Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #11
Daigoro

Default Re: Occupational Forensics

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
A shepard's soft hands.
A mason's or lime burner's cough(?)
A hatter's madness.
A beat cop's saunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
For instance, woodworking tools are often sharp in unexpected places. leatherworking tools are kept polished clean except on the handle. I'm sure there are more that could be investigated.
Getting away from the medieval era, but it's always distracting for me when a movie or show has a media scrum scene, with extras all holding their SLR cameras the wrong way. People used to compact cameras hold the body with both hands, but photographers hold an SLR with one hand supporting the lens, to control the zoom and hold the camera's weight more evenly.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 11-08-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #12
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
People used to compact cameras hold the body with both hands, but photographers hold an SLR with one hand supporting the lens, to control the zoom and hold the camera's weight more evenly.
Left hand under the lens with fingers on the lens, right hand on the grip. Yup, it's a dead giveaway if a person holds a (D)SLR camera any other way.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
(E)

Another couple
A fisherman's knit, the knit patterns of fishermen's jerseys were distinctive at some points to help identify which village a body lost at sea came from.
In some cases they smoked with their pipes upside down. Which leads into how cigarettes were held/smoked by the different classes, ember towards the palm amongst the lower classes.

Bushmen (in NZ at least) were noted to have one shoulder higher or bigger than the other.

Flax workers had a unique aroma from retting.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #14
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
Left hand under the lens with fingers on the lens, right hand on the grip. Yup, it's a dead giveaway if a person holds a (D)SLR camera any other way.
That's how I hold any camera with a lens. I also tend to lean against something stable when I take a shot.

I was never a very good news photographer, but I did learn a few things from those who were.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Aside from the different "hands formed by cutting cork, laying slate, and polishing diamonds", two that Holmes remarked upon were a weaver's tooth (which has a groove worn in an upper lateral incisor by friction with a thread) and a compositor's left thumb. Having worked in a lot of kitchens I can tell you that right-handed cooks get cuts on their left hand and burns on their right one, left-handed ones vice versa.
I'm not at all a cook, so maybe that's why my experience is opposite. I pull things out of the oven with my right, so have suffered burns there. Actually, I have one at this moment.
And sometimes, being an idiot, I give my right hand a sharp object. Righty has stabbed lefty a few times in my life even though I don't have a twitch. My family jokes that it's jealous of lefty.
And I'm extremely left handed.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
khorboth

For the modern era, if one suspects they are of a given profession, find a show with that profession depicted and arrange to have them view it. Watch their reaction. Can any of us help but cringe at the wrongness?

Criminal investigation shows are good fodder for this. There's probably been a CSI, or NCIS or Law & order with your job on it. And it's been done just so wrong that you can't hide your reaction.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #17
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
For the modern era, if one suspects they are of a given profession, find a show with that profession depicted and arrange to have them view it. Watch their reaction. Can any of us help but cringe at the wrongness?

Criminal investigation shows are good fodder for this. There's probably been a CSI, or NCIS or Law & order with your job on it. And it's been done just so wrong that you can't hide your reaction.
There was (or maybe still is, I dunno) a show on CBS called Scorpion. Several of the characters were supposed to be computer experts, with one of them a master hacker. It was painful to watch.

I also learned something about the construction of nuclear fission reactors when my brother was in nuke school in the Navy - I looked through some of his unclassified notebooks. The Scorpion episode in which they had to do something inside a reactor building was the last one I could bring myself to watch (I kept hoping the show would improve, but that one killed that last gasp of hope).

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #18
ak_aramis

Mechanics invariably seem to have dark bits on the edge of the quick on the fingers. Most also tend to have smudges in odd places.

Most treble viol players (violin, viola) sit with the right leg tucked back - to keep the knee clear of the bow. It tends to be habitual. My stand partner in grade 7 (1981-'82) still did so in 2010, even tho' he quit playing in 1985. I tend to, as well; I don't play as oft as I should, and haven't played violin regularly in over a decade.
Cellists tend to sit knees apart - the cello's cutouts lock between the knees/thighs. Concert attire often shows slight wear from the cello.
Violin, viola, cello, and bass all use rosin on the bow... . Many violists (the collective for players of any of the 4) will often have small amounts on their clothes after performance or practice. Also, many will keep any fragment of rosin bigger then the width of the bow...
Note tho- for medieval viols, they were all played in the lap or betwixt the knees, like the cello; playing the trebles on the shoulder is largely a late renaissance transition.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
whswhs

This topic, by the way, was the starting point for Robert Heinlein's urban noir fantasy "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag." Worth a look if you haven't read it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #20
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm not at all a cook, so maybe that's why my experience is opposite. I pull things out of the oven with my right, so have suffered burns there. .
I used to do that and in College ended up with a huge burn on the back of my right hand from touching it to a heating element coil. It didn't really scar but it took _years_ to fade away. Now I'm much more careful about that sort of thing.

My last cosmetically large cooking wound ended up being on my foot because that's where the melted cheese splashed after the screaming hot container just out of the microwave got dropped and hit the floor. The doctor called it 2nd degree and expected it to pucker and scar but it hasn't. I can still see exactlyw here itr was 2 and 1/2 years later. I am more careful about trays of italianesque microwave dinners now too.

Things like my melted cheese splash damage might suggest that there's a significant random element in these sorts of risks/injuries.