Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #1
Toa

Default Infinite Worlds: Quantum Limit

So okay, neither Infinity Unlimited nor Centrum can build a conveyor that transports things more than 2 Quantums. Just one question... why?

a.) Infinity Unlimited is on Quantum 5. Their conveyors have a Quantum range from Quantum 3-7. What if they were to build - from scratch! - a conveyor on Quantum 3. Would this thing be able to travel to Quantum 1-5? If not, why? Because of the technology involved? This leads me to...

b.) Centrum is on Quantum 8. Their conveyvors have a Quantum range from Quantum 6-10. What if Infinity Ulimited were to capture one of their conveyors? Would they be able to extract the technology for travel up to Quantum 10?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:14 PM   #2
Ndreare

Default Re: Infinite Worlds: Quantum Limit

As I understand it they can go from 8 to 6 then from 6 to 4 just not from 8 to 4.

That is how they found all the other worlds.
Ndreare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
cccwebs

Hmm, scientifically I don't think there is anyone who could answer the question as Quantum travel of that nature is well outside of our current understanding and technology. So, the only reason I can give is for the intrigue/espionage/suspense factor. Both sides must fight a covert war in which there is limited, if any, danger of a full scale attack on thier own "homeline". The war will last forever if neither side can get rid of the other. Of course you as the GM can always have another world invent quantum travel on it's own and have it able to travel to both Homeline and Centrum and then see where the "war" goes.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:49 PM   #4
GeneralTacticus

The actual problem, as I understand it, is that there are only two known timelines where projectors work; in all the others, they simply fail to function. If all that was required for the two sides to rreach each other was to build a projector in a different quantum, it would have been over a long time ago.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
BeUrgaust

Location: OKC,OK, USA, Earth Omicron circa early 21st century

It wouuld be possible that there are civilizations so far advanced from these to timelines that this kind of travel is obsolete or no longer novel enough to exert efforts with.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:17 AM   #6
NightHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeUrgaust
It wouuld be possible that there are civilizations so far advanced from these to timelines that this kind of travel is obsolete or no longer novel enough to exert efforts with.

Perhaps those civilizations are even interfering with it.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Toa

So noone really seems to know... well, I hope they'll clear this thing up in GURPS Infinite Worlds.

Tags
infinite worlds