Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Modern Drone/UAV Operation Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
Oh, believe me when I say there's a lot more to to repairing planes than just the Mechanic skill.
Well, arguably most of the other things you're doing are either part of or default form mechanic, at least as you're doing them. What GURPS calls a skill isn't exactly the same as what a training system would call a single skill.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
The Colonel

If it helps, I understand that the takeoff and landing of drones is normally done by different people to the in-mission control ... although I think that could be more to do with the delay involved in controlling them from the other side of the planet. The takeoff/landing guy being found at the actual airstrip the drones are using, whereas mission control can be anywhere with a satellite jack.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
CousinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Just what the title says. What set of skills or skills would be used for piloting a Modern Drone/UAV. Would it be different for the small (like the Wasp)? The very large (like a Global Hawk or Sentinel)? What about building them? A subset of Engineer (Electronics) should work I think. Repair skills?

Any information or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ghostdancer
I've been halfheartedly working on an article about drones and drone-riggers, building off of the same foundation as One With The Ship. It's been on back-burner forever, since I haven't played a game where it's come up in a while, so I'm actually kinda hoping someone beats me to the punch.

Anyway, I concur with those who say to use Piloting of the appropriate kind if you're in direct control (Ultralight for most small drones, maybe High-Performance Aircraft for something larger like the Predator) or Electronics Op (I'd probably go with with Surveillance in most cases) if it has on-board flight control. This could be simplified in more cinematic campaigns with a new specialization, Piloting (Drones).

Other systems are controlled essentially as if flying in a cockpit ... Artillery or Gunner for weapons, Electronics Op (Sensors at least, plus any other systems it has).

Repair skills by type: Electronics Repair for sensors, comm (control) systems, etc; Mechanic for the same specialization as Pilot; Armoury for weapon systems, etc.

Design skill could be its own specialization of Engineering (Drones), or more realistically, a combination of Computers, Electronics, Robotics, and the appropriate kind of drive.

Anyway, hope that helps. Drop me a line if you'd like to discuss other ideas ... I'd much rather see a good article soon, than wait for me to come back around to it.

Past projects:
The Fortress of Xie'e Wu Xing, Mythic Japan.
GURPS StarCraft, Alien Bugs vs. Space Marines
CousinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinX View Post
I've been halfheartedly working on an article about drones and drone-riggers, building off of the same foundation as One With The Ship. It's been on back-burner forever, since I haven't played a game where it's come up in a while, so I'm actually kinda hoping someone beats me to the punch.
How about you write it up - I'll use it in a game and we can get that article a-working. :-)

I could even get one of my gunbunny players to write up examples of the drones themselves for it. Maybe aim at TL8 specifically - maybe with some higher TL info?

Quote:
Anyway, I concur with those who say to use Piloting of the appropriate kind if you're in direct control (Ultralight for most small drones, maybe High-Performance Aircraft for something larger like the Predator) or Electronics Op (I'd probably go with with Surveillance in most cases) if it has on-board flight control. This could be simplified in more cinematic campaigns with a new specialization, Piloting (Drones).
Hmmmm. I like that.

Quote:
Other systems are controlled essentially as if flying in a cockpit ... Artillery or Gunner for weapons, Electronics Op (Sensors at least, plus any other systems it has).
Ugh. I totally forgot about weapon skills - that would have sucked for the player and been a totally uncool moment in game. My eyes somehow glazed past theothersarah's post for some reason. >_<

Quote:
Repair skills by type: Electronics Repair for sensors, comm (control) systems, etc; Mechanic for the same specialization as Pilot; Armoury for weapon systems, etc.
This is useful. Thank you.

Quote:
Design skill could be its own specialization of Engineering (Drones), or more realistically, a combination of Computers, Electronics, Robotics, and the appropriate kind of drive.
I was thinking of using Engineer (Vehicle Type).

Quote:
Anyway, hope that helps. Drop me a line if you'd like to discuss other ideas ... I'd much rather see a good article soon, than wait for me to come back around to it.
You know, I'd love to add you to my cadre of authors in my Pyramid Mentoring Group. You've got a lot to offer to new writers IMHO.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
CousinX

Quote:
How about you write it up - I'll use it in a game and we can get that article a-working. :-)

I could even get one of my gunbunny players to write up examples of the drones themselves for it. Maybe aim at TL8 specifically - maybe with some higher TL info?
Hmm... let me look at what I've got, and see how much there is left to do. It seems like I had a good outline together, but I was dragging my feet on statting up some sample drones.

Quote:
I was thinking of using Engineer (Vehicle Type).
That could work too ... in fact, that's probably more appropriate (and certainly more compact) than (Electronics + Robotics + Drive type) in most cases, and (Computer) is only needed if you're designing the control software.

Quote:
You know, I'd love to add you to my cadre of authors in my Pyramid Mentoring Group. You've got a lot to offer to new writers IMHO.
Yeah? *blush* ... thanks! I'd be happy to contribute whatever I can.

Probably my biggest challenge is that I'm moody and unreliable as a writer. I detest deadlines, but without them, I procrastinate indefinitely until something triggers a Manic Phase ... and then I get a bunch of work done, forgoing food, sleep, and social graces, until I burn out and crash. During that cycle, I start out (in the word of one Mr. Marsh) positively "spritely," but that's gradually replaced by growing irrationality and irritability.

All by way of saying that my process might not work for everyone. :)

Past projects:
The Fortress of Xie'e Wu Xing, Mythic Japan.
GURPS StarCraft, Alien Bugs vs. Space Marines
CousinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hmm... let me look at what I've got, and see how much there is left to do. It seems like I had a good outline together, but I was dragging my feet on statting up some sample drones.
You know, I'm pretty good at helping people meet deadlines.

Quote:
That could work too ... in fact, that's probably more appropriate (and certainly more compact) than (Electronics + Robotics + Drive type) in most cases, and (Computer) is only needed if you're designing the control software.
And it makes as much sense as anything else for that skill.

Quote:
Yeah? *blush* ... thanks! I'd be happy to contribute whatever I can.
Yes. You would. I'll send you a PM right now.

Quote:
Probably my biggest challenge is that I'm moody and unreliable as a writer. I detest deadlines, but without them, I procrastinate indefinitely until something triggers a Manic Phase ... and then I get a bunch of work done, forgoing food, sleep, and social graces, until I burn out and crash. During that cycle, I start out (in the word of one Mr. Marsh) positively "spritely," but that's gradually replaced by growing irrationality and irritability.
I actually know a bit of something about this - I even have a few techniques which might help.

Quote:
All by way of saying that my process might not work for everyone. :)
LOL. And yet, you'd be quite helpful.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
nick012000

Quote:
You want to talk to me about it, send me a PM. I might just be an apprentice aircraft maintenance engineer, but I still know a lot more about it than you could find out looking it up on the Internet or reading some books. At the very least, I'd be able to help you come up with an AME occupational template.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drone, skills, uav