Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Gumby Bush

Default Using Spectral Forging with other Magic Systems

In Sorcery, spectral forging allows one to pump more magical energy into an item in the time period if one makes one's roll better. I see where the Sorcerous Enchantment power is modified to be margin-based (although I don't completely grasp why it has the value it does...).

This is unusual, since most enchantment has a hard split between all at once (Quick and Dirty) and 1-point/day (Slow but Sure) enchantment. This seems to be an advantage for Sorcerous enchanters over others, although I think their enchanted objects tend to take more time and energy anyway.

My question is, given that most magical enchantment systems do not rely on an advantage, what would you charge, say, an ordinary Magic enchanter to be able to use margin-based enchantment? It seems a bit much to charge for the Sorcery Power again, since enchantment is built into the system in other ways. The difference between the Sorcery power with and without the margin-basis would be 5 points (25/5 because it is CP powered). Is that fair?

Any other ideas?
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
WingedKagouti

Default Re: Using Spectral Forging with other Magic Systems

The default enchanting system seems like it was primarily designed to ensure it's impractical for PCs to use outside lengthy downtime segments in a campaign. Not for any type of world or game balance purposes.

With that in mind, I'd have nothing against Slow & Sure being a roll every day, with MoS dictating how much energy is put in (failures draining energy, reducing below 0 = failed enchantment). As a campaign feature for every enchanter.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote