Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #21
HANS

Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

My latest post is "Martial Arts: Sherlock", with an analysis of a brief combat scene in the BBC's Sherlock.

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-21-2016, 12:30 AM   #22
HANS

Thursday is GURPS day!

"Tactical Shooting: Miami Vice" talks about Miami Vice, the series, but mainly about a game-mechanical interpretation of one famous scene.

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #23
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Since I apparently critically failed my roll to find that scene on YouTube, I'd love a link to it.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #24
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Since I apparently critically failed my roll to find that scene on YouTube, I'd love a link to it.
I don't have one. I watch DVDs.

I think there's stuff to learn from the scene even without having seen it. I concede that's a barrier, but I have had people tell me (including in this very thread) that they've watched things after having read one of my writeups. Ideally you'd watch the whole season.

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #25
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
I believe you'll want this link. The setup starts around 7:48, although the "actual scene" in question starts closer to 8:40 or so.

Edit: And may I just say, Mr. Hans, that I'm loving this blog so far. I really enjoy both the scene breakdowns and the weapon writeups.

One thing I've always found interesting in these and other scene writeups is the prevalence of All-Out Attack (even in melee). I'm sure that it's in part a byproduct of cinematic effect (Sam Snead would seem a lot less impressive if he were handling Cairo cautiously, as opposed to manhandling him), but I wonder if GURPS play in practice, because of the attached rules, also tends to significantly understate the commonness of AOAs (or even Committed Attacks).

Last edited by Landwalker; 01-21-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
(Sam Snead would seem a lot less impressive if he were handling Cairo cautiously, as opposed to manhandling him), but I wonder if GURPS play in practice, because of the attached rules, also tends to significantly understate the commonness of AOAs (or even Committed Attacks).
Sam Snead would have used a 5-iron on the gunsel. He was a golfer. Sam _Spade_ was an archetypal P.I. :)
Old 01-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #27
Landwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Sam Snead would have used a 5-iron on the gunsel. He was a golfer. Sam _Spade_ was an archetypal P.I. :)
You know, I typed "Sam Snead" and then looked at it for probably four solid minutes thinking, "Something about this looks wrong..." But I couldn't figure out what it was, and didn't want to bother re-opening Hans's blog to double check the names (especially because I was so pleased with myself for remembering "Cairo") so I just rolled with it.

That'll teach me to trust my first instinct when I've spent half a week being so tired my eyes hurt... >_>

And as somebody who actually is a (very mediocre) golfer myself, that just makes it even more infuriating. Of course I know who Sam Snead is! I know who Sam Snead is more than I know who Sam Spade is! Turns out, that was the problem. =P
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #28
HANS

Quote:
Edit: And may I just say, Mr. Hans, that I'm loving this blog so far. I really enjoy both the scene breakdowns and the weapon writeups.
Thanks!

Quote:
One thing I've always found interesting in these and other scene writeups is the prevalence of All-Out Attack (even in melee). I'm sure that it's in part a byproduct of cinematic effect (Sam Snead would seem a lot less impressive if he were handling Cairo cautiously, as opposed to manhandling him), but I wonder if GURPS play in practice, because of the attached rules, also tends to significantly understate the commonness of AOAs (or even Committed Attacks).
All-Out Attack (Determined) is required for sighted shots, at least if you're using Tactical Shooting. This is an optional rule, but I feel it is one of the most important and realistic rules in that book. Concentrating on the sights comes with advantages (better shots, ie +1 to skill) and disadvantages (tunnel vision etc, ie no active defence). And there is your explanation. Many players (like many real-world shooters!) don't commit fully because they want to keep their chances to "defend" (what's represented by Dodge, usually). This is one reason why so many shots fired by police etc go astray; they learn how to use the sights in training, but as soon as they get into a fight, much of that goes out of the window. The reason that many of the guys in my writeups so far use it is that they are competent "hero" types (actually not really of course, as many of them are criminals, but you get the point). This is the type of guy most players want to play.
I'm planning to write up some more "pedestrian" scenes as well, without fancy moves and lots of misses . . .

Cheers

HANS
Old 01-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #29
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
I don't have one. I watch DVDs.
Ah, Ok. Fair enough. The problem I had with finding that scene on YouTube is the fact that there is later film with the same name.

Quote:
I believe you'll want this link. The setup starts around 7:48, although the "actual scene" in question starts closer to 8:40 or so.
I can't watch that due to my non-Americanness.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #30
HANS

Thursday is GURPS day!

"Tactical Shooting: The Veteran" looks at the British film The Veteran, whose final shootout I dissect in detail.

Cheers

HANS

Tags
blogs, gun fu, guns, high-tech, martial arts, tactical shooting