Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:06 AM   #1
Bubbagsj

Default Ogre disable result

Hi,
Has anyone ever played where if you get a disable result on an ogre whatever weapon being targeted is disabled for the next turn? My kids asked me why that isn't the case and I don't have a good reason other than it might upset the balance of the game. Any opinions? Thanks!
Bubbagsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: Ogre disable result

As I recall (from something I read in the last 40 years), the disable result means the crew is stunned and/or some systems are temporarily off-line. It takes them a few minutes to get the tank (and themselves) working again.

An Ogre doesn't have a crew, and has more redundancy and backup systems, so it can't be disabled. You have to destroy a system to stop it.

Rather than have a separate CRT for the Ogre that doesn't have any Ds, we just use the same CRT for everything, but treat Ds as NEs for the Ogre.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Bubbagsj

Hi,
Yes, I am aware that the CRT states that a D when attacking an ogre is treated as an NE. My question is has anyone ever played it where the D actually disables that particular weapon for a turn and then it comes back online the next turn? How badly would this change the dynamics of the game. Any input is welcome. Thanks!
Bubbagsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
tomc

It would make Ogres significantly less effective in GEV (green map rules), and tilt things totally toward the defender in Ogre (brown map rules).

It would be a *huge* difference in either game. It might still be fun, but you'd have to reduce the defending forces by a lot. Maybe reduce defenders by 1/3 to 1/2?

It's an interesting question.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
Desert Scribe

It would involve a lot of recordkeeping--noting which system was disabled, and remembering when it comes back online. Also, what do you do about subsequent targeting? Can the opponent target a weapon that's disabled, or would it be a random hit based on the number of that type of weapon left?
Old 01-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #6
FJCestero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
It would make Ogres significantly less effective in GEV (green map rules), and tilt things totally toward the defender in Ogre (brown map rules).

It would be a *huge* difference in either game. It might still be fun, but you'd have to reduce the defending forces by a lot. Maybe reduce defenders by 1/3 to 1/2?

It's an interesting question.
a) Yes, it would unbalance the game significantly. The Mark-V which is meant to terrify, would only be 'worth' maybe a dozen armor units instead of twenty. Scale infantry accordingly. A MkIII might equal a mere 6-8 tanks -- not exactly awe-inspiring. An Ogre is meant to be a 'one-man' army, not a 'one-man' squad or platoon.

b) It would also skew the fire-power balance of missiles vs. guns against guns since missiles are use-em-or-lose-em. You might allow that a disabled missile cell can't launch that turn, but so what? On a Mk.V you've got five others to choose from. The question of whether to shoot at guns or at missiles becomes a no-brainer.

c) It's not clear whether this rule change, as described, would include the 'two D's equal one X'. Again, huge change in how the game plays. And I'm not sure the extra record keeping is worth the game effect.

Just my thoughts.
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote