Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: liber Castelorium I HAVE IT!!!

When an angel becomes a seneschal, he is accepting the responsibility of protecting the Tether. If the Tether dies, so does the seneschal - and the angel knew that before accepting the responsibility.

"I will carry out my duty, at all costs" is a world view that Laurence seems to prefer. If a seneschal chooses that world view, Laurence isn't about to gainsay him. So it isn't sentimentality; it's adherence to the rules set forth by one's Superior.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
When an angel becomes a seneschal, he is accepting the responsibility of protecting the Tether. If the Tether dies, so does the seneschal - and the angel knew that before accepting the responsibility.

"I will carry out my duty, at all costs" is a world view that Laurence seems to prefer. If a seneschal chooses that world view, Laurence isn't about to gainsay him. So it isn't sentimentality; it's adherence to the rules set forth by one's Superior.
Yes. This is the captain going down with his ship, or the colonial general holding his post even as the Zulus storm the hill. Perfectly in line with The Sword.

The ones more likely to be concerned would be Novalis and Zadkiel. In fact, if I recall Superiors: Zadkiel, I don't think the Archangel of Protection lets her seneschals bind themselves that tightly.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #13
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
antoher Question!

Think Archangels from the War Party, especialy laurence who wants absolute obedience, would accept the decision of a seneschal of a dieing Tether, if it was through no real faut of his, simply the event behind it finally dieing from peoples memories, if he refused to be separated from his word, but wished to remain here and to die with it.

As its easy to argue its foolish sentimentality.

Something Dominic in particular tends to look down on.

Thoughts?
There in fact is just such an angel in canon, the Old Guy in Austin in the Revelations Cycle, who is the Seneschal of the Treaty Oak. This living Tether has maybe a few more decades at most, and apparently intends to go with it. He's even an angel of the Sword, so Laurence's stance is clear.

That said... it's a waste of a good angel. My recommendation for such situations is that Word-Binding to Tethers is extremely rare, and that a Word-Bound Seneschal who did his job well is assumed to be in line for Word-promotion to something that includes the concept that formed his Tether. That way the angel remains in touch with the idea that was part of them. For example, the Old Guy, Seneschal of the Treaty Oak, might be in line for promotion to becoming the Angel of Treaties, or perhaps the Angel of Council Chambers.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
There in fact is just such an angel in canon, the Old Guy in Austin in the Revelations Cycle, who is the Seneschal of the Treaty Oak. This living Tether has maybe a few more decades at most, and apparently intends to go with it. He's even an angel of the Sword, so Laurence's stance is clear.

That said... it's a waste of a good angel. My recommendation for such situations is that Word-Binding to Tethers is extremely rare, and that a Word-Bound Seneschal who did his job well is assumed to be in line for Word-promotion to something that includes the concept that formed his Tether. That way the angel remains in touch with the idea that was part of them. For example, the Old Guy, Seneschal of the Treaty Oak, might be in line for promotion to becoming the Angel of Treaties, or perhaps the Angel of Council Chambers.
I have a similar stance, but I wanted the Old Guy to remain a tragic figure in my game. He made it clear to the PCs that the Angel of Treaties is already serving Michael, the Angel of Oaks is already serving Novalis, and he just doesn't know how to deviate any further from his Word than that.

And then the PCs accidentally set his tree on fire.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tethers