quaff_fu

Default Re: HOW DO YOU PLAY THIS GAME?

Start here: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/demo.html

Pat
Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimski View Post
I just bought "Munchkin" at Target and these instructions are horrific. I am so completely confused. Below is just a sampling of my questions.
I've never personally seen the Target version, so I can't comment on the completeness of the rules. The current version of the rules can be found online here.

As for your questions, I'm not sure if they are referring to components specific to the Target version, or not (e.g. "level cards").
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
bonetm

Quote:
What is the objective?
First of all, I think you should probably just re-read the rules, slowly. They are not as horrific as you put, there is even an example of combat that details most of the game.

The main objective is to gain Levels. You start at Level 1 and the game ends when someone gets to Level 10. You can gain Levels in 3 ways, basically: Killing Monsters during Combats, with Go Up a Level cards and Selling Itens. All of theses have their own session in the rulesheet.

Quote:
What are the tokens for?
I don't know what tokes you are refering to, but I suppose that you are talking about the passage in the rules that say you must use some token to keep track of Levels? If so, that's just it, you should use something to keep track of how many levels each player has.

Quote:
These cards are Monsters. You fight with them to get more Treasure and Levels. Your Level (trait) can go from 1 to 10, but your power force can add for more than that. So you could have 3 Levels and a total power of 43, if you have cards that add bonus to you.

Quote:
There is a sticky thread in this forum with this. It says READ ME FIRST. There is a link to the Munchkin FAQ and other useful links. This is a very FAQed question. Will not pursue means that the MONSTER will not care for you. In the case that you lose to him, you don't need to roll to Run Away, your scape is automatic.

Quote:
There are a lot of different Treasure cards, the rules explicitly says how to use any of them. If you read the rules again and don't understand, I would suggest you make more specific questions about your doubts.

Quote:
You keep cards in your hands, and you can look at them any time. Cards drawed face down just mean the OTHER players won't see it.

Quote:
You can keep them in your hand or you can play it to the table. The moment you play it, you become a member of that Class or Race and have the advantages printed on the card, and disadvantages that some monster might have a special bonus against you, or you won't be able to use certain itens.

Quote:
What is the dice for?
To roll for Running Away, some special abilities tell you to roll (like the Thief card), some other cards might say you have to roll a dice.

Quote:
Gold Coins serve two purposes: first, any card with a Gold value, even if it is No Value, is an Item. Itens have a series of special rules, the rulesheet tell you them. They are different from other Treasure cards.

Also, you can use the Gold value to sell Itens. If you have 1000 or more, you can discard said itens and go up one Level. If you add 2000, 2 Levels, and so on. You can't to this to win the game.

Quote:
When does your turn end?
After the Charity phase, you say to next player: "It is your turn".

Quote:
The examples crack me up because I have no idea how to get to level r with a chainsaw!
These directions don't explain any of this stuff. Is this a continuation of another game or something?
Actually, they do explain. You are just confused because you don't know what are the Monsters, what are the Treasures. Maybe if you read the cards and re-read the rules the things will be clearer. It's actually a very simple game. You can play the online Munchkin Demo.

If you have other doubts, just ask here. The Munchkin community is very helpful.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
d-vils_wingman

Quote:
What is the objective?
What are the tokens for?
What is the dice for?
When does your turn end?
Based on those questions, and that you've read the rules, I'm guessing you might think the game is a CCG like Magic: The Gathering, which is not the case because there is no rarity to the cards. For example, the cards in Star Munchkin are the same cards in all Star Munchkin boxes. You fight monsters instead of other players, though you can strengthen monsters that they fight.
You can also team-up to help fight monsters and share the reward.
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I've never personally seen the Target version,
There is no separate "Target version." It's standard Munchkin.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
emillang1000

I think he was referring to the Munchkin that came out in Target with the special dice, etc.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
There is no separate "Target version." It's standard Munchkin.
Ah, I had gathered that it was somehow a special printing (like the B&N Bobblehead) that was different in some small way from the version at the FLGS. I have no idea where I got that idea. Thanks, Andrew!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Ah, I had gathered that it was somehow a special printing (like the B&N Bobblehead) that was different in some small way from the version at the FLGS. I have no idea where I got that idea. Thanks, Andrew!
There was a test version early last year, but the version now in Target is standard Munchkin. And even the test version was standard, just with a few extra goodies.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
RL

The special Target version of Munchkin contained the following:
  • A standard copy of fantasy Munchkin, 20th printing.
  • A Munchkin Reloaded! booster pack.
  • A standard cream-colored Munchkin-head d6.
  • A metallic brown Munchkin-head d6 (unique to the set).
  • The Target Acquisition bookmark (unique to the set).
  • A standard set of Munchkin rules.
The box is a regular fantasy Munchkin box, differentiated only by a gold sticker that says "Exclusive Bonus Content".