Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #21
cccwebs

Default Re: Limited use and Maximum Duration out of whack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Regen (FP) is already severely overpriced - altering the cost of Costs FP won't make it significantly more or less balanced.
FP Regen is only overpriced if the setting doesn't have many abilities that spend FP. Of course, if the setting doesn't have many abilities that spend FP, then Regen FP isn't necessary in the first place.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
FP Regen is only overpriced if the setting doesn't have many abilities that spend FP. Of course, if the setting doesn't have many abilities that spend FP, then Regen FP isn't necessary in the first place.
With a 100-point version (1/sec), a player can afford to make all abilities eat up 10 FP/minute; given Kromm's scaleable-FP Krommrule, that's a killer.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Limited Use is out of whack with everything.
It's my experience that this is only true with Limited Use (1), which is strangely priced compared to any number of other limitations. Limited Use (2+) is less of a problem, or so I believe.

But I need to run numbers to be sure.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
With a 100-point version (1/sec), a player can afford to make all abilities eat up 10 FP/minute; given Kromm's scaleable-FP Krommrule, that's a killer.
And with the 150 point version (10/sec), that 10 FP per use power is essentially 0 cost. Combine that with a Powers concept, using ER instead of FP, and with enough ER for the scaleable recovery, and a player could create some very low cost powers that can be very nasty indeed.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Langy

Quote:
And with the 150 point version (10/sec), that 10 FP per use power is essentially 0 cost
Yeah. But you know what? That 10FP per use power is only a -50% limitation. Even on the most expensive powers, that's just 50 points. You need three (super expensive) -10FP per use powers in order to make that 150 points worth of FP Regeneration worth it.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yeah. But you know what? That 10FP per use power is only a -50% limitation. Even on the most expensive powers, that's just 50 points. You need three (super expensive) -10FP per use powers in order to make that 150 points worth of FP Regeneration worth it.
For 500-1000pt-supers - why not?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #27
PK

My house rule for Costs Fatigue takes this into account. If you have Instant Regeneration, the value of Costs Fatigue is reduced to 1/5. With Extreme Regeneration, it's 1/10.

But this is nothing more than the old, "A limitation that doesn't really limit the power is not a limitation." All I'm doing above is turning Costs Fatigue into a leveled Nuisance Effect, really, which is what it becomes if you recover FP that quickly.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #28
Langy

That seems like a good way to go about it, RPK, but it just makes FP Regen even more hideously expensive than it is now. The 50 point version is pretty much never worth it, though on a very high point value Mage the 100 or 150 point ones could work well at their current costs. It's when you're not a Mage that FP Regen is too expensive.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #29
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
My house rule for Costs Fatigue takes this into account. If you have Instant Regeneration, the value of Costs Fatigue is reduced to 1/5. With Extreme Regeneration, it's 1/10.

But this is nothing more than the old, "A limitation that doesn't really limit the power is not a limitation." All I'm doing above is turning Costs Fatigue into a leveled Nuisance Effect, really, which is what it becomes if you recover FP that quickly.
Well, it depends on when you decide that FP is regenerated. Personally, I'd say FP regenerates at the start of the character's turn. This means the character suffers from the effects of spending the FP used for abilities until the next turn.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #30
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post

I was thinking of this as I read the thread. It's nice someone has done the heavy lifting already.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limited use, maximum duration