Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
ISNorden

Default Re: [Tethers/heretical] Music Tethers worldwide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
Ringing Rocks Park in Pennsylvania is a definite must (possibly shared with Stone, or perhaps they had a little scuffle over it). In my head, it's always been a Tether to Stone whose musically-inclined Seneschal would have been a contender with Israfel for Angel of Music had he not been already Word-Bound to the Tether. Makes you wonder--music does work startlingly well at unifying people, but under the control of now-Malakite David for centuries, how much different would Music be today?
I'd call it a shared Tether in this campaign; David probably does have a few angels interested in music's unifying power. It's easy to imagine an Angel of Work Songs with attunements from both David and Israfel, for instance... :-)

Quote:
A bizarre Tether could involve the band that played on as the Titanic sank. I thought that was a myth, but the internet seems to suggest it actually happened, and apparently the bandleader's body was recovered and is buried in England (which would make a more sensible Tether locus than someplace on the bottom of the ocean). Alternatively, the story could be recast as a result of the actions of an angelic Servitor of Music (but I dislike that; I prefer the stories of greatest heroism and villainy from human history to still have been acted out by humans in the IN universe).
The Hartley grave is probably a minor-to-average Music Tether, depending on how well known the site has become. Since the Titanic wreckage itself links to a Demon Prince of the Seas in my campaign, that avoids the awkward situation of two opposing Tethers on the same site.

Quote:
A more modern-day Tether could center on famous musicals--enough people have watched "The Sound of Music" to make a Tether on some random Austrian hillslope (or, more oddly, wherever they actually filmed that scene).
Assuming the movie was shot on location, I'd vote for the actual hillside where Julie Andrews performed...average but on the decline, since the scene has been parodied enough for Nybbas and Kobal to influence people's thinking.

Speaking of Music Tethers in Europe, though, I believe that Troldhaugen (the home of Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg) qualifies as a weak one.

Quote:
Broadway might host a Music Tether, but it's probably atrophying with the fall of the musical as the height of mass media (perhaps Nybbas was willing to sacrifice the musical from his arsenal to damage Israfel's influence on other parts of his Word). Maybe there's a Tether on the oldest surviving reel of "The Wizard of Oz" or somesuch, locked away in a basement in DC, NYC, or (more heretically) LA (!).
Broadway's Music Tether is probably weak but mobile, tied to the location of the musical with the best reviews. The storage place of the Wizard of Oz reel is a cool suggestion, though; I just might use it.

Last edited by ISNorden; 05-26-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: removed Bayreuth--already mentioned
ISNorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post

Broadway's Music Tether is probably weak but mobile, tied to the location of the musical with the best reviews. The storage place of the Wizard of Oz reel is a cool suggestion, though; I just might use it.
A Media Tether would be tied to the site of the best reviews, perhaps, but good music tends to endure regardless of what the critic thinks. Sadly, the site I'd most like to use, the old Ziegfield Theatre, was torn down in the '60s. That's where Showboat was performed, pretty much inaugurating the genre of "musical theater."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
A Media Tether would be tied to the site of the best reviews, perhaps, but good music tends to endure regardless of what the critic thinks. Sadly, the site I'd most like to use, the old Ziegfield Theatre, was torn down in the '60s. That's where Showboat was performed, pretty much inaugurating the genre of "musical theater."
I like the idea of a mobile Tether to the Media at the site of the musical with the best reviews, dueling with a mobile Tether to Music at the site of the musical with the current best musical quality (its Seneschal might have to be a Seraph to sort that out!). Despite Nybbas's best efforts, though, sometimes the media (little m) gets it right, and so on occasion they might become a Divine/Infernal forked Tether! Crazy! Great adventure seed, though.

And Music strikes me as a Word that would generate a lot of the "intense personal experience for one individual" Tethers (like canonical divine Fire and, less happily, Nightmares). A church where a Dark Ages bishop who never felt an iota of faith but obtained his benefice through political power heard one song sung so gorgeously that he recovered faith in God and switched from using his office for amassing wealth to helping lead people to their Destinies would make a great old, small Tether, whose Seneschal keeps the tradition alive (even though the story is long forgotten) by leading an internationally-famous choir from there. Or a school band room where a mocked teenager planned to commit suicide, stopped only by the hauntingly beautiful melody of a cello solo by the practicing orchestra teacher nearby (the teenager went on to achieve a potent Destiny despite the presence of Fate demons who had nearly driven him to suicide as a kid, and the band room is still a Tether to Music). Including those sorts of Tethers reinforces the human-centered nature of the War.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
And Music strikes me as a Word that would generate a lot of the "intense personal experience for one individual" Tethers (like canonical divine Fire and, less happily, Nightmares). ... Including those sorts of Tethers reinforces the human-centered nature of the War.
Very nice. Though sometimes the personal and the historic overlap. For example, there may still be a small section of the Atlantic where a passing sailor suddenly feels his heart lift almost in song ... because he's happened to pass through the Tether created in the midst of the storm that inspired "Amazing Grace."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel of music, heretical, israfel, suggestions wanted, tethers