Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #21
Yeknom

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip Online Virtual Tabletop

Given the current Social Distancing in most parts of the world has there been any further development on this?
Yeknom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:41 AM   #22
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeknom View Post
Given the current Social Distancing in most parts of the world has there been any further development on this?
The official Melee set is on Tabletop Simulator:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...48&searchtext=
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #23
Yeknom

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The official Melee set is on Tabletop Simulator:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...48&searchtext=

Thanks! I'll look into that.
Yeknom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #24
guymc

I’ve been talking to the people creating the MoldyCave Virtual Game Table now running on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ual-game-table

As a result, they’re adding hex grid support to the project, and have promised a YouTube video of a prototype in a few days.

The system is totally browser-based, and will support touchscreens, so it could be run on iPads and Android tablets as well as laptops and desktops — basically anything that runs a browser.

Also, it is FREE for basic player/GM functions. No buying software packages for all players is necessary for basic play.

It looks really promising, but they need more support and more people than me in there making suggestions. How about popping over to their Kickstarter and, if you like what you see, make some suggestions and back them up with a little cash.

I have *no* stake in this except I’d like to see an inexpensive and easy-to-use platform for playing TFT virtually online, by the way. I’d love to see it work out, however.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #25
RobW

Guy,
I followed your link, and read your comments on KS re what you are looking for in a VTT. I have zero stake in roll20 except as a (free!) satisfied customer, but I want to point out it meets many of your requirements in a system that is working and available right now. Look, here we are playing Curse of Katiki-Mu!!

1. roll20 is free, for the players and the GM.
2. roll20 is browser-based and cross-platform (although doesn't seem to work on my ipad)
3. roll20 has fantastic support for hex-grids.
  • Figures snap to the middle of hexes, hex facing is easy to change and snaps.
  • You can easily indicate the exact path of hexes your figure will take. Useful in complex battles
  • Line of sight tool (I suppose that's not hex-specific, but we use it all the time)
4. it can handle multi-hex figures. You use the alt key to move, rotate, and resize

There is also loads of support for RPG mechanics of all sorts, it's very popular for that reason.

What roll20 surprisingly doesn't have is any support from SJGames, for GURPS or TFT. For many other games there are official character sheets. It seems like roll20 might be very happy to work with SJGames to organically develop this simple form of support? From there, who knows....? :)

Last edited by RobW; 05-18-2020 at 02:29 PM.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #26
guymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
2. roll20 is browser-based and cross-platform (although doesn't seem to work on my ipad)
I’ve not looked at Roll20 for awhile, so I reactivated my free account and looked around briefly. No, the controls are strictly keyboard-based, which limits their utility on an iPad (unless you attach a keyboard, of course — but that eliminates much of the reason you’d want to use an iPad over a laptop). It might not be a non-starter for others, but it is for me, personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
What roll20 surprisingly doesn't have is any support from SJGames, for GURPS or TFT. For many other games there are official character sheets. It seems like roll20 might be very happy to work with SJGames to organically develop this simple form of support? From there, who knows....? :)
I’m freelance, not an SJGames employee and don’t speak for them. Just from my own point of view and my limited understanding of how Roll20 works, I’d want to consider the support burden of dealing with ”official” material on a 3rd party platform I didn’t control. When something like a character sheet isn’t working, who is responsible for fixing it? I’m no expert (and IANAL), but I’d want to understand where the lines get drawn in regard to IMPLEMENTATION of rules on a third-party platform (like a character sheet that calculates secondary values based on rules), reproduction of LISTS such as monster stats, weapons tables, etc., and outright PUBLICATION of sections of rules and copyrighted material.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #27
BobP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
I’m no expert (and IANAL), but I’d want to understand where the lines get drawn in regard to IMPLEMENTATION of rules on a third-party platform (like a character sheet that calculates secondary values based on rules), reproduction of LISTS such as monster stats, weapons tables, etc., and outright PUBLICATION of sections of rules and copyrighted material.
Let alone the art assets. That may be less an issue with Melee out in the worlds for free, but the storage and distribution policies are what have kept me offline. (The Tabletop Simulator build is amazing, but the program is not free)
BobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #28
Scott Wolfgang Alex

Steam has the Tabletop Simulator for about $20.

There's a free The Fantasy Trip mod for it also on Steam. I've been using it to run a campaign on Zoom.

There are a series of Tutorials on YouTube using this program starting with

https://youtu.be/Ma132h7cevo
Scott Wolfgang Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #29
PBarone714

Roll20 supports regular hexes, not megahexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinK View Post
I thought it would be so easy.

Then I discovered how few support hex grid.

None support megahexes, of course.

Have you found a VTT you actually like?

I'm currently experimenting with Roll20 -- https://roll20.net/

and Open Source Game Table -- http://gametableproj.sourceforge.net/

because both are free or have free demo versions.
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #30
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarone714 View Post
Roll20 supports regular hexes, not megahexes.
I just posted an image of a map with megahexes that you can overlay on the Roll20 hex map. Takes a bit of fiddling to get the scale factor right (I set the dimensions to 3246x2905 to get a pretty good fit, may be a pixel or so off at the edges).

See this thread.

I've set up two adventures on Roll20 by drawing maps using Gimp and uploading them to Roll20. I haven't played either of them yet. I appreciate this thread, by the way, for pointing me in that direction. I was already using Gimp to draw maps for use with SJG's Megahexes, but this gives me the option of remote play.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote