Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #41
David Johnston2

Default Re: They should really fix that in GURPS Horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Let me try to reiterate. The suggested penalty ranges from -1 to -10. So hierarchically, if not demographically, 30% of monsters produce a base penalty of -3 or less. Without any other negative modifiers, Will 10 and Will 13 are equal if you gain at least a +3 from Advantages, such as Resistant to Fear (+3) or Fearlessness 3. It seems like having an above average Will would count for something.
Assuming that you have a -1 penalty, the Will 10 character will have a target of 12 or less, while the Will 13 will have a target of 13 or less
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #42
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Assuming that you have a -1 penalty, the Will 10 character will have a target of 12 or less, while the Will 13 will have a target of 13 or less
Ok, that's right. My original example was Will 11, in which case both have a 13 or less.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #43
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
If you're comfortable with a Will 11 character and a Will 14 character, both with Resistant to Fear, having the same Fright Check for seeing a monster, then I guess it isn't a problem. I just happen to believe that slapping Unfazeable around any time this becomes a problem, say, if you want to create Doctor Strange or Blade or somebody, points to the problem being with the system. I can easily believe Doctor Strange is Resistant to Fear, but he's not literally Unfazeable nor does he appear to be in any strict sense immune to fear.
Blade and Doctor Strange seem like good candidates for the Rule of 15 Perk.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #44
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum
Sorry, I missed this post. This is a very good answer! But what about the therapists?
Wouldn't they be the equivalent of Teachers?
Yes, rules for teachers are missing too.
Personally, I use this house rule:
The teacher makes a Teaching roll for each teaching period (a week for a short learning time, or a month for a long learning time). The character get the character points if it is a success. 1.5 times as much with a very good margin of success (5 or plus). Twice as much for a critical success. But only half as much if the teaching roll is failed (the teacher does not help the pupils more than a book). And no point at all in case of critical failure (the teacher unsettles his pupils!). If the study time is very long, it is not necessary to roll the dice: bonuses and penalties cancel out approximately.
But it is not the purpose of an horror campaign. Improving a character through study is not more important in such a genre than in any other one. Fright-checks and how to get rid of accumulated mental disadvantages, though, is very important. As important as wounds and illnesses. There are a lot of rules for wounds. I do understand that, combats are common in all genres. But there also are a a lot of rules for illnesses (both natural recovery and medical care) – 2 pages!

So why isn't there any natural recovery and psychiatric care rules for mental shocks?

After all, injuries and illnesses could also be ruled by using unspent points and the Time Use Sheet... But they are not.

No problem with the Basic Set. But in a horror campaign, fright-checks are much more important than illnesses!
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #45
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
'When injured, pay one character point to recover and heal 1 hp per day for ten days. You can not heal above you max hp. For injury over 10 hp, spend another character point at the end of the healing period.'

...is really no different from:

'When mentally injured through shock spend one character point per point of mental damage, i.e. disadvantages gained through Fright Checks. An appropriate justification is needed, and the GM may decide that even intensive therapy can only remove one point of disadvantages by mental damage per day.'
Basically I think the analogy between physical and mental damage is a good idea, though it is common knowledge that the healing of mental damage takes much more time! (not an 1:1 conversion!)

I am no psychologist, but I am sure that mental damage in the form of e.g. a -10 cp disadvantage definitely needs more than 10 days of (intensive) psychological treatment (even when 1 cp is paid for the healing). Maybe something like 30-60 days would be adequate for this, making this a factor 3x-6x for mental damage in comparison to physical damage.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #46
Mercator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I would also like some fast bleeding rules for NPC... In horror campaigns, there sometimes is a lot of blood. The rules as they are written are fine for PCs. It even adds suspense to the game... But when the GM must make one roll every minute for a NPC (or worse, for several NPCs), it is a bit boring for the players... Of course, the GM can always use a house rule... But an official answer could be interesting...
Gollum,

If you need quick and dirty rules for bleeding, etc, I suggest you check out GURPS Action 2. There are a few words on the subject of dramatically convenient blood loss. And the Action series is otherwise very good for rules-light GURPS games.

Quote:
Thank you very much to ask us.
Thank you all. This is being a very helpful discussion.

M.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #47
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Gollum,
If you need quick and dirty rules for bleeding, etc, I suggest you check out GURPS Action 2. There are a few words on the subject of dramatically convenient blood loss. And the Action series is otherwise very good for rules-light GURPS games.
OK! I didn't know such rules were already published somewhere. I know what supplement I will buy next. Thank you for this hint.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #48
Exeter

I'd like to see a 3-5 page bibliography of sources on monster folklore and monster fiction. I'd settle for a web link, but being able to go back to the original sources would be *extremely* helpful for the campaign I'm running.

A couple of worked examples of monsters would be nice, but I'm supposing that's either already in there or one of the things likely to be cut because Powers already does a lot of that stuff.

If there's significant amounts of stuff that doesn't make it into the final book, it'd be cool if that got released somehow (either via Pyramid or a separate e23 supplement).
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #49
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
A couple of worked examples of monsters would be nice, but I'm supposing that's either already in there or one of the things likely to be cut because Powers already does a lot of that stuff.
Powers certainly doesn't, it is about abilities not creatures. However the Creatures of the Night pdf series is exactly that.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #50
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Powers certainly doesn't, it is about abilities not creatures. However the Creatures of the Night pdf series is exactly that.
The Watchtower, pg 15 of Creatures of the Night 5. Awesome. Awesome and creepy.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps horror, horror, playtest, playtesting