Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
Terquem
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Idaho Falls
Default Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

I have this crazy idea for a Fantasy Trip, “kid’s edition” Kickstarter.

A kid’s sized play mat (like those ones that come in a large plastic tube) with a fully illustrated dungeon by Dyson Logos. The tube comes with four plastic heroes (whose pictures and descriptions are printed in “card” format in the corners of the play mat), six goblins, four orcs, six skeletons, three ghouls, and one small dragon (maybe a couple of other monsters), a couple of treasure chests, and four oversized d6s. No rules are provided but a small paper insert with the tube has suggestions for how to play games with the mat and figures.

I think this would be great for us to give to our grand kids.


Do you have any ideas, wish lists, speculations (I think we've all seen the 3D terrain that is in the works!) on other future "The Fantasy Trip" Kickstarters you would like to see?
Terquem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

I want to see more toys: Table top gear, like terrain for battle mats, miniatures, etc.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Shadekeep
 
Shadekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Aerlith
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

Nice idea, the “kid’s edition”! Could make a fun gateway into the system.

How about a set of pre-printed laminate stock megahexes with various dungeon terrain on them that you could mix-and-match to build a dungeon on the fly? I'm sure there's already something like that out there, but one tailored for TFT would be extra sweet.
Shadekeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
platimus
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: behind you
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
I have this crazy idea for a Fantasy Trip, “kid’s edition” Kickstarter.

A kid’s sized play mat (like those ones that come in a large plastic tube) with a fully illustrated dungeon by Dyson Logos. The tube comes with four plastic heroes (whose pictures and descriptions are printed in “card” format in the corners of the play mat), six goblins, four orcs, six skeletons, three ghouls, and one small dragon (maybe a couple of other monsters), a couple of treasure chests, and four oversized d6s. No rules are provided but a small paper insert with the tube has suggestions for how to play games with the mat and figures.

I think this would be great for us to give to our grand kids.


Do you have any ideas, wish lists, speculations (I think we've all seen the 3D terrain that is in the works!) on other future "The Fantasy Trip" Kickstarters you would like to see?
I like this. One suggested change: drop the oversized dice. Instead, put one of those 'Sorry' dice bubbles in there somewhere. Put 4 die in it. Two of one color and one each of two additional colors. (I am assuming the oversized dice were desired to avoid 'choking hazards'. The dice bubble avoids this as well but is much more convenient to work with.)
__________________
Miranda Warning: Anything you say can and will be used against you in a forum of rules-lawyers.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

I'm not a big fan of supplements that 'evolve' rules sets because they pretty much always result in a degradation of the experience of the game; that is even more likely to be true for a game as old and heavily playtested as TFT. So, if there are kickstarters for new system supplements, I would want to see them add to rather than modify the core of what is there. Some additions that I think could be particularly worthwhile:

Critters
Spells
My own pet fetish: a Melee-scale sub-system for exploring and traveling across hex maps, to support out door sandbox play
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Buzzardo
 
Buzzardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

I like the "decks" idea. I'd instantly back decks of monsters (including boss monsters), heroes, small dungeons (imagine a card with a small dungeon on it), adventure seeds, and others. Dungeons and adventure seeds aren't specific to TFT (and see Phil Reed's recent Kickstarter projects for dungeon and outdoor adventures), but they'd be great.
__________________
Play Ogre? Want an interactive record sheet?

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Google Plus Profile
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
larsdangly
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

A book along the lines of 'Foes' for RQ. Like 'here's a page of knights; here's a page of shop keepers; here's a page of farmers; here's a page of blood drinking orcs...'
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
philreed
Chief Executive Officer
 
philreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm not a big fan of supplements that 'evolve' rules sets because they pretty much always result in a degradation of the experience of the game; that is even more likely to be true for a game as old and heavily playtested as TFT.
We have no interest in adding more rules to the game.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
madhopper50
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
A book along the lines of 'Foes' for RQ. Like 'here's a page of knights; here's a page of shop keepers; here's a page of farmers; here's a page of blood drinking orcs...'
I like this idea also!!!!!!!!!!!
madhopper50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #10
oldercloud
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default Re: Future Kickstarter Speculation thread

I'd like to see modular hex terrain, maybe. I, too, don't feel the need for more rules.
oldercloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.