Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #11
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: INFINATE W?rlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
Heck, as soon as I get my hands on Infinite Worlds, that's what I'm planning on doing.

Of course, my approach for Homeline and Infinity Unlimited is to make it less exploitive and more Federation-like...

Edit: Makes more sense to me, actually: Since Homeline's biggest problem is it's parachronic range, why not encourage the creation of allies at the outer edges of it's range with similar parachronic technology, so as to use them as expansion points?
The main flaw in that idea is the way parachronic technology is supposed to work - Projectors which allow going into other quanta only seem to work on Homeline and Centrum (Shikaku-Mon is a big maybe).

Infinate worlds finally acknowledge what I have been saying almost since Time Travel came out - parachronic technology is not the only way to go around the quanta. Nexus points, dimensional highways, shiftrealms, magic, and world jumpers are all now part of the Homeline-Centrum setting and it is stated that none of these may have the limiations parachronic technology of Homeline and Centrum does. In fact the FP cost of going three quanta and beyond is listed on IW174 for world jumpers.

Then you have Mobius which shows just how flawed parachronic theory is: worlds are not supposed to exist in two quanta (4 and 7) at the exact same time but Mobius does exactly that. The viability for something like Paradox-1 (a personal creation) that opperates on a different type of travel is as viable as what Homeline and Centrum are doing is far more likely.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #12
mearrin69

Default Re: INFINATE W∞rlds

I like the gate as a reality shard idea mentioned earlier.

The book, in its description of reality shards, mentioned that a shard might be 'blown' to several worldlines on creation. If the gate was some kind of magical creation that went awry (Cabal maybe) then that might explain the existence of multiple gates on multiple worlds.

Might be some good adventures in just going and digging them all up. Just a thought.
M

...I always did like the way 'coordinates' worked with the stargate. Be interesting to come up with something similar for a parachronic gate - or maybe you can reach an infinite number of worlds, even if they don't have a gate just by dialing in their coords.
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #13
Gerrod Tezerenee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kjeran
Well, wasn't it Heinlein (or was it Clark) who said "Advanced technologfy is indistinguishable from magic"? My interp. has always been that the SG gates is just really advanced tech...ymmv. (Note, I'm not clear on canon regarding this...I've seen the movie and watch the series occasionally.)
Having watched most of the show I just have to say you got it right on both counts.

Commonly referred as Clarke's Law - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic

The other is that the Stargate's, build by an ancient now missing race that uses science that is not really understood by the Characters. And for the most of the time you could really just say the "Magical Gate" ( the really uses it that way ) and through out a few Techno Babble Words to keep them guessing.

Scientia Est Potentia
Gerrod Tezerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #14
NightHawk

Well I was thinking that if you do a combo of world hoping and time travel then you can get this huge mix and the ancient race that built it might actually still exist in one of the timelines maybe in one of the timelines the ancients are good and the other they are evil.

You could have a race between timelines to actually find the existing living race of ancients and in thier homeline maybe the gates are still yet undiscovred so you have to find out 1. where they are (which planet) and two if you can go to that planet and then slip into thier timestream from there. Maybe you have to even go to an alternate timeline then go to the planet then slip into another timeline again.

Makes for an interesting possiblility of twist like what if you can't get back the same way you get there???

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds