Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default "Public" Tethers.

an interesting note, is that In nomine Tethers, unlike owod Caerns, and freeholds, are not infrequently, relatively public places.

One question this raises, is how to protect or attack them. Mortal authoritys, will likely get involved, in a attack on a Courthouse, Shopping Mall, or Library.

And Angels are EXTREMELY SQUEEMISH on Collateral damage. Even Demons will think Twice about sending a "broadcast" throughout most of a state saying "CELESTIALS

KILLED

LOTS

OF

PEOPLE"

Thoughts?

Im sure this probaly IS discussed in the book of tethers to a degree I dont own it yet.

I think, Armed guards, could raise some eyebrows, especialy around say Schools, Churches, shopping malls. (A prison, or court room can probaly justify it better)

Oh, is it safe to assume that "defiling a church"(Khalid... maybe laurence) "Corrupting a courtroom"(dominic) or a series of Social worker investigations into a prisons abuse of Inmates (Asmoesdoes) Will also damage or destroy a Tether?
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: "Public" Tethers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post

Oh, is it safe to assume that "defiling a church"(Khalid... maybe laurence) "Corrupting a courtroom"(dominic) or a series of Social worker investigations into a prisons abuse of Inmates (Asmoesdoes) Will also damage or destroy a Tether?
It's reasonable to assume that, yes. In large part, it appears to be human perception that creates a Tether, so altering that perception can affect the Tether's power. A campaign that I co-GM has a Protection Tether (a YWCA women's shelter) that's currently under siege because increased violence in the neighborhood and thefts/fights/incidents in the shelter itself are decreasing the sense of safety in the area.

It's usually not as simple as "Spill blood on the church altar." But a steady campaign can do a lot.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
PenitentDemon

Ideas on how to protect Tethers located in Schools, Shopping Malls, and such?

as once known, their going to be BEGGING to have People from the other side snooping around.

You can control where students wander in a school, at least, And a courtroom, only so many people are allowed in, but a shopping Mall, or public library, any "Restricted areas, will likely, be noted very quickly.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
darksaba

How to protect your tether from frontal assault? Simple - Celestial in innocuous vessels. That little old lady who works stacking shelves at the public libary, shes actually a malalkite war machine who can toss cars arround with ease. That frail old junkie who spends most of his time passed out on the floor of the crack house - actually a dijnn assassin.
Also blowing up buildings causes a lot of symphonc disturbance - which nobody likes.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #5
Azel

It does leave me feeling like a car salesperson to promote another IN product, but Liber Castellorum is really a very good product. The content is more prose than mechanics, however so much of what you are thinking about is expanded upon to a great extent (the chapter on Tether Defenses alone is literally 10 pages of plain text). They definitely go into the breakdown of how well fortified (and serious) a tether is. It does take more than a cursory read, but once digested fully the import -- and potency -- of a tether cements deeply.

So many of your questions, such as tether size, special properties, usual defenses, contextual background strategies, political import, etc. are far better answered in the book than I can begin to fit in one post. But let's rework your question so that we can try. Much of the defense information breaks down into "Know Your Context" (or to misuse a real estate adage, "Location, Location, Location").

Let's use examples for a small, medium, and large tether and we can brainstorm how they could be defended in public areas. I'll go first for a small tether example and let you choose later the location, Superior, etc. for the next example tether in size:

Since I do take inspiration from reality, I'll use an incident I remember and is relatively local to me. Disclaimer -- the details of the incident that created this example tether are horrible, perhaps too intense for some, and are here for illustrative purposes only. There is no intended cruelty to the unfortunate victims involved. Here is a website with event details.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites...Mall_Crash.htm

Sun Valley Mall Christmas Plane Crash Tether
Superior: Kobal (he's very not nice)
Forces: 2 (weak) Capacity: 10 forces
Flow: very low, 1 essence per 2 hours (mercifully local memories fade)
Locus: Pretty large, Half of Macy's and a good part of the nearby interior of the mall. Covers from Macy's interior escalator into the mall's escalator.
Seneschal: Attuned gremlin. (it's Kobal)
Features: + none; - Restricted to servants of Kobal

This is a very public space, which follows your questioning. How would a lowly gremlin Seneschal guard such a place? Where would Kobal's servants ascend or descend? How does it retain utility?

Well, one obvious answer is defense by obscurity. Outta sight, outta mind -- and vice versa. The tether could well be forgotten outright. Or could be so small and pathetic it is ignored. As long as it attracts little attention, it could very well hide in plain sight. Further, it's in a mall -- aggression could be too risky in collateral damage and mundane exposure for such a small payoff.

The seneschal might recommend going up or down (discreetly) in the changing rooms, photo booths, or (indiscreetly) in that "Experience a Hurricane!" vending machine (so very Kobal). Seneschal might find it more productive to possess the potted plants inside when the mall closes. It may lay low to find new victims for fellow servitors, and then collect favors for later...

I am sure the community can dream up more ideas how this tether functions.

Last edited by Azel; 12-13-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azel View Post

Let's use examples for a small, medium, and large tether and we can brainstorm how they could be defended in public areas. I'll go first for a small tether example and let you choose later the location, Superior, etc. for the next example tether in size:

Since I do take inspiration from reality, I'll use an incident I remember and is relatively local to me. Disclaimer -- the details of the incident that created this example tether are horrible, perhaps too intense for some, and are here for illustrative purposes only. There is no intended cruelty to the unfortunate victims involved. Here is a website with event details.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites...Mall_Crash.htm

Sun Valley Mall Christmas Plane Crash Tether
Superior: Kobal (he's very not nice)
Forces: 2 (weak) Capacity: 10 forces
Flow: very low, 1 essence per 2 hours (mercifully local memories fade)
Locus: Pretty large, Half of Macy's and a good part of the nearby interior of the mall. Covers from Macy's interior escalator into the mall's escalator.
Seneschal: Attuned gremlin. (it's Kobal)
Features: + none; - Restricted to servants of Kobal

This is a very public space, which follows your questioning. How would a lowly gremlin Seneschal guard such a place? Where would Kobal's servants ascend or descend? How does it retain utility?

Well, one obvious answer is defense by obscurity. Outta sight, outta mind -- and vice versa. The tether could well be forgotten outright. Or could be so small and pathetic it is ignored. As long as it attracts little attention, it could very well hide in plain sight. Further, it's in a mall -- aggression could be too risky in collateral damage and mundane exposure for such a small payoff.

The seneschal might recommend going up or down (discreetly) in the changing rooms, photo booths, or (indiscreetly) in that "Experience a Hurricane!" vending machine (so very Kobal). Seneschal might find it more productive to possess the potted plants inside when the mall closes. It may lay low to find new victims for fellow servitors, and then collect favors for later...

I am sure the community can dream up more ideas how this tether functions.
As a side note I would have given it to David not Kobal since it sounds like the community did a remarkable job of pulling together after the tragedy.

going up or down could be anywhere that people wouldn't notice in an emergency. Just walk down a hall and make sure no one is looking. Perhaps even set up a store that the merchandise is such crap that most people will never come more than once to the store to allow demonic planning and travel in a back room.

As for defenses with a tether like this your strongest assault is going to be changing the perception of the location. You're fight should be a pr fight not a physical fight in my opinion.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
JCD

Hmm. I put a tether to Factions in the Ohio Statehouse (there was a bitter fight about where the capital of Ohio would be, with Thomas Jefferson picking a town of a political supporter and other choosing other places. The fight over how the building itself would be designed got pretty pungent)

Now, how does an angelic force attack a place like that? It's crawling with mortal and immortal guards in uniform. There are important people who may be offended. With influence on the current crop of pols, it would take several sea changes of elections to clean out the worst of the back biting pols (and most of THEM are perfectly vanilla humans).

The downside is, it's open for business to the public, so the demons need to be lowkey. Angels MIGHT be walking the halls (but if discovered, not for long).

Most of the demons in charge are the guys who work behind the scenes; the David Axelrods of Hell. If your guy loses an election, you are put on the staff of someone else...or get a blue ribbon commission or...Murdering such fellows outright is not advisable since the authorities would come down heavy on suspicious deaths.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
PenitentDemon

Hmmn lets say a shared Tether of the princes of Shal mari (it says EXPLICITLY they have such tethers in Heaven and hell)

Located, where of where of all Places say a shopping mall in a major city, a place where conspicuous consumption happens regularly.

This may actualy be fairly defensible as the demons just arrange for a few of themselves to get Roles, as Mall Security.

but angels WILL come in as customers and look the place over.

Another idea, is a School, which could be a tether for a variety, of superiors, especialy archangels (though demonic tethers in such a location, especialy in 1st world countries will likely be transitiory things.)

But for a Specific example lets say a Tether of Dominic, a moderately powerful one, say its managed to help defuse some gang related issues, that had been threatening to tear a town apart. (

People other then students, and employees arent allowed on the premises, And the school can probaly manage to control student movement. without seeming TOO out of the ordinary.

when I was going to school, at least, we often times had 2 or 3 Policemen to be on hand "just in case" problems happened, and to do occasional seminars, I'd not be suprised if that makes a good role, for a Celestial (lets him keep a pistol on hand)
Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
Azel

I think it is key to tailor your tether resources, defenses, etc. to the location and the Superior (and his allies). This helps so that ideas almost write themselves. Also, it gives game world flavor while saving GM's time.

Like, Haagenti could offer support by sponsoring a Cinnabon within the Sun Valley Mall locus. Maybe even provides a heavy for support near Kobal's tether, in return getting more public access. Christmas works well for gluttonous buying, and frosting-covered sticky buns the size of a grapefruit makes his dark lordship smile. Perhaps, with enough consumption, there might even be a tether migration Dark Humor to Gluttony...

The seneschal could start pulling favors at the nearby Cinnabon to cause mischief. Perhaps cause 2nd degree crotch burns from molten frosting accidents. Maybe the frosting storage area is a great place to hide semi-solid state nitroglycerin. Or even a business partnership with Haagenti is a way to procure more money for more resources. Plot hooks about deliveries and cost overruns start to write themselves ("Where do we put all these unsold megabuns the size of a baby's head!"). Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Like most artistic works, there's no real right or wrong answer here. But first you should have an idea what you want to make. Because once you have that -- and a good grasp of game mechanics, aesthetics, and canon -- you can build upon your creation yourself.
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
JCD

Public tethers can rarely be fixed in a gross fashion for the reasons you mention.

To use your mall example, there are all those innocent bystanders to start. Generally, the best way is to try to change the World View the public has.

For example, an angel might decide that there needs to be a serious case of food poisoning to derail Haagenti and/or some massive cases of credit card fraud. Suddenly people are careful inside the mall. Belial might have a sporting goods store's propane tanks light off, taking out most of the place in a fire (as occured in Moorestown mall about 20 years ago).

Mind you, while Gabriel, David, Dominic etc would support such actions, Marc might oppose it! Things are not always easy in Celestial politics.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tethers