Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #61
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

The voice is sing-song, sweet, and unsympathetic: "You are not authorized to perform an identity search. An identity search is already in progress. When a matching identity profile is discovered, we will update it and let you know."

The device gives instructions on how to contact Welker, which feel fairly natural to her, though the names feel new.

The device appears to have some limits, at least.

The food arrives, placed behind the panel at the end of the room. Its steaming hot, and appear to be quite fresh. It tastes very good. A glass of water is next to it. Not really a glass though, but some more of that synthetic not-plastic stuff. Something about it bugs her.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #62
Plane

*finishes food and drink* (gotta stay hydrated, off-taste or not) and if tired, take a nap. When rested, "please page mister Welker, I'd like that tour now if he is free".

Since this System Access Unit is smartphone size, she'll pocket it if the clothing provided has a pocket, otherwise keep it in hand.

"While I'm waiting, do you know if there are any others like me who don't use an Advanced Neural Interface? How many ANI-free are SAU-ers?"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Jane feels that strange stuffiness come and go a few more times while she is eating. She feels quite awake, and sends a message to Mr. Welker about walking around.

He takes a few minutes to answer, and his answer is sent to her over the SAU: "I don't have time right now. perhaps in a few hours."

The SAU fits nicely into one of her pockets.

"You are not authorized to access that information. It is possible there is another user of an System Access Unit, but it is unlikely. System Access Units are most common among children and highly religious communities, and uncommon on far scientific bases such as this."

Mr. Welker seems to be taking his statement of "perhaps in a few hours" seriously.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #64
Plane

"I guess I need something to pass the time... SAU is there any educational programs I can access that could teach me to be more useful to this crew?"
Old 10-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #65
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The SAU shows her a myriad of potential things to learn. Some seem academic, others more practical. Its some sort of library created to teach people things.

Much of the content seems to require an ANI.

What sorts of skills will "Olive" look for?

Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #66
Plane

I guess if there's any info available about work that needs done, labour shortages?
Old 10-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #67
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

There is a bunch of info on the "Global Database Backup" for needed jobs. none of them are on this ship, and they're all two days out of date. There is a large call for people to sell things, to perform medical services, to work with technology of some sort (that part is rather opaque), "AutoManagers" (which appears to mean monitoring machines) and designers for "Rooms" and "Sets", which appears to have something to do with the ANI. A lot of little niche jobs also appear, but they seem to all require and ANI, even ones that seem mundane. Why does a plumber need one? The presence of habitat maintenance jobs is a little jarring for some reason.

She does find the old applications to get on the beagle: it states quite plainly that all positions are filled, but the voice in the access unit is remarkably helpful at interpolating and gathering a list of what WAS required. About half of the crew here are researchers, with the others being highly qualified experts in various fields like medicine, zero-g ballistics, Habitat maintenance, logistics, and others. There is a conspicuous lack of cooks and cleaners outside of "auto-managers".

Strangely, she finds her eyes keep drifting back to the list of research positions. Something about all that feels familiar.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #68
Plane

"Computer is there any area in the Research department where I could assist?"
Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #69
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"All positions on the Beagle are filled. Scanning medical statistics indicates that temporary positions may be available. You do not have access to determine which positions need temporary assistance. Would you like to contact the head of hiring for the Beagle?"

Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #70
Plane

"If they're available, yes, I'd like to know if I could help as a temporary medical scanner"