Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default Glamour on Alternate Forms

The title says it all. I'm wondering about applying the Glamour modifier to the Alternate Form advantage.

An Example from mythology would be the Kitsune Myths from Japan: Kitsune would have the fox racial template to begin with but they can often take the shape of people. They use this to try to blend with human society out of a desire to be human. They can mate with humans while in human form, even bearing viable children, indicating that their actual racial template changes (not just the Illusion advantage). But their ability to turn into a human is an illusion and is imperfect: perceptive people will often see through the illusion, recognizing the Kitsune as a fox. That's the point where the fox usually gets killed or runs away.

So it seems like this is the Alternate Form advantage with the Glamour modifier. But that creates some interesting and confusing questions relating to what exactly happens when you have multiple different people looking at the person with that advantage and some of them "See through" the illusion, but others don't:
  1. Does the advantage entirely "turn off" if even one person sees through the glammour?
  2. If someone sees through the glammour, does the alternate form cease to function FOR THAT PERSON, causing them to interact with the shapeshifter as though they were in their native form?
  3. If the second is true, while advantages such as DR and Claws are simple to deal with, what about advantages such as Flight and Superjump?

I'm sure there are other issues to discuss.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Glamour on Alternate Forms

There's cosmetic only Alternate forms, I'm pretty sure. I allow "not cosmetic" AFs - -50% on the base 15 points, the effect is that
a) people that know you from one form can totally recognize you in the other, no significant rolls required
b) people that have seen both your forms can tell that you've changed between them.

Think Super Sayan power ups or whatever.

There's definitely a disguise aspect sort of separable from the template change aspect. I don't think the Glamour can rationally apply to the template change aspect - or anyways I wouldn't allow it in my games because it would cause me, the GM, active brain melting. :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote