Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #41
cjbeiting

Default Re: The HORROR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
While I understand and support the sentiment, I also note that voting with dollars is a fairly blunt instrument. If there's no functional difference between the "dollar votes" of "I want this as a color hardcover" and "I don't ever want SJ Games to do another hardcover," it can be hard to make sure the correct message is received and acted on.
Actually, the art decision on this is a bit of a surprise to me.

Ordinarily, I actually prefer black and white illustrations in game books, and haven't really been all that fond of the decision to go with color for the GURPS 4e hardbacks. (Not that it's stopped me from buying them all, of course!)

However, at the same time, I found the black and white renditions of the
of the art done by Christopher Shy in GURPS Horror 3rd edition to be pretty unappealing--until I saw some versions of the originals, which were in color, and _much_ nicer. I was kinda hoping we would see some of these again some day, in their original color beauty, when 4th ed. was announced as being an all-color line. Turns out not to be the case, alas.

On the other hand, does this mean the future hardbacks may go with B&W illustrations? *That's* actually fine with me, particularly if it means that hardbacks might be a little easier (and faster?) to produce.

But in all other respects, the new GURPS Horror is wonderful. I was a big fan of the 3rd edition, and though, "Aww, c'mon. How can it get any better?" But it did. Oh, it did!

Great work all around folks.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #42
zorg
Experimental Subject

I don't care much whether this one reprints Horror Third Ed stuff. My deadtree Horror is Second Ed, and somewhat... dated.

Oh, yes - bought and dl'ed.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #43
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
In the description of Frankenstein, Victor Frankenstein never names his creature. He abandons his creation utterly. It is the creature who says, at one point, "Remember that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed."
A theme echoed later in Chapter 15, after he reads the found copy of Paradise Lost - "Like Adam, I was apparently united by no link to any other being in existence; but his state was far different from mine in every other respect... Many times I considered Satan as the fitter emblem of my condition".
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #44
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbeiting View Post
On the other hand, does this mean the future hardbacks may go with B&W illustrations?
How many future hardbacks are there actually going to be?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #45
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
How many future hardbacks are there actually going to be?
At least one.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #46
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
At least one.
and I hope that Girl Genius features full color interiors!
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #47
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Personally, the thing I'll regret from losing color interiors are the color coded sections. On my basic set, I know that skills are deep blue, advantages light blue, and disadvantages brown. Other than that, I don't mind that much the loss of color interiors...
I like it for the example text and modifiers. Just makes them stand out more for me and also looks a LOT better printed out than shady text.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #48
Whome?

I have OGL Horror - which is a 240 page full color hardbound horror RPG book. Yes, it does look great.

However, your sales have to be at a certain level to warrant this level of expense. Full color hardbounds are very expensive to produce. The breakeven point on black and white .pdfs is much lower.

I know all about voting with dollars, but if the sales are small, black and white .pdfs will still turn a profit.

He's an interesting idea - how about releasing "Best of Pyramid 3" as a hardbound? The cost of production would be small and it would satisfy the Gurps customers who like full color hardbounds.

I myself didn't get into Gurps earlier than I did because the game I was playing at the time had much better artwork than Gurps until Gurps 4e came along.

That game had its artwork done by Larry Elmore and it really showed.
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #49
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
and I hope that Girl Genius features full color interiors!
Word man.

I don't mind black and white interior art, but I agree that color coded chapters are nice.

If I had my druthers we'd have hard-cover color with non-glossy paper.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #50
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post

If I had my druthers we'd have hard-cover color with non-glossy paper.

I doubt it would be worth it for SJ Games, but I would buy the Basic Set over again just to have it on non glossy paper (and perhaps with an edit or two).
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror