Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Hide

Default Countering a "flurry” of deceptive attacks

Hey there,

I am playing in a fantasy setting, where our PCs are capable of surpassing the human standards of skill & proficiency; fret not, for it is fun. However, the more skillful the characters become, the more (and more) strategies become available to us (the players).

Of course this is double-edged game setting, because just as our characters get stronger, the NPCs get stronger as well. And so, I just faced an NPC that features (at least, regarding my combat-analysis):

Ambidexterity
Immortality
Double attacks
Extra attacks 2 (multi-strike)
Complementary battle skills 30+
ST above 20
Enhanced defenses

The NPC is SO strong, that even their intended "soft-attacks" are super deadly blows (i.e. aggressive breaks your leg). Since my encounter was sort of introductory, I was allowed to get away this time. As per storyline, my current (assumed) options are: (I) neutralizing the enemy (i.e. using pressure points), (II) maiming the enemy (i.e. targeted attacks) and (III) bringing the enemy to another NPC which has the power to beat the Boss NPC. My team and I might handle it, so let’s get into matter:

This NPC can take several attack maneuvers for feints and deceptive attacks and I need to:

Learn to counter that
Learn how to calculate the penalties to my defenses in case all of the attacks are successful
Learn if such kind of attacks are feasible (by the books*)

Example sequence of his attack (*Martial Arts + Basic)

1. Double attack sword: Feint & Feint
2. Extra attack 1, double attack sword: Deceptive (– 4 to skill – 2 to defenses, that’s the limit)
3. Extra attack 2, double attack sword: Feint & Deceptive attack (– 4)

Example sequence of his defense (Martial Arts + Basic)

Aggressive parry, deceptive (Also, It seems that their aggressive parries might stop my double attacks)
- OR -
1. Counter-attack:
a. Double attack sword: Feint & Feint
b. Extra attack 1, double attack sword: Deceptive (– 4 to skill – 2 to defenses, that’s the limit for this game-setting)
c. Extra attack 2, double attack sword: Feint & Deceptive attack (– 4)

And, is it possible to perform a flurry of deceptive attacks? Are those effects going to stack (besides the penalties to continuous parries?)

My character's basic battle-stats are: 20 SL for combat skills, 13 for dodge and 17 for parries. I also have teamwork and acrobatics.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks!

- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 01-25-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote