Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default liber Castelorium I HAVE IT!!!

BWA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAH

I now own the book of tethers.

am looking through it its quite thick with ideas...

first question is how would an outcast or renegade get access to a tether, for purposes of removing dissonance.

didnt see anything on that listed.

second..

It says its possible for a tether to belong in some cases to multiple superiors including ones on opposite sides.

I find it difficult to imagine such a paradoxical tether surviving unless its something EXTREMELY cordial like say Either Marc, or Eli, and Lilith.

Last edited by PenitentDemon; 08-11-2011 at 12:13 AM.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: liber Castelorium I HAVE IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
second..

It says its possible for a tether to belong in some cases to multiple superiors including ones on opposite sides.

I find it difficult to imagine such a paradoxical tether surviving unless its something EXTREMELY cordial like say Either Marc, or Eli, and Lilith.
Forked Tethers, as they're called, are a *weird* case and often the source of a long-term fight. In one campaign that I've played in, the state Capitol building was forked between Judgment and The Game, with the balance between the two still in flux.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Phoenix42

Quote:
first question is how would an outcast or renegade get access to a tether, for purposes of removing dissonance.
Well, in general, I would say they wouldn't. Being outcast or renegade is tough, not being able to work off dissonance is one of the many reasons why. Unless you're an Elohite who can meditate off his/her own dissonance, you're pretty much screwed - or discordant.
Of course, one could imagine scenarios where an outcast angel would be allowed access to a tether by a demon seneshal who is trying to get him to join the dark side - or vice versa.
I find it unlikely that an angelic tether would allow an outcast angel to stay there for a whole week; but an infernal tether of another (hostile) Prince might offer a demon a stay, as part of a head hunting project...
Nevertheless, any such stay for an outcast or renegade would likely be subject to hard bargaining - and if it was for free, it would be safe to assume darker motives at work.
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42 View Post
Well, in general, I would say they wouldn't. Being outcast or renegade is tough, not being able to work off dissonance is one of the many reasons why. Unless you're an Elohite who can meditate off his/her own dissonance, you're pretty much screwed - or discordant.
Of course, one could imagine scenarios where an outcast angel would be allowed access to a tether by a demon seneshal who is trying to get him to join the dark side - or vice versa.
I find it unlikely that an angelic tether would allow an outcast angel to stay there for a whole week; but an infernal tether of another (hostile) Prince might offer a demon a stay, as part of a head hunting project...
Nevertheless, any such stay for an outcast or renegade would likely be subject to hard bargaining - and if it was for free, it would be safe to assume darker motives at work.
I think it might depend on the Tether and its Seneschal, though. Fraternizing with Outcasts is bad, but letting them Fall is worse. I could imagine some off-the-front-lines Destiny Tethers specializing in trying to bring Outcasts back into the fold by putting them to work shelving library books, away from other celestials. They'd be welcome to work off their dissonance as long as they're willing to meet regularly with the Seneschal for "counseling sessions." It would only get awkward when other angels decide they need to use the out-of-the-way Tether as a base for something, and realize they're not the only celestials there...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
PenitentDemon

ouch That would make things awkward if a triad arrived wanting to pick up the outcaste, as I doubt Dominic wants political incidents.

Though I think they'd probaly politely ask if their seraphim could at least speak to him then if hes planning on trying to remove his dissonance, I doubt they'd have objections.

as assaulting a divine tether isnt good relations.

demons of course wont have that problem... only valefors servitors will even imagine protecting a renegade from the game, in most cases, and they only because they enjoy the thrill of making asmoesdoeses life miserable
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Rocket Man

Quote:
demons of course wont have that problem... only valefors servitors will even imagine protecting a renegade from the game, in most cases, and they only because they enjoy the thrill of making asmoesdoeses life miserable
Depends on the Renegade. There aren't many in Hell who like The Game, after all. If a demon stands to gain some personal advantage from the runaway and isn't likely to get caught at it, they may well keep their new guest under wraps for a while.

Of course, if that advantage ever runs out, or the situation gets too dangerous, or it becomes more profitable to work with Azzy's boys and girls ... well, then the Renegade gets sold out to the secret police. Such is life for a demon on the run.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I think it might depend on the Tether and its Seneschal, though. Fraternizing with Outcasts is bad, but letting them Fall is worse. I could imagine some off-the-front-lines Destiny Tethers specializing in trying to bring Outcasts back into the fold by putting them to work shelving library books, away from other celestials. They'd be welcome to work off their dissonance as long as they're willing to meet regularly with the Seneschal for "counseling sessions." It would only get awkward when other angels decide they need to use the out-of-the-way Tether as a base for something, and realize they're not the only celestials there...
I could see a Flowers Tether attempting the same thing, trying to bring the celestial back into harmony with the rest of Heaven. For that matter, I can see a few Novalites sheltering the occasional Renegade without telling anyone, in hopes that showing the kinder side of Heaven will break through the demon's hard shell ...

Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
PenitentDemon

oh another idea...

anything tethers of Valefor, Andrephelous, Fleurity, or furfur can do when they have Tethers in demonstratable dens of iniquity, and Dominic calls in some of his contacts in the local police department.

Even if the demons themselves manage to escape, if the gang, whos robberies and grafiti had created a tether to Valefor, is destroyed the tether will collapse in short order.

Worse, I dont see Asmoesdoes stalling such efforts that much...

thoughts?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
ISNorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Forked Tethers, as they're called, are a *weird* case and often the source of a long-term fight. In one campaign that I've played in, the state Capitol building was forked between Judgment and The Game, with the balance between the two still in flux.
In my own Swedish-based campaign, I could easily see Tether disputes developing between Laurence and the Norse pantheon--as pagan sites that Heaven considered "shut down" gain new attention from modern followers. Would that be considered Forking if Asgard gets enough attention to draw Essence from the revived site, but the nearby church still links to Laurence? (If that fits the rule, I can see a militant angel and an ethereal/Gray Celestial at each other's throats to determine who the real Seneschal should be!)
Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
PenitentDemon

antoher Question!

Think Archangels from the War Party, especialy laurence who wants absolute obedience, would accept the decision of a seneschal of a dieing Tether, if it was through no real faut of his, simply the event behind it finally dieing from peoples memories, if he refused to be separated from his word, but wished to remain here and to die with it.

As its easy to argue its foolish sentimentality.

Something Dominic in particular tends to look down on.

Thoughts?

Tags
tethers