Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #21
Anaraxes

Default Re: Armored... Shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
How long is 'not that long'? {for running shoe lifetime}
Another way to look at it is that they're good for about 500 miles, a limit mostly determined by the cushioning wearing out.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
...my GF's had to tape some of hers up while raising the dough to replace them.
I've done that as well... depending on circumstances and the job.

In some jobs, that's simply not possible, it would be too great a safety hazard. In others... eh... I've done the "Duct tape across the holes in the soles and tape the side rents shut" routine for a month or so while socking aside spare cahs to buy new boots. I've also simply glued the soles back on when they separated, that's best done before they completely come off of course.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:05 AM   #23
scc

I've got flat feet with inserts to correct for that, and I've noticed a couple of things about shoe life:
If the size is just right they'll last for about two year before I wear a hole in the sole about where my toes are.
If I don't get the size right they last for about 6 months before some part of the lining wears out and starts rubbing my foot, at which point I have to chuck them because they hurt too much to walk in.
Now the above is for runners, I've recently switched to construction boots for work purposes and they look like they'll last much longer.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
Celti

Other than special occasions where I need dress shoes to go with a suit, I wear one of two types of shoe. Comparing them truly highlights the Samuel Vimes “Boots” Theory of Economic Injustice:
  • My nearly-disposably cheap department store sandals, with thick rubber soles and cheap leather thongs and padding. I generally replace these every year or two, as they see a great deal of use from being my “duck out on a quick errand” shoes.
  • My rather expensive boots, which see at least as much wear as my sandals, being worn any time I know I'll need to be shod for more than a couple hours or doing extensive walking and/or lifting. They're made of good solid leather, dressy enough to wear for semi-formal* occasions, but durable enough I can hike, hump, and camp with them. I have owned two pair of these, ever, and only replaced the first set because there was mechanical damage that I didn't have time to get properly repaired.

* Also “Southwestern” formal, being as Arizona and surrounding places have somewhat out-of-the-ordinary views on formal attire. Arizona state government dress code declares bolo ties as perfectly acceptable neckwear.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #25
Warlockco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Other than special occasions where I need dress shoes to go with a suit, I wear one of two types of shoe. Comparing them truly highlights the Samuel Vimes “Boots” Theory of Economic Injustice:
  • My nearly-disposably cheap department store sandals, with thick rubber soles and cheap leather thongs and padding. I generally replace these every year or two, as they see a great deal of use from being my “duck out on a quick errand” shoes.
  • My rather expensive boots, which see at least as much wear as my sandals, being worn any time I know I'll need to be shod for more than a couple hours or doing extensive walking and/or lifting. They're made of good solid leather, dressy enough to wear for semi-formal* occasions, but durable enough I can hike, hump, and camp with them. I have owned two pair of these, ever, and only replaced the first set because there was mechanical damage that I didn't have time to get properly repaired.

* Also “Southwestern” formal, being as Arizona and surrounding places have somewhat out-of-the-ordinary views on formal attire. Arizona state government dress code declares bolo ties as perfectly acceptable neckwear.
I've worn holes in several pairs of boots (at most I tend to pay $150ish for mine). Have tried to salvage them by getting them re-soled but it just throws the feel/fit off, so I end up replacing them. I find I'm using replacing my heels before even having to worry about the soles.
Colorado has that same "Western" feel for formal footwear, so nice to have a nice pair of black boots that I just need to polish up to wear when I need something nice.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #26
Anthony

Unlike in games, where improved quality is mostly 'better at everything', real-world quality improvements often involve tradeoffs that will make the item worse at specific tasks. Modern shoes have fairly limited lifespans in large part because:
  1. We like lightweight shoes. Reducing weight reduces the durability of whatever component has its weight reduced (of course, if that component normally lasts longer than the rest of the shoe, this is harmless. This tends to result in shoes where everything fails at about the same time, if used in the expected manner).
  2. We like shoes with padding. Padding has an inherently limited lifespan; the more energy the padding absorbs, the shorter its lifespan.
  3. We like shoes that grip surfaces well. That means relatively soft soles, and reduces the lifespan of the sole.
If you want long lasting shoes, you sacrifice one or more of those things. Hiking boots usually have harder soles and worse grips than court shoes. Armored shoes are likely to sacrifice quite a lot of weight and grip quality, and as a result probably last a quite long time (though you may have to replace insoles regularly).
Old 10-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
I've worn holes in several pairs of boots (at most I tend to pay $150ish for mine). Have tried to salvage them by getting them re-soled but it just throws the feel/fit off, so I end up replacing them. I find I'm using replacing my heels before even having to worry about the soles.
Colorado has that same "Western" feel for formal footwear, so nice to have a nice pair of black boots that I just need to polish up to wear when I need something nice.
I've noticed that I tend to walk more on the "balls" of my feet even in shoes. But in light boots, I walk more on the heel, which took some getting used to as it's somewhat of an unnatural gait for me.
Since just this year I've taken up light running, I will have to wait and see how I wear out my present pair.

Tags
armor, armor design, reflex, shoes, ultratech