Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
makai

Default Re: Rate of Fire on a Binding Attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadurian Mike
Yow. RoF300!!!
on a lvl 1 binding, it only ups the cost of the attack to 8 points.
makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Sadurian Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by makai
on a lvl 1 binding, it only ups the cost of the attack to 8 points.
..... *cough*...*munchkin*...*cough*....

;oD
Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
OneSeventeen

Yeah. 2 pts/level fr binding, +300% for RoF 300 is 8 points. With a significant chance of being ridiculously effective. Maybe this is one of those things that they just hope people won't do? Or is it +300% per +1 to RoF? That would seem more complicated than I'd like, but...
OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
makai

there is a % chart for RoF

it's like

2 40%
3 50%
151-300 300%
Old 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #15
Fnordianslip

Keep in mind that a RoF of 300 only gives you a +8 to hit (Campaigns 373). The number of strands that hit would still be based on your margin of success. So, sure, you fired 300 binding strands and, thanks to the bonus, made your roll to hit by 12. With a Recoil of 1, that means that 12 extra strands hit. The rest just hose down the surrounding area. So, 150 strands hitting is impossible. The real bonus comes in when you want to bind everyone in an area. You can spray a lot of hexes with 300 shots in a second. Also, if the target is immobile, like a robbers getaway car before he takes off, you can hit it with ALL of your shots, provided it's big enough. So, that huge RoF would let you completely shut down machinery, still vehicles, etc.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #16
makai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
Keep in mind that a RoF of 300 only gives you a +8 to hit (Campaigns 373). The number of strands that hit would still be based on your margin of success. So, sure, you fired 300 binding strands and, thanks to the bonus, made your roll to hit by 12. With a Recoil of 1, that means that 12 extra strands hit. The rest just hose down the surrounding area. So, 150 strands hitting is impossible. The real bonus comes in when you want to bind everyone in an area. You can spray a lot of hexes with 300 shots in a second. Also, if the target is immobile, like a robbers getaway car before he takes off, you can hit it with ALL of your shots, provided it's big enough. So, that huge RoF would let you completely shut down machinery, still vehicles, etc.
so, exactly how many times could it it stack on a person(considering I rolled as well as possible)? do I have to roll for each blob of web?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #17
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
and if I had Binding 1 (Rapid Fire, RoF 300) and I hit with 150 of them, would I have an ST 150 binding??? because that seems a little broken.
Like Fnordianslip said, if you have Binding 1 (Rapid Fire, RoF 300) you're at most going to hit with 10 to 12 strands for a ST 10 to ST 12 binding, which any strong person can bust out of.

But man, what a mess you've made... *grin*
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
Sadurian Mike

Quote:
so, exactly how many times could it it stack on a person(considering I rolled as well as possible)? do I have to roll for each blob of web?
You don't have to roll for each hit, they are assumed to hit once for the successful roll, and with one extra "missile" for each point you make your attack skill roll by. If you make it by 2, you hit with 3 missiles (strands in your case), if you make it by 10, you hit with 11 strands. Potentially it could stack as many times as you hit, so over multiple rounds you can really plaster the victim.

Realistically though, you are only going to hit a defending target with up to half a dozen strands at a time at most (an assumption based on the normal range of skill levels).
Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
Yes, of course it does. So if you have Binding 20 (Rapid Fire, RoF 10) and you manage to hit someone with 6 strands, they're now splatted with ST 25 webbing.
ST 120 webbing. 6×20==120. Otherwise you get silly results like two identical ST 100 spideys cooperating and only increasing their effectiveness by 1% (assuming RoF 1). Also encourages buying ST 1 Bindings unless you figure original ST into layering.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #20
makai

How does DR affect a binding attack?

Tags
binding, maximum duration, rapid fire