Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
doulos05

Default 4E Special Forces Template

Hey, has anybody created a Special Forces template for 4E? Either converting forward the template in 3E Spec Ops or building from scratch? To be honest, I may even want something on the order of a SFOD-Delta operator type template, but Special Forces will suffice. If TL matters, it's for TL 9 or 10 (haven't quite decided yet what to call the Battletech universe in 3069, probably generally TL9 with a few TL10 items and a few pockets of TL8). What I really need is a template for someone who may be tapped to pull counter-terrorism or anti-terrorism duty (both covert and overt) at a high-profile conference.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: 4E Special Forces Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05
Hey, has anybody created a Special Forces template for 4E? Either converting forward the template in 3E Spec Ops or building from scratch? To be honest, I may even want something on the order of a SFOD-Delta operator type template, but Special Forces will suffice. If TL matters, it's for TL 9 or 10 (haven't quite decided yet what to call the Battletech universe in 3069, probably generally TL9 with a few TL10 items and a few pockets of TL8). What I really need is a template for someone who may be tapped to pull counter-terrorism or anti-terrorism duty (both covert and overt) at a high-profile conference.
Check out Hans-Christian Vortisch's "SEALS in Viet-Nam."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole
Check out Hans-Christian Vortisch's "SEALS in Viet-Nam."
Shucks, and I just spent my gaming budget till March-ish on Ultra-Tech and High-Tech... Oh well, let me ask this then: I'm not asking someone to repost said templates, but can someone tell me how many points those templates are so I can get a feel for the suggested power-level for a game like that? Or alternately does anybody have an opinion of how many points that power-level would require?
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Shucks, and I just spent my gaming budget till March-ish on Ultra-Tech and High-Tech... Oh well, let me ask this then: I'm not asking someone to repost said templates, but can someone tell me how many points those templates are so I can get a feel for the suggested power-level for a game like that? Or alternately does anybody have an opinion of how many points that power-level would require?
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=48

Average enlisted Navy SEAL is 275pts...
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Ultraviolet

Quote:
For my ongoing spec ops/mercenary campaign we use the templates found on this page:

http://krikkit.dk/ressource/gurps/4th/4specops.html

Please note that the main text on this page is primarily in danish. Don't let that frighten you off, just look at the top of the page for the links to various spec ops templates. We have SEAL, Airborne Rangers, Special Forces, Sf- Detachment Delta, SAS, some russian, japanese, south african and colombian also.
Ultraviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet
For my ongoing spec ops/mercenary campaign we use the templates found on this page:

http://krikkit.dk/ressource/gurps/4th/4specops.html

Please note that the main text on this page is primarily in danish. Don't let that frighten you off, just look at the top of the page for the links to various spec ops templates. We have SEAL, Airborne Rangers, Special Forces, Sf- Detachment Delta, SAS, some russian, japanese, south african and colombian also.
And several posters in this forum know enough Danish to be able to assist with translating tricky words.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
TheNinjaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
And several posters in this forum know enough Danish to be able to assist with translating tricky words.
The templates appear to be in English.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinjaD
The templates appear to be in English.
The templates also appear to have non-4e Gunner/Guns specializations such as Guns (Marksman) and Guns (Light Auto) and Gunner (HMG). I believe these should be Guns (Rifle) not sure what (Light Auto) should be since (Light Machine Gun) is in the template. And Gunner (HMG) should be just Gunner (Machine Gun).

Oh, and I think it's 22 SAS rather than 22nd SAS.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Ultraviolet

Sure, the templates themselves should should be in english. It was just meant as a warning, because the main text on the first page in in danish.

I should have noted, that these are an early and quick & dirty conversion from 3rd edition. Many years old now. So some things might fly with 4th ed fully. We're a lot wiser now, but still retain some odd things and house rules.

The templates reflect our house rules and conventions for guns specializations, not just reflecting the gun by itself, but also how it's used.

So any autofire is covered by Light Auto, SMGs and assault rifles both, and also semi-auto shots if not made from a stable position and aimed. While Marksman would be used for any aimed and immobile semi-shot. Light and medium MGs are covered by Light Machinegun skill, because the have the capacity for sustained and heavy fire, because they're belt fed and often have high RoF.

Note the skill "Sniping". This was a mental skill we invented for all the elite sniper stuff, to set apart someone just trained in firing a hunting rifle and a real sniper. For things like the Precision Aiming technique etc. Nowadays you'd just use the IQ based guns rolls and copious use of Observation.

But the disposition of the guns skills and levels in these templates reflect these. Those thought to focus on CQB would have higher Lt Auto than Marksman. Those thought to use more controlled fire, and engaging on longer ranges would be the opposite. And those who're sniper per se, have this sniping skill.

Finally, the skill Boating is a simplification and rationalization. Otherwise you'r need Boating for unpowered boats, Powerboat for motor/speed boats and SDV for underwater craft. If you want to go into added detail, switch back, and have any spec ops with Intermediate Warterborne get the addtional skills.
Ultraviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
7omnia7

Hi Ultraviolet, I can't find that link any more, could you please send me another link to that page?
7omnia7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
special ops