Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Secret or Obvious Tethers

Are there temporal tethers that only exist at certain times?

Say only at full moon?

What if only a few know when it appears?

Of course if you want to keep a secret, just tell it to an angel or demon because there's no chance they'll ever work for the other side...
Old 02-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post

Say only at full moon?

What if only a few know when it appears?
Not impossible. After all, Janus has a Tether wherever the strongest wind on Earth is currently blowing, so there's no reason that other sorts of transient Tethers would be out of line.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Of course if you want to keep a secret, just tell it to an angel or demon because there's no chance they'll ever work for the other side...
Unless they switch sides, correct me if I'm wrong
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Unless they switch sides, correct me if I'm wrong

Oh hcobb, I trust you're being ironic.

An angel tells it to a Soldier, who mentions someplace special to a significant other, who owes the local Lilim...
Never underestimate the Devil's Radio. Loose lips sink ships.

That said I use all three types of tethers in my campaign. Michael's "I dare you to even try to take it" tether in the Mojave--canonical. Eli's soul food restaurant in Watts (off-canon and secret) set up to replace the lost one at the Watts towers, and Marc's ice cream truck (rumored, true as it turns out).
Old 02-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Elberon

I like a mix of the two, though the larger the tether the harder to hide (or the more prominent the superior), I have a tether to War, everyone knows about because it sits on top of a rocky outcrop and has along history of holding out against invading enemies and being a sanctuary in times of crop failure and the like.
What people don't know about is the cave underneath it where human sacrifices (tm) took place before the arrival of the missionaries and the resulting Death tether, yes can you believe but subtle Death operatives working under the nose of the Sword.
Also in my home town there is a cafe that is used to sell drugs, it is constantly being raided people arrested but within a month or two its back up and running (and is also a small tether to Drugs) but it presently can't be used much due to the constant police surviellence - 'hey Joe, go back over the photos, did that guy go into the cafe' but could be used as part of a larger strike..
Chris
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
thorr-kan

Quote:
There's an Ethereal temple/tether that does this. It's in the Liber Stuff book, I think.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
ISNorden

One example of a very fleeting temporal Tether to the Marches: natural rainbows are supposed to connect to Asgard. Nothing in the stories implies that the earthly end of the rainbow has to be in a specific location...but for playability's sake, I might rule that the Tether forms only in areas where the Æsir have had a strong following, past or present. Otherwise, the potential for conflicting Tether formation is too strong...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #18
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
One example of a very fleeting temporal Tether to the Marches: natural rainbows are supposed to connect to Asgard. Nothing in the stories implies that the earthly end of the rainbow has to be in a specific location...but for playability's sake, I might rule that the Tether forms only in areas where the Æsir have had a strong following, past or present. Otherwise, the potential for conflicting Tether formation is too strong...
Not bad. Do they have to share the Essence with the leprechans?
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
Methariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Not bad. Do they have to share the Essence with the leprechans?
And I think that with rainbows, Janus or Novalis might be contenders for Essence, too. Personally, I'd go with Novalis, since there are strong "Peace and Happiness"-vibes connected with rainbows.
(Hmmm, had ancient rainbows been shared Tethers of Oannes (the Waters) and Lucifer (Light)...?)

M.

Last edited by Methariel; 02-18-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Stating preferred Superior
Methariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel View Post
And I think that with rainbows, Janus or Novalis might be contenders for Essence, too. Personally, I'd go with Novalis, since there are strong "Peace and Happiness"-vibes connected with rainbows.
(Hmmm, had ancient rainbows been shared Tethers of Oannes (the Waters) and Lucifer (Light)...?)

M.
I might note, though, that to Jewish/Christian believers, the rainbow is the sign of a promise, which brings up either Marc (a bargain kept), Dominic (a sign that God's judgment can still uphold the just) or even Zadkiel (a sign that God will protect his own).

Curiously, Hindu lore ties the rainbow to the God of Lightning and the God of Love. Given Hindu's semi-divine status in IN canon, Novalis and Jean may have their best crack at a rainbow Tether in India.

That said, I think ISNorden has a point -- I think one of the few groups that would consistently turn *all* rainbows into a Tether are the Aesir-worshippers ... and even then, only in areas where they dominate (not many). Particular associations like the ones we've all mentioned above may well grab a "Stairway to Heaven" from time to time, but only where belief is pretty grounded. (Greco-Roman believers might do the same, but I suspect there aren't enough of those in any one place for a critical mass.)

EDIT: And of course, let's not forget Nybbas's corrupting influence. When people look at a rainbow and think only of a movie soundtrack (even ones as wonderfuly as The Wizard of Oz or The Muppet Movie), the likelihood of it becoming a divine or ethereal bridge would seem to be weakened.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 02-18-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tethers