Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Maz

Default Re: GURPS as a Competitive Game

Apart from various tournament games, included the one with Trooper6. I have also run a Necromunda game using a cut down GURPS ruleset, with a homebrewn campaign-system.

Each player controlled a set of Characters (as per Necromunda the tabletop game). These where pretty much the same. Equipped them from a strict equipment list. They fought on a single (huge) battlemap, after the battle each character were awarded CP based on performance. And so on.

The battles took a long time, but it was fun.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyraccoon View Post
…I had PvP more in mind rather than the "best roleplayer".
Have you seen S John Ross's Gladiator stuff? It's for 3rd ed., but I think you'd find it interesting.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 12-15-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I was part of a very successful PvP gladiatorial combat campaign on RPOL. So that certainly can be done.
I thought I remembered something like this at RPOL, but I wasn't able to dig up anything. It seems like all of those combats, all of those notes, are just gone now? That would be too bad.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #14
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
I thought I remembered something like this at RPOL, but I wasn't able to dig up anything. It seems like all of those combats, all of those notes, are just gone now? That would be too bad.
Yeah...they are all gone. I think it is because the GM deleted the game? Or maybe after an amount of time the game is deleted automatically? It is a really bummer, because Arena of Champions was amazing, also because it would be a really neat resource for others wanting to get a look at GURPS tactical combat in action.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #15
GodBeastX

I'm working on PVP rules for Squad-based play at the moment.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #16
Landwalker

Quote:
Yeah...they are all gone. I think it is because the GM deleted the game? Or maybe after an amount of time the game is deleted automatically? It is a really bummer, because Arena of Champions was amazing, also because it would be a really neat resource for others wanting to get a look at GURPS tactical combat in action.
Yes, unfortunately, after a period of prolonged inactivity, a game is automatically deleted. The GM can undelete it.

There are (and have been) a number of other GURPS arena games on RPOL. For my money, the best was Zuddha Yuddha: The Perfect Combat, which has (I think) unfortunately gone the way of the auto-purge. Its two still-pretty-good successors, ZY2 and ZY3, are still around. ZY3 is nominally even still active, although it seems to have died out recently. Despite the inactivity, they're excellent reference sources for tactical combat in action.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #17
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
Yes, unfortunately, after a period of prolonged inactivity, a game is automatically deleted. The GM can undelete it.

There are (and have been) a number of other GURPS arena games on RPOL. For my money, the best was Zuddha Yuddha: The Perfect Combat, which has (I think) unfortunately gone the way of the auto-purge. Its two still-pretty-good successors, ZY2 and ZY3, are still around. ZY3 is nominally even still active, although it seems to have died out recently. Despite the inactivity, they're excellent reference sources for tactical combat in action.
I have had some of the most fun doing RPOL Arena combats...and also it really helped me get a lot better at GURPS tactical combat in general. I recommend the experience highly!
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
Maz

Quote:
I know the GM who originally made it, but I think he passed GM to another user at some point. I'll ask him.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #19
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I know the GM who originally made it, but I think he passed GM to another user at some point. I'll ask him.
He says: Sorry no. It's completely lost.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #20
Crzyraccoon

Back a long while back, I've thought of collecting premade characters, now it would be fun if you could win equipment.

No Sense of Humor [-10]
Crzyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote