Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #101
tanniynim

Default Re: [Horror] Sketchy Setting & Some Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Schreck View Post
and maybe a .45 automatic that negates Insubstantiality and Supernatural Durability. I haven't decided if that last one is too corny yet.
I think that might be a little too corny. For my horror games, I've always enjoyed powerful items with drawbacks.

A knife that allows *any* weapon also in your possession to negate Insubstantiality and Supernatural Durability, but only as long as that knife stays stuck in you in a painful and damaging way, maybe?

Or crusty, leather gloves that allow you to negate the above in any creature that you hold, allowing the other characters to take shots with normal weapons, but putting you at massive risk?

I'm really liking the feel of the gloves. It also puts highlights a common theme in horror: self-sacrifice.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #102
Max Schreck

Yeah, you're probably right; it did sound a little corny. I'll ditch the forty-five or at least come up with something interesting for it. I think it could be interesting with a firearm with supernatural powers rather than the usual swords, daggers or what have you, though.

Max
Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #103
tanniynim

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right; it did sound a little corny. I'll ditch the forty-five or at least come up with something interesting for it. I think it could be interesting with a firearm with supernatural powers rather than the usual swords, daggers or what have you, though.

Max
Definitely. It certainly follows if you're using a modern or close-to-modern setting.

On second thought, a .45 that allows you to defeat those two advantages doesn't *have* to be corny if it's described correctly. Perhaps the gun itself only partially exists between each "plane." It is neither substantial or insubstantial.
Occasionally, it drips and slides through your hands as you raise it to aim, or falls through the bottom of your enclosed bag, clanging loudly on the floor. The ammunition slowly reforms in the gun, with two rounds spent, as it returns over and over again to the state in which it was first sent to Sodom.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #104
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
How about a .45 that negates Pacifism?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #105
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
*ROFL* Funny concept, but useful in some campaigns.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #106
Max Schreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Does it negate Pacifism in the shooter or the one getting popped? :)

In any case, it is decided now; I have just got to construct a magical M1911 that bestows advantages and disadvantages on the shooter. I know I just said that it would be corny, but now I can't help it. And it will negate Pacifism in the shooter.

Spirit-possessed, ghost-killing, Bloodlust-instilling .45... let's go.

Tags
bestiary, creatures, horror, monsters, templates