Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
Nemesis357

Default APEP Alternative and other gun-food related issues.

For my first question, what do I do with APEP? Some backstory: I am running a mercenary game in a recovering post-apocalyptic TL8+3 society. This blends old world tech from TL7 and TL8 with ETC, Coil-guns, Lasers, Cybernetic, and some total Sci-fi Psionics…you know…for the lolz. Ok so my friend decided he wants a .454 Casull revolver that he can load with things like APEP, APHEX, APDS, HE, etc. While creating a list of damage stats for the gun he brought up a point that APEP says it functions like APDS only better comparing it to APDU. To quote the book:
“Armor-Piercing Enhanced Penetrator (APEP) (TL9) An APDS round with a core made of tungsten-reinforced bulk amorphous metal (at TL9). This provides equivalent or superior performance to depleted uranium without toxic residue. Double range and give a (3) armor divisor to most guns and missiles; this is not available for Gauss and rail guns, which already use similar ammunition. Reduce the class of piercing damage by one step (to a minimum of pi-) unless the gun is 20mm caliber or larger. Unavailable for hand grenades or mines. Ten times normal cost. LC1.”
His argument is that it should get the +1 per die as well as the armor divisor of (3). I looked up the stats for APDU, APDSDU, and APFSDSDU. APFSDSDU gets a damage modifier of x1.7 with an armor divisor of (2). So my question is what is a reasonable/balanced method for this? Do I keep the (3) leave damage alone, add +1 per die and keep damage, treat it as non-toxic APFSDSDU or go even bigger like x1.8 damage add armor divisor of (3), or…what I am leaning towards is adding an armor divisor of (3) but not reducing the pi+ to pi.
My idea behind that is making it TL10 and saying that the smart memory metal inside allows it to tumble when it hits flesh making it do listed piercing damage. That way there is a reason to shell out money for the bullets that offer an advantage over APDS and APFSDSDU.
What do you guys think? Also Douglas Cole, if you are out there, your opinion would be greatly appreciated…. you’ve been a big help in the past.
Nemesis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: APEP Alternative and other gun-food related issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis357 View Post
Ft APEP says it functions like APDS
I want to first warn you about mixing UT and HT. They are not very compatible. So when using an ammo type from UT you should use the UT rules for it and not try and retrofit anything from HT.

This esecially applies to mixing tank ammo and pistol ammo. APFSDSDU that was P+ would need a 10mm wide penetrator with a 10-to-1 aspect ration i.e the priojectile by itself would need to be 100mm long. That's not goign to fit in a .454 Casull cylinder.

I believe that APEP gets the+1 per die, the (3) armor divisor and the P class downgrade. From a full length barrel that's probably 5D+5 P (3). That's what I think the rules say. Change the rules if you want to.

Also note the LC. Such ammo would have to be sourced to someone unconcerned with Legality for one reason or another.Also that a relativley rare mid-TL8 ammo like .454 Casull with no known military users has to be getting this wide variety of potent ammo from some custom prducer. Probably it's one-of-a-kind.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis357 View Post
To quote the book:
“Armor-Piercing Enhanced Penetrator (APEP) (TL9) An APDS round with a core made of tungsten-reinforced bulk amorphous metal (at TL9). This provides equivalent or superior performance to depleted uranium without toxic residue. Double range and give a (3) armor divisor to most guns and missiles; this is not available for Gauss and rail guns, which already use similar ammunition. Reduce the class of piercing damage by one step (to a minimum of pi-) unless the gun is 20mm caliber or larger. Unavailable for hand grenades or mines. Ten times normal cost. LC1.”
So, two things here, I guess:

Had the authors of Ultra-Tech wanted to give APEP +1 per die and a (2) or a (3), they would have.

Ultra-Tech was not terribly systematic in how it approached stuff, and isn't internally self-consistent. It's a bit of a smorgasbord, pick what you want, season to taste.

Quote:
His argument is that it should get the +1 per die as well as the armor divisor of (3). I looked up the stats for APDU, APDSDU, and APFSDSDU. APFSDSDU gets a damage modifier of x1.7 with an armor divisor of (2). So my question is what is a reasonable/balanced method for this? Do I keep the (3) leave damage alone, add +1 per die and keep damage, treat it as non-toxic APFSDSDU or go even bigger like x1.8 damage add armor divisor of (3), or…what I am leaning towards is adding an armor divisor of (3) but not reducing the pi+ to pi.
The APEP is a bit of fictional material at the moment - research into amorphous bulk materials is progressing but at least on a cursory search. There's neither a compelling reason to say "yes," nor is there one to say "no way" other than a game-mechanical reason balancing cost vs capability.

So if he wants uber-penetration and it won't wreck your game, have at it, but charge through the nose. If something's just better than presumably at least in the world of fictional game materials then it will cost accordingly.

Quote:
My idea behind that is making it TL10 and saying that the smart memory metal inside allows it to tumble when it hits flesh making it do listed piercing damage. That way there is a reason to shell out money for the bullets that offer an advantage over APDS and APFSDSDU.
What do you guys think? Also Douglas Cole, if you are out there, your opinion would be greatly appreciated…. you’ve been a big help in the past.
Your point about behind-armor wounding is spot on. Something that's both AP and expanding (sort of an APHP) but even better, so it might do a (3) and either retain the pi level instead of dropping to pi, or even expand to pi+, would certainly be sought after. In terms of realism/techno-handwavium, I'm not sure it matters much so long as you can have it exist in your world. Your TL8+3 recovering post-apoc means that there may well exist some magitech type of projectile that has all the properties you might want.

But EVERYONE will want them. They'll be expensive or hoarded. A box of them might be an adventure in themselves, and one might not even want to shoot them, because it's like burning money.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I want to first warn you about mixing UT and HT. They are not very compatible. So when using an ammo type from UT you should use the UT rules for it and not try and retrofit anything from HT.
more succinctly stating what I was getting at in my "not entirely systematic" point.

Quote:
This esecially applies to mixing tank ammo and pistol ammo. APFSDSDU that was P+ would need a 10mm wide penetrator with a 10-to-1 aspect ration i.e the priojectile by itself would need to be 100mm long. That's not goign to fit in a .454 Casull cylinder.
And note that the M829A1 seems to have aspect ratios on the order of 30, with a projectile diameter on the order of 27mm, fired from a 120mm bore.

To get equivalent scaling, a .454" case would fire a 2.6mm projectile, which would need to be about 75mm long in order to have the same aspect ratio as the big tank cannon. The case of the .454 is 35mm long.

Reducing the aspect ratio to 15:1 would bring it in line with the case length (overall length is 45mm, so it would fit OK).

Quote:
I believe that APEP gets the+1 per die, the (3) armor divisor and the P class downgrade. From a full length barrel that's probably 5D+5 P (3). That's what I think the rules say. Change the rules if you want to.
This is key. If you want the ammo in your game, or think that giving the player such ammunition will increase overall fun (including yours) and not ruin the game, shrug and realize he's telling you how he wants to play. If that's just not fun for you, have a solid conversation about it. If you don't care, or it IS fun for you, or you titter at the notion of so many folks showing up to steal his hoard of uber-APEP ammo . . . booyah.

Quote:
Also note the LC. Such ammo would have to be sourced to someone unconcerned with Legality for one reason or another.Also that a relativley rare mid-TL8 ammo like .454 Casull with no known military users has to be getting this wide variety of potent ammo from some custom prducer. Probably it's one-of-a-kind.
And in a post-apoc setting, "one of a kind when it was in bespoke, limited production" really does mean "rare antique."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Illusion158

Imagine my surprise when stumbling on this thread Nemesis! Lol. I'm the player that brought this up, mostly because the wording in the book (which just mentions apep getting a 3 divisor and being a "superior apds") seems weird. Not going to throw out my opinions on the suggestions (that's the gms call unless he asks what I think) but wanted to clear up some setting confusion since people keep bringing up how rare the shots would be.

The LC doesn't matter AS MUCH as normal due to the nature of the world. Im sure firing bullets that rip through armor or explode would get me in trouble some places, but probably only if I fire them in a town. As for the bullets not being made, civilization is coming back enough for people to be able to make a lot of the lower end UT ammo. Mission to acquire the supplies for it if need be not withstanding. They ARE going to be expensive though. All the tl9 and up stuff is. Lol

But yeah, just wanted to put out some context while the gm is (I think) unable to reply. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Looking forward to seeing what Nemesis decides.
Illusion158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
Nemesis357

Quote:
As a rule of thumb I used HT when UT didn’t mesh, also I did an entire rewrite of the weapons in UT for things like acc, dmg, range, shots, rof, etc. Both for balance and consistency purposes. APEP was just something I wasn’t entirely sure which way to go.
Quote:
Your point about behind-armor wounding is spot on. Something that's both AP and expanding (sort of an APHP) but even better, so it might do a (3) and either retain the pi level instead of dropping to pi, or even expand to pi+, would certainly be sought after. In terms of realism/techno-handwavium, I'm not sure it matters much so long as you can have it exist in your world. Your TL8+3 recovering post-apoc means that there may well exist some magitech type of projectile that has all the properties you might want.

But EVERYONE will want them. They'll be expensive or hoarded. A box of them might be an adventure in themselves, and one might not even want to shoot them, because it's like burning money.
Woohoo Senpai noticed me! And he said I did an adequate job! As far as the whole availability thing goes it will vary. I have a randomizer chart for that and it does depend on the popularity of the firearm during its TL. It most likely won’t be an entire mission to acquire but the price as a specialty round will be up there. The thing is that this world has varying tech level by region. The East and West Coast of the US have rebuilt into a loose collation of city-states ala Greece during the wars with Persia. The middle of the country consists of a very loose network of interconnected towns and settlements called the Trans-Continental Trade Network. (TCTN) So ordering things require material to be transported for the high TL10+1 coast and driven/flown across the country that is experiencing a neo-old west cranked up to Mad Max levels of banditry with some mad scientist sprinkled in…again for the lolz! I mean if the roll goes bad enough, they may get paid by the “Commonwealth Advanced Small Arms Co.” to go to the bandit lords base…situated in an old TL11 military base with some working defenses to retrieve the stolen product sitting in some sort of Scrooge McDuck style vault only with gun-food instead of gold.
Quote:
Imagine my surprise when stumbling on this thread Nemesis! Lol. I'm the player .that brought this up, mostly because the wording in the book (which just mentions apep getting a 3 divisor and being a "superior apds") seems weird. Not going to throw out my opinions on the suggestions (that's the gms call unless he asks what I think) but wanted to clear up some setting confusion since people keep bringing up how rare the shots would be.
Stop spying on me! Your GM does not wish you to seem him when he is prostrating himself in front of either Douglas or Kromm, it ruins the image of my omniscience. Also, it means you’ll know when BAD stuff is coming your way…like missions to go get bullets from TL11 Bandit Lord Citadels…
Either way I am going to go with this idea as turning it into an APHP round having them do listed piercing damage but with an armor divisor of (3).
Nemesis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
Black Leviathan

Not to ask the obvious but who in a post apoc setting is making these micro-scale APEP bullets? Unless there's some high industrial alliance in the world that likes mega-badass Cassul rounds it would me much cheaper to get power armor with twin .50 cal machineguns than one of those bullets.

He's not shooting tank rounds so the effect would be scaled down. I wouldn't expect the difference would be mechanically different than an jacketted round, maybe marginally better range. Even a big Cassul bullet isn't really big enough to make use of APEP.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
The_Ryujin

Ah, so basiclly Fallout with the serial numbers filed off. Cool stuff.

Personally I've rewritten Ultra-Tech's ammunition rules to better line up with High-Tech since the rules in the former were written to line up with the generic rules presented in the Basic set rather then reality.

For APEP I stat them as doing x1.7 base damage, AD(2), drop pi down a step if under 40mm, double range and CF +6. Basically they are as good as APFSDS-DU rounds without the incindery effect and toxic side effects.

This fits reality a bit better: I save the AD(3) for TL 11^ hyper dense penetrators.

Though to be perfectly honest given the level of tech needed to make bulk amorphous tungsten these rounds should be in very, very short supply and could cost twenty times as much or more.

Though this is just my two cents.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firearms, guns, ultra-tech