Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
khorboth

Default Feedback Please: Cleric's Black Box for spending CP

Hello,

I'm considering an option for an upcoming fantasy campaign I may run, and I'd like some feedback from you guys before I roll out an idea I'm thinking of.

Clerical powers in this world, similar to in DnD, are granted by the god(s) worshiped. It seems, then, that the GM should control where those points are going. After all, apart from petitioning the deity in question, there's no character input. Therefore, I am considering the black box approach to advancement:

Once Power Investiture is bought (in the usual way), any further points the player wishes to spend on clerical power are put into a "black box" for the GM to assign. The GM will then decide which powers the character gets. Some standard things may be: more Power Investiture, Energy Reserve, Defensive Luck, Blessed, and True Faith. Depending upon the deity, many other powers may be available, but all at the GM's discretion. The Player may petition the GM for given abilities much as the character may pray for certain blessings, but the final call is up to the GM.

The player decides to assign CP to the black box as he would any other ability, but cannot take them back once they are assigned there.

Note that spell skills are not on the list. I plan to use a spell list similar to what is put forth in Dungeon Fantasy (DF1 & DF7) for each of the gods in the world, and once the requisite Power Investiture comes out of the box, the player may spend freely on any spells which are available. Just as the character can practice any spell she knows once granted.

So... Thoughts? Does this sound balanced? Fun? Too authoritarian? Am I overlooking anything?
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Landwalker

Default Re: Feedback Please: Cleric's Black Box for spending CP

Since I'm sure someone else will bring it up, I'll go ahead and get it out of the way: Is there a particular reason you want to tackle the situation from this specific angle instead of using the Divine Favor rules?
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
mehrkat

Can't you just let the player select and just veto anything that the god doesn't want them to take and get messages from the god about what they should take.

It would be a weak god that couldn't send to a message to her worshipers that they should take create food :)

PS Divine Favor is Awesome :) I would go with divine favor.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
Since I'm sure someone else will bring it up, I'll go ahead and get it out of the way: Is there a particular reason you want to tackle the situation from this specific angle instead of using the Divine Favor rules?
I don't own it and have no budget. Also, this is the first I've ever heard of it.

Last edited by khorboth; 04-28-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Can't you just let the player select and just veto anything that the god doesn't want them to take and get messages from the god about what they should take.

It would be a weak god that couldn't send to a message to her worshipers that they should take create food :)
I can, and have in the past.

My goal is to create more of a feeling of the god's power. If the god chooses instead of the player, it would (I hope) create more of a feeling that the character is at the mercy of their god.

It's not a matter of strength, but authority. Instead of telling the devotee to increase their energy pool, the deity simply grants more. Instead of telling the priest to learn more about animals, the god bestows animal empathy. etc.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Mathulhu

I won't post the full build but the basic idea of Divine Favour is that the god is a Patron with enhancements.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
JRutterbush

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
So... Thoughts? Does this sound balanced? Fun? Too authoritarian? Am I overlooking anything?
As long as you give them some sort of bonus in return for not being able to choose their own abilities, I don't see a problem with it. At first glance, I'd say to just add +1 free CP to their "black box" for every 2-3 CP they put into it.
JRutterbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Dammann

I think it's going to feel like fiat game mastering in practice. I know there are a lot of ways to look at role playing games, but one part that is important to me is a sense of collaborative story making. So getting a player's input and direction on something that their character relies upon isn't unreasonable, even if the narrative idea is that the god bestows blessings in a way that suits them. Maybe the player can know things their character doesn't? Some people are bad at compartmentalizing information, or see player failures as less interesting and so bend and twist to "discover" what they already know as players.

Some Advantages, like Serendipity, have some fiat built in. That seems clear enough that a player should know what they are getting into when they take that trait. If you want these gods to behave in mysterious ways, maybe just require stuff like Serendipity (Holy, -10%) as part of the cleric template?

I would like to also endorse the (inevitable) suggestion to use Divine Favor. It's a shame you can't buy it, as it includes some player agency as well as GM fiat in how General Prayer works (basically, "ok, Thor, can you get me outta this one somehow?"). Seems sort of like what you want without taking so much out of the player's hands.

In the end, if the cleric's player is agreeable, then go for it! They may end up having a better time with unallocated points for divine intervention that suits situations they wouldn't have foreseen.

Last edited by Dammann; 04-29-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
dcarson

One way you can make players happier with it would be to have the gods choose correctly. So you do have the oddball ability you end up needing and even get some warning of what major challenge is coming by what ability you get.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

I would definitely not even consider playing a cleric under this scheme. Spending character points on a 'surprise me' basis seems like a horrifically bad investment.

But your player's mileage may vary.