Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Aocast

Default Taking 1x damage in one move?

My GM said that there was a rule where if you take your 1x your HP in one move you immediately die? I haven't been able to find one like that, and I think that rule is BS which is why I'm making sure that I'm right. Someone can take -4.9999999 times their HP and NOT die during the entirety of a fight... But someone takes 1x their HP in one move and die?
Aocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
JMason

Default Re: Taking 1x damage in one move?

Yeah, that rules does not exist. If you take over 1/2 HP then you get a major wound, but the only "insta-death" is 6xHP (takes you down to -5xHP, which kills you).
Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

Your GM must be confused with some other system, as the ONLY way an attack can cause instant death is to bring you to -5x HP.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Your GM either made that rule up or got it from some very optional source. Probably the former.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Your GM either made that rule up or got it from some very optional source. Probably the former.
Or got HIGHLY confused by the blow-through rules.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The closest I've ever seen to that in gurps is in lwcamps wounding system.

which is very much not standard gurps damage and injury, and even he demands that such a blow happen to the brain.

I'm going to say that its a house rule. Its not a terrible house rule, I suppose, but I know of no place where it is written. Let alone being written in the main books.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm going to say that its a house rule. Its not a terrible house rule, I suppose, but I know of no place where it is written.
I'd submit that it is a terrible house rule, especially for a High Tech game where a single shot from almost any rifle or the more-powerful pistols would be an instant no-roll kill.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm going to say that its a house rule. Its not a terrible house rule, I suppose, but I know of no place where it is written. Let alone being written in the main books.
It allows ST11 with a baseball bat to cause instant death with an AoA (Strong) to the torso. That honestly is not a good house rule by any means.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
Landwalker

I'm guessing this whole thing, if not a poorly-considered house rule, is being caused by a gross misunderstanding if the usual HP and death rules: That is, the rule that once you reach 0 HP, you start making HT-based consciousness checks, and once you reach -1xHP, you start making HT-based death checks. But those obviously have the very major differences of 1) allowing "save" rolls, and 2) Not having anything to do with how much injury you suffer from any given single action.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ahh.. I forgot about the no roll part.

Yeah, always roll vs HT to stay alive, unless you hit -HPx5. I was thinking a roll was allowed. I've never seen any 'no roll kill' mechanism outside of -HPx5.

Forcing a roll on a single hit of HP or more might not be bad, but I'd likely only count it if you started with positive HP, give a bonus to the HT roll, and count it as a mortal wound regardless of the actual roll

Reason why?: because right now a 15 point wound to the torso (not vitals) has no way to kill you without bleeding rules (which I never use).

But yes, always always roll.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote